PDA

View Full Version : Home Repiping and Tankless

rodnjen
12-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Anybody done this lately? I have an older home so the repiping appears to be a no-brainer, sh-tty water pressue, won't get hot, etc. I am considering a 175,000 Bosch tankless. I have a small home 1400 sq. ft. with 1 1/2 bathrooms.
Anone have any insight? I have two bids and am waiting on a third as we speak.
Thanks.

goneboatin
12-09-2005, 11:53 AM
The tankless water heater is a good idea if you like long hot showers and the person who takes a shower after you likes long hot showers. But my plumbing contractor here at the job says that they will run your gas bill up exponentially. You might want to check with a couple of other plumbers, my plumber might just be blowing smoke up my a$$.

ChumpChange
12-09-2005, 12:11 PM
The tankless water heater is a good idea if you like long hot showers and the person who takes a shower after you likes long hot showers. But my plumbing contractor here at the job says that they will run your gas bill up exponentially. You might want to check with a couple of other plumbers, my plumber might just be blowing smoke up my a$$.
Who's your plumber? I work in Glendora / San Dimas so I know a lot of plumbers.

MAINEVENT
12-09-2005, 12:13 PM
repiping wont give you water pressure just more volume....

HOOTER SLED-
12-09-2005, 12:17 PM
repiping wont give you water pressure just more volume....
Know about laying pipe and volume do ya?? :D

MAINEVENT
12-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Know about laying pipe and volume do ya?? :D
Yeah i lay pipe for a living :rollside:

rodnjen
12-09-2005, 12:19 PM
From what I've read, it should save a couple of bucks, not enought to offset the price. We are also hoping to save water over time, due to faster heating.
More volume is actually what we are looking for. The house was built in 1950 and appears to have galvanized pipes under the raised foundation.

MAINEVENT
12-09-2005, 12:22 PM
From what I've read, it should save a couple of bucks, not enought to offset the price. We are also hoping to save water over time, due to faster heating.
More volume is actually what we are looking for. The house was built in 1950 and appears to have galvanized pipes under the raised foundation.
Then yup that will work on a 3/4 inch line you maybe have 1/4 to a 1/2 inch of free space in the pipe with all that corrosion inside.....

ROZ
12-09-2005, 12:42 PM
There is validity to his statament. You use more gas when you're heating water a that moment, but there is no heating the tank throughout the day while when not in use.
My sister has one and is thinking about going back to a tank.. She has a hwrd time getting a stable warm water temp....

RiverToysJas
12-09-2005, 12:47 PM
I definately plan to go to a tankless waterheater, probably in the next year. Many of my neighbors have already done it, and none have thought it was a bad idea.
RTJas :D

6 balls
12-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Let me know if you want to get another estimate. We can do a 1 1/2 bath raised for about $3200 to $3500, including permit and patching.
Doug
http://www.pacificcoastcopperrepipe.com/

goneboatin
12-09-2005, 02:42 PM
Who's your plumber? I work in Glendora / San Dimas so I know a lot of plumbers.
I've got American Contractors Plumbing on a 10 building job out here in Chino. I asked about going tankless since I'm seeing rust crumbs around my water heater and need to change it out. He said that I'd have endless hot water, but my gas bill will go up too. Most water heaters last 10 -15 years, a 50 gallon heater at $400 - $500 is more cost effective than going tankless.
It's all about what you want.

rodnjen
12-09-2005, 02:47 PM
I've got American Contractors Plumbing on a 10 building job out here in Chino. I asked about going tankless since I'm seeing rust crumbs around my water heater and need to change it out. He said that I'd have endless hot water, but my gas bill will go up too. Most water heaters last 10 -15 years, a 50 gallon heater at $400 - $500 is more cost effective that going tankless.
It's all about what you want.
If it only heating when you use it, then why would your gas usage go up?

ROZ
12-09-2005, 03:16 PM
If it only heating when you use it, then why would your gas usage go up?
because it take a lot of heat(gas) to do it rapidly... they require a larger gas line as well...

YeLLowBoaT
12-09-2005, 03:56 PM
It all depends on how much hot water you use. If its just 2 ppl for example then you will save money. A family of 4 and you are going to spend alot more.
Really I would not put 1 in at this point in time( gas or eletric) I have talked with plumbers I know that are having to replace heating units at 3 years. There are also some water temp issues with them-- too hot/ too cold...
At this time the "trick" thing to do is to have one installed inline with your hot water tank. So that you add 10-15 degrees to your hot water so that you can run your tank at a lower temp.
I have been talking too alot of ppl about these units latly( plumbers / plumbing supply house, having alot of ppl ask about them) Almost every 1 of them has said "I would not install one in my house."

NorCal Gameshow
12-09-2005, 05:00 PM
my hot water heater is over 25 years old still works great. :)
gas supply line size is an issue with the tankless. you're looking at a lot of btu's if your furnace,dryer and water heater are going at the same time.

THATJEFFGUY
12-10-2005, 09:26 AM
Anybody done this lately? I have an older home so the repiping appears to be a no-brainer, sh-tty water pressue, won't get hot, etc. I am considering a 175,000 Bosch tankless. I have a small home 1400 sq. ft. with 1 1/2 bathrooms.
Anone have any insight? I have two bids and am waiting on a third as we speak.
Thanks.
I just had three of my properties re-piped. The houses are in historical Orange, built in the early 1900's, and repiping made a HUGE difference !! Let me know if you need a good reasonably priced plumber.

Punchy
12-10-2005, 02:00 PM
the other thing you need to consider is if you run a recirculating pump or not....we have a 1950's style house and had to run a recirc pump so we weren't waiting forever for hot water in the furthest bathroom...if we went tankless we would still have to run the pump and sort of trick the tankless unit to come on more often so the recirc system would work...it wouldn't save us any money because the tankless system would then be running just as much as the tanked system....the only way to get around this is to mount the tankless unit in the house, like in the attic somewhere, where it was equall distance from all the fixtures.....

rodnjen
12-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the info. Both bathrooms will be within 12 feet of the system, the kicthen is the furthest point, so not sure how that will work. We are a family of 3, (1yr old). I recently (5yrs ago) replaced the main from the meter and its 3/4's. The deal I was looking at was for the Bosch system. I'm still leaning toward trying it. I suppose I could always go back to a conventional tank system without it being too expensive of lesson.