PDA

View Full Version : LCD TV Question

Powerquestboy
12-09-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm looking for an LCD TV for the wall in my pool room something around 20 inch's is all I really want. I know nothing about TV's. THere is a 20 inch Phillips at Sams Club for $419. Not HD but it says its "enhanced definition". I hear cox will be all in HD in a few years so am I stupid to buy something thats not HD? Is this TV a good deal? Or am I better off spending a little more money and getting an LG, Sony or something else thats HD ready?
Thanks

Wally_Gator
12-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Others who may know more than I can chime in here...
EDTV is a TV with less resolution than a true HDTV and they down convert the
HD signal to work on the lower resolution.
If you want a HD set... You should consider...
1. There are many out there that support many different resolutions...
They are measured by the number of horizontal lines. Current NTSC (regular TV's) are 480i. Then we can talk about interlaced or progressive.
720p 1080i and 1080p.
The holy grail right now is 1080p...
Yet a good DVD only supports 480p at this time. The new Blue-ray or HD-DVD's
will only support the 720p as it's highest (currently).
Some broadcasters are transmitting at 1080i....
So in short. Get a true HDTV that supports 1080i...
I hope this helps..

Flashover
12-09-2005, 01:40 PM
I agree with Wally here, Spend a little more now for a true HD TV so you dont end up buying another one down the road to replace it. You should still be able to find one for a decent price.. :crossx: Also find a mounting bracket that will sit flush but still allow you to swing it out and move around, Those are great. :crossx:

ROZ
12-09-2005, 02:21 PM
Others who may know more than I can chime in here...
EDTV is a TV with less resolution than a true HDTV and they down convert the
HD signal to work on the lower resolution.
If you want a HD set... You should consider...
1. There are many out there that support many different resolutions...
They are measured by the number of horizontal lines. Current NTSC (regular TV's) are 480i. Then we can talk about interlaced or progressive.
720p 1080i and 1080p.
The holy grail right now is 1080p...
Yet a good DVD only supports 480p at this time. The new Blue-ray or HD-DVD's
will only support the 720p as it's highest (currently).
Some broadcasters are transmitting at 1080i....
So in short. Get a true HDTV that supports 1080i...
I hope this helps..
There are also dvd players that upgrade signal to 720p, but the stepup is only as good as it's processor...
Rumor has it that Pioneer is working in Ultraviolet vs Blue laser ... where will is end?!? Since it's all about storage, I guess a taradvd isn't far off! :D

faster
12-09-2005, 02:38 PM
I just installed a 1080P about a month ago, Awesome TV, My only complaint would be the Aethetics of the Cabinet.

Boa1277
12-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Hey Wal Mart has 20 inch HD Samsung LCD for under 500 bucks my friend just bought one and put it over his bar, nice little set and has a great picture. Good Luck.

little rowe boat
12-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Why not just go Plasma???

Boa1277
12-09-2005, 09:38 PM
I saw a 42 inch HD plasma at Cosco it was called Maxent and it also had a really nice picture, it was right next to the Pioneer and I couldnt tell the difference. The best part was it was only 1469.00 thats cheap for a hd plasma.

HOOTER SLED-
12-09-2005, 09:38 PM
EDTV=29' V with a 4.3L
Great analogy. That really puts it in perspective there. :D

HOOTER SLED-
12-09-2005, 09:39 PM
I saw a 42 inch HD plasma at Cosco it was called Maxent and it also had a really nice picture, it was right next to the Pioneer and I couldnt tell the difference. The best part was it was only 1469.00 thats cheap for a hd plasma.
Plasmas have come way down in price.

HOOTER SLED-
12-09-2005, 09:44 PM
So TV gurus, answer me this. True the plasmas are gonna give you a non-replaceable bulb? Lasts maybe 5 years so to speak?? Versus the LCDs and DLPs that have a replaceable bulb AND better pictures? Yet the plasmas have the better pics in a bright environment?
Here is my situation. I have an outside patio area that I'd like to install a big TV in. Obviously it will not be used everyday. BUt I still want a good ass picture. And I would like it as visible as possible from all angles. PLasma or LCD or DLP or WTF????

Jyruiz
12-09-2005, 10:07 PM
The plasma will give the second best picture after CRT, then it is a toss up between SXRD, DLP, then maybe JVC's Dila and rear projection LCD. The plasmas now a days will last 60k hours if used with the new saving feature, also, plasmas are prone to burn in. Even 30k hours is a long time, specially if you are not going to use it as much. Saying all this though, the picture quality will only be as good as the source you are feeding it.

HOOTER SLED-
12-09-2005, 10:13 PM
The plasma will give the second best picture after CRT, then it is a toss up between SXRD, DLP, then maybe JVC's Dila and rear projection LCD. The plasmas now a days will last 60k hours if used with the new saving feature, also, plasmas are prone to burn in. Even 30k hours is a long time, specially if you are not going to use it as much. Saying all this though, the picture quality will only be as good as the source you are feeding it.
I can hook up Direct TV for the patio. I would also at times during nicer weather. Go out there and kick it and watch a DVD movie.

Jyruiz
12-09-2005, 10:27 PM
If you are not going to watch HD, at all back there, then I would not get an HD set, the anolog or digital picture will look like crap on an HD TV. Enhance would be good enough for your patio.

JAM
12-09-2005, 10:27 PM
You have to ask yourself this: While the HDTV undoubtably has a better pic than EDTV with a High Def source, will the resolution difference be all that great on a 20" screen ??

Jyruiz
12-09-2005, 10:32 PM
You have to ask yourself this: While the HDTV undoubtably has a better pic than EDTV with a High Def source, will the resolution difference be all that great on a 20" screen ??
Forgot this will be a 20" screen, get what ever you like then. If you are not going to be right in front of the TV, then you might not see much of a difference.

rivrbrat
12-10-2005, 06:45 AM
The problem with all LCD's & Plasma's is the life span is to short for the money, pixels will start burning out in 5-7 years if not before. When buying one check there returns policy most manufactures will not replace or repair under warrantee unless there are a certain amount of pixels that are burned out. I bought one that had a pixel out right in the middle of screen, and sony didn't give a shit would not fix it.
Been there done that.

Wally_Gator
12-12-2005, 08:09 AM
The number of pixels out before repair is VERY standard in the business.
We have laptops and LCD monitors here that go back all the time. (Alot of equipment)
But really , one has to ask... What am I going to do when all broadcast stations go HD? What is the date? 2007? Not too far away... At that time you need to either buy a HD tuner that will down convert or upgrade your tv.
Outdoors on a patio? I am thinking Plasma.. Just beware of burn in..

HOOTER SLED-
12-12-2005, 08:15 AM
The number of pixels out before repair is VERY standard in the business.
We have laptops and LCD monitors here that go back all the time. (Alot of equipment)
But really , one has to ask... What am I going to do when all broadcast stations go HD? What is the date? 2007? Not too far away... At that time you need to either buy a HD tuner that will down convert or upgrade your tv.
Outdoors on a patio? I am thinking Plasma.. Just beware of burn in..
I'd be using it for sports events or maybe a movie out there.

Boa1277
12-12-2005, 08:39 AM
I would go Plasma you can view it from almost any angle, they are brighter, and how much tv are you going to watch outside the average life of a Plasma is 5 to 7 yrs thats watching TV the national average of 5 to 7hrs a day add it up I bet you either sell your home or remodel the patio before the tv ever dies. Besides that plamas are not that expensive anymore, I saw a HD Plasma at costco 42inch for 1500 bucks thats not bad remember when we would buy those cruddy projections for 3 to 4 thousand dollars. Good Luck.

Jyruiz
12-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Plasmas are not made in the 20" size he is looking for.

HOOTER SLED-
12-12-2005, 08:42 AM
I would go Plasma you can view it from almost any angle, they are brighter, and how much tv are you going to watch outside the average life of a Plasma is 5 to 7 yrs thats watching TV the national average of 5 to 7hrs a day add it up I bet you either sell your home or remodel the patio before the tv ever dies. Besides that plamas are not that expensive anymore, I saw a HD Plasma at costco 42inch for 1500 bucks thats not bad remember when we would buy those cruddy projections for 3 to 4 thousand dollars. Good Luck.
This is what I was thinking. I know, I bought the current big screen I have in my family room for like $2200. It's a 55" Mitsubishi. I think I will be doing plasma.

Boa1277
12-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Plasmas are not made in the 20" size he is looking for.
I was trying to advise Hooter, I already recomended the Samsung for a 20inch HD LCD over at Walmart for under 500 dollars go look at the picture you can tell the difference between a standard 20 or a 20 HD they have them right next to each other.

Jyruiz
12-12-2005, 09:08 AM
I was trying to advise Hooter, I already recomended the Samsung for a 20inch HD LCD over at Walmart for under 500 dollars go look at the picture you can tell the difference between a standard 20 or a 20 HD they have them right next to each other.
Yes you can tell the difference, if you are standing two feet in front of them. The farther you are from the TV, the harder it will be to see the imperfections, specially on a 20" TV.

BoatPI
12-12-2005, 09:21 AM
If you go plasma, don't go the cheap Costco stuff. There is a diff! I got the Panasonic plasma 42PX series and never looked back. Even Consumers Reports place this #1. The 42" sells for $2,995 and last weekend Best Buy had it for 10% off, or a 50" for about $3,995.

ROZ
12-12-2005, 11:13 AM
If you go plasma, don't go the cheap Costco stuff. There is a diff! I got the Panasonic plasma 42PX series and never looked back. Even Consumers Reports place this #1. The 42" sells for $2,995 and last weekend Best Buy had it for 10% off, or a 50" for about $3,995.
It's been a well received tv... Almost everyone has oversold on this unit and it's become a little hard to find. Panasonic told us not to hold our breath waiting for replenishment until the beginning of next month... We are over sold on some models +30 units... Hopefully we do get the shipments ontime....
Another good one is a Pioneer pdp42a3hd.....

Boa1277
12-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Why would you spend that much for a patio TV, it really doesnt make a whole lot of sense to spend that kind of money on something that is going to be outside. I find it funny when people chime in and dont read the whole thread, they sell the Pioneer at Costco, the Panasonic is nice but not that much of a picture difference to justify the money. Plasma is Plasma I love it when the sales guy trys to upsell you on all the good stuff inside, TVs are the easiest thing in the world to purchase I worked at Circuit City during the winter for a couple of years and I remember the old Pro Scan televisions made by RCA they had all of the good stuff in them but they just looked like crap when you turned them on. When you buy a TV look at the picture if you like it, and it is within the budget buy it 99% of the time you will be happy with your purchase, if you are worried about a non name brand buy at Costco and save your receipt they will take anything back!!!
As far a a 20' inch LCD 2ft 10ft who cares when you can spend 100 more dollars and get HD at least you will be able to watch HD programs on it if you want to and you can tell the difference go look and change how far away you stand you will be able to tell the difference. Good Luck

Jyruiz
12-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Why would you spend that much for a patio TV, it really doesnt make a whole lot of sense to spend that kind of money on something that is going to be outside. I find it funny when people chime in and dont read the whole thread, they sell the Pioneer at Costco, the Panasonic is nice but not that much of a picture difference to justify the money. Plasma is Plasma I love it when the sales guy trys to upsell you on all the good stuff inside, TVs are the easiest thing in the world to purchase I worked at Circuit City during the winter for a couple of years and I remember the old Pro Scan televisions made by RCA they had all of the good stuff in them but they just looked like crap when you turned them on. When you buy a TV look at the picture if you like it, and it is within the budget buy it 99% of the time you will be happy with your purchase, if you are worried about a non name brand buy at Costco and save your receipt they will take anything back!!!
As far a a 20' inch LCD 2ft 10ft who cares when you can spend 100 more dollars and get HD at least you will be able to watch HD programs on it if you want to and you can tell the difference go look and change how far away you stand you will be able to tell the difference. Good Luck
A lot of what you have said is true, but the difference between plasmas or any HD TV's for that matter are the scalers. You can't tell me that a Pio Elite plasma will look the same as the no name brand plasma, it just won't happen. The better Plasmas or TV's will do a better job converting analog signals to HD.

ROZ
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
A lot of what you have said is true, but the difference between plasmas or any HD TV's for that matter are the scalers. You can't tell me that a Pio Elite plasma will look the same as the no name brand plasma, it just won't happen. The better Plasmas or TV's will do a better job converting analog signals to HD.
Exactly.... As I always say, it's all about the math... Also, the Elite's screen is the darkest GREY i've seen so far.... :)
But like the guy said , it is a patio tv.... Did a Sony 42" plasma on a patio for a guy a while back. It was infront of his spa... had surround sound, too ... Ballers :D

riverroyal
12-13-2005, 10:43 AM
50inch is getting replaced by smart systems tech,in oc.No questions asked,no issues.The best company I have dealt with in years

ROZ
12-13-2005, 10:47 AM
50inch is getting replaced by smart systems tech,in oc.No questions asked,no issues.The best company I have dealt with in years
Finally? wow.. In time for christmas?

riverroyal
12-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Finally? wow.. In time for christmas?
yes,SST just got involved,we thought it was a cable signal issue,the TV must have been damaged with all the electrical issues ive had here in the house.Its not even SSTs problem,they just are great,you need to work for them!