PDA

View Full Version : Mag or MSD

Fired Up
11-30-2001, 08:46 PM
First I want to say thanks to you "guys who know more" for responding to these questions. Are there not benefits to using a magneto ignition vs an MSD type of ignition system in a carbureted motor. The motor I'm considering is a 468BBC, 2x660's, 13:1 compression, roller cam, Mag ignition system. I have heard that the MSD type ignition can shock the life out of you, but everyone seems to use them. Literally. Is a magneto safer and easier? thanks,

Infomaniac
11-30-2001, 09:15 PM
F.U.
If you plan to run an alternator use the MSD. A mag is independent of the boat's electrical system.
If the boat is race only, the battery will have to be fully charged between each round when using the MSD. The race only versions have features that a mag does not have. The non race versions only produce multiple sparks around idle RPM to help the plugs not load up from long overlap cams.
The best answer to your question is use an MSD Magneto not described above.
You will get multiple opinions asking questions here. This is just mine.

DEL51
12-01-2001, 12:20 AM
Fired up,I have used a Vertex Magneto and a MSD 6 AL, retard box,billet distributor,and I have used the crank trigger system.The MSD has options you can add and it works well with nitrous.The auto versions are rebuildable,the marine version is "potted", which means the internal components are encased in plastic and can't be repaired reasonably.The Magneto needs to have the points replaced once in a while and the magnets have to be recharged.There are a couple of different kinds of magnetos, internal and external coils.External coil mags need a battery.I have the internal coil type.I was told that magnetos consume up to 20 horsepwer when spinning at full throttle.I like both systems.The magneto has simplicity and the msd has the options.The cost is close to even if you get a spark box, distributor, coil and wires.One thing you may like about the magneto,with all that compression,is you can get the motor cranking then turn on the magneto and light er up.The msd will have to have a safe & dry mounting place.If you get the magneto, you need a kill switch and maybe a new tach that is compatable.Mags run tight spark gaps compared to the msd.I am referring to the internal coil vertex mag.I don't have any experience with the other types.Parts avilability favors the Msd if something goes wrong.Good Luck,DEL51

pgf127rt
12-01-2001, 07:30 AM
Firedup, over my years of racing a flatbottom, I have experimented with several types of ignitions, including magneto's, but the one that gets my vote for the most user friendly and for serviceability at the track, is the msd crank trigger, with the 7AL box, all you need is a good battery, and a charger to keep it topped off between rounds, their reliability is unbelievable, and in over 8 years of using them I never lost a round due to the ignition, lost a bunch because of pilot error, but that is another story, however the mag will suffice until you get more familiar with all of the options available to you, and then it comes down to a personal preference.
[This message has been edited by pgf127rt (edited December 01, 2001).]