PDA

View Full Version : Chevy 572?

Wet Dream
12-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Is anyone running the Chevy Crate 572 (620 pump gas version) yet? I've been talking to a good friend of mine and since the Gen 6's are relatively newer, they don't seem to be widely used yet.
http://www.sdpc2000.com/images/products/fixed_7433437_3731612.jpg

Taylorman
12-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Talk to Duane at HTP. They did and said out the box it turned a AA impeller to 5600 rpms.

Raylar
12-10-2005, 01:01 PM
I have seen the 572 crate motors by GM in production at PAS in Detroit. Fairly nice components and darn good assembly techniques for a crate motor. Before you consider one of these for real HP marine use, you need to consider the costs of reworking one for (1)a good marine 10 qt pan,(2) changing the camshaft and valve springs minimum for a stable reliable valve train and marine type cam specs. (3) installing an adequate oil cooler system, (4) re-tuning the motor for boat torque and power loadings, (5) add a good marine exhaust, (6) a complete raw water pump and pulley system, marine alternator and starter. If you buy the motor at about 13K, make these required changes and addtions you are probably going to be close to a good custom built marine HiPo engine in total cost. I believe the warranty on the 572 crate motor specifically mentions no warranty for marine use, but I could be wrong. Just a few thoughts before someone jumps in before weighing the total costs and options? Don't get me wrong , done right this is an excellent motor package, especially for street rods.
Ray @ Raylar

Wet Dream
12-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Raylar, thats what I was looking for. Several things like that and also does the exhaust have the same bolt and flow patterns as any other BBC so that someone could slap on a pair of OT's and go? I figured that cam would have to be more marine applied and maybe even have the crank massaged for a little looser clearances on the mains and rods. Oil cooler always. Larger pan? I'm sure someone is making one out there, but this doesn't require a water pump, this a jet application. ;) I know, I didn't specify that earlier. As for the warranty, its no better than the 502/502. But I've seen the 502 hold up well in the jets.

Stingray69
12-13-2005, 10:16 AM
http://www.speedwake.com/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30704

NOTALENT
12-13-2005, 01:22 PM
I know there are a few people running them and some old treads if you do the search...but the one's who are running them tore them apart to marinize them(make them ready for marine use). Awesome motor though..

Taylorman
12-13-2005, 01:48 PM
Are you thinking about buying one? I think you could get more bang for the buck by having a marine engine built. Check with infomaniac or some of the other buiders.

C-2
12-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Obnoxiuos001 and I saw a 620HP model go for $8K on ebay - New, still on the crate. Only drwaback was driving to Idaho to pick it up.
Somebody got a smokin deal though!