PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Wear OK in Packing Area?

El Prosecutor
12-10-2005, 11:15 AM
I am rebuilding a 12jc pump for the first time and have noticed quite a bit of wear on the shaft where it contacts the packings (just forward of the thrust bearing). Anybody have suggestions on how much wear is acceptable before the shaft should be replaced? :cool: Would using a graphite/rope style packing make an effective seal? :idea: I am not made of money but want the rebuild to last. This is a family/pleasure boat, not a racer.

sidewound
12-10-2005, 05:01 PM
Mine had some wear on it when I rebuilt and I've had no problems yet.
How bad is yours? I don't think their's a measure for acceptable wear.
As long as your not putting monster hp to it you'll prolly be allright.
I used the black graphite and don't have any problem.
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

FLEA DIDDY
12-10-2005, 05:11 PM
What's an exceptable amount of drip from those packing glands? I had a slow stream of water dripping from there right before I pulled the motor?

Squirtin Thunder
12-10-2005, 05:20 PM
What's an exceptable amount of drip from those packing glands? I had a slow stream of water dripping from there right before I pulled the motor?
You want a little drip, if you have a stream then tighten it up a tad till it stops and back it off a quarter turn. If it does not go away then replace the packing.
I would say about 86% of the original shafts have some small amount of wear on them.

sanger rat
12-10-2005, 05:22 PM
Get the new packing seal from Don's pump service and you'll never have to worry about it again. HTP sell's them too.

wet77
12-11-2005, 06:58 AM
Get the new packing seal from Don's pump service and you'll never have to worry about it again. HTP sell's them too.
Had mine in all summer and loved it :)
Just pop it in and tighten down the nuts and your good to go!
No more leaks :rollside:

Hipshot
12-11-2005, 11:38 AM
Please tell me about this new packing seal. How does it work and if it is better than the old rope deal why isn't everyone running them?

squirt
12-11-2005, 12:07 PM
From the title of this thread this subject sure sounds like a Kim Hansen thread. Shaft wear around the packing area, drips and leaks, damn near lost my breakfast :2purples:

Duane HTP
12-11-2005, 02:28 PM
The packing replacement seal unit.
http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/Copy_of_Shaft_Seal_3.jpg
if it is better than the old rope deal why isn't everyone running them?
Because it hasn't been available that long and people are just now finding out about it.

Hipshot
12-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Duane, I know you sell them, but would you please give me your honest opinion on running them? Do they work better than the rope deals? It seems like they would have less drag. Also, how long do they last, or have they not been out long enough to find out? Is there a grease zerk somewhere on that deal?

Rondane
12-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Because it hasn't been available that long and people are just now finding out about it.
Was told by a local racer it's more intended for them and not much for the lake boater especially if you boat in merky water such as i do.
It's like the tail shaft seal,once a groove gets in the shaft, there is nothing you can do to hold the oil in, except grease. Too bad only water goes thru that area of the packing seal. If it does go bad, you'd have to take the whole pump apart again to get it out, unlike the graphite, which to me is a drawback and something to consider.
Dont know for sure, thats just the word in these parts.

sanger rat
12-11-2005, 05:23 PM
Even if the seal could wear a groove in the shaft it would take years. Something you would never have to worry about. I'm happy with mine and would recommend it to anybody.

Duane HTP
12-11-2005, 06:33 PM
I've not heard a bad report from anyone I've installed them for, or from anyone I've sold one to. Only bad speculation from people who haven't tried them yet. But that's typical of the jet boat industry. It's NEW! I've had one in my personal boat, blown 572 Chevy that runs 100 +, for three years now without a drip. I've probably put a dozen in race pumps also. I would say they work better because they don't leak or drip. However, I've never really had a problem with the rope packing either. How long do they last? Don't know yet. Maybe in 5 or 6 years I'll know.

HammerDown
12-11-2005, 06:35 PM
The OE wax type rope packing had wire in it (of all things) :rolleyes: and yes my shaft had some pretty deep grooves in it. :notam:
No biggie...I just installed GFO Graphite type packing. Been in my pump for years and years...no leak, no problem. :cool:

Duane HTP
12-11-2005, 07:04 PM
That wire in the packing was lead. It was there for lubrication.

Hipshot
12-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Thank you Duane.

HammerDown
12-11-2005, 07:20 PM
That wire in the packing was lead. It was there for lubrication.
Sure was some tough lead...seemed more like stanless wire :rolleyes:

El Prosecutor
12-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Thanks to all for the responses - good info so far. Here is a pic of the actual situation (attached). Opinions on the severity of wear, and which packing type is best for this situation would be appreciated. So far I am waffling between the black graphite rope and the new style seal from HTP :) . Not worrying about adjusting packing nuts sounds good, and if the shaft was new I would just about be convinced to try the new style. Instinctively however, it seems to me that the graphite might be more forgiving on a worn shaft. :argue: Any wisdom out there?

Squirtin Thunder
12-11-2005, 09:46 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10145

sanger rat
12-11-2005, 11:15 PM
If the shaft bothers you that much you could have it rechromed.

Rondane
12-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Thanks to all for the responses - good info so far. Here is a pic of the actual situation (attached). Opinions on the severity of wear, and which packing type is best for this situation would be appreciated. So far I am waffling between the black graphite rope and the new style seal from HTP :) . Not worrying about adjusting packing nuts sounds good, and if the shaft was new I would just about be convinced to try the new style. Instinctively however, it seems to me that the graphite might be more forgiving on a worn shaft. :argue: Any wisdom out there?
I'm sorry if i am messing up a sale here...wow! The guy wanted an HONEST opinion so i figured i'd pipe up. Guess i'll go back to lurking stage. :D I dont have anything to gain or lose here. Just my opinion. My info came from guy who is a local racer who i know wouldnt be feeding me a line. He uses that new seal in his raceboat matter of fact but just stated it needs some sort of lubrication...and muddy, silty water wont do it much good. He told me to stick with graphite and be done with it. Sounds logical no? Can you adjust where that seal rides on the shaft or is it set in one place only for good? If it's adjustable sounds like a cool deal. If not and by chance is burns and wears a groove and wont seal anymore then what? Same thing as a bowl seal if you think about it. If you pull your pump apart all the time it's one thing but i wont plan on pulling mine apart for years to come when i rebuild mine so..... How long it will take..months, years, centuries..who knows. I just would hate to pay twice as much for something for it to last half as long. Spend you extra money on something to make you faster.