PDA

View Full Version : Build a K-Boat.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-10-2005, 02:06 PM
http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/How%20to%20build%20a%20K-Boat.jpg http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/How%20to%20build%20a%20K-Boat%20001.jpg http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/How%20to%20build%20a%20K-Boat%20002.jpg http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/How%20to%20build%20a%20K-Boat%20003.jpg http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysgallery/albums/userpics/10001/How%20to%20build%20a%20K-Boat%20006.jpg

Sangster
12-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Well...If that's all there is to it......

dmontzsta
12-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks Jerry, I will get started right now, probably be finished up in about an hour.

Snowboat
12-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Thanks Jerry. I enjoyed that one a lot. Do all K's have full length angle for rails, or do they fab up a U shaped channel? Is it a secret what kind of cams are in the K's? Out me down for a couple of River Rat vids. Let me know when to pay. Good luck on your boat.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-10-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks Jerry. I enjoyed that one a lot. Do all K's have full length angle for rails, or do they fab up a U shaped channel? Is it a secret what kind of cams are in the K's? Out me down for a couple of River Rat vids. Let me know when to pay. Good luck on your boat.
Hey Ken,
Not all K's have full length rails (Billys boat doesn't). The are made from 2 pieces, the outer upside down L and inner plate. Cam choice varys from one engine builder to the next. You'll notice the fin brace they install, that is something you don't see too often.
Vids should be done by the end of the week. :cool:

boatguy222
12-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Jerry,
Do you know who made that Strut? Was something that Ray made? It's really neat idea!
Thanks,
Marc

Snowboat
12-10-2005, 07:29 PM
Thanks, Jerry. I assume there will be a notice on the boards. I'm going to brace the strut at both ends and the rear of the fins, similar to Sammons setup. Thanks for the info.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Jerry,
Do you know who made that Strut? Was something that Ray made? It's really neat idea!
Thanks,
Marc
All I did was scan and post. I couldn't tell you anything about where they got stuff. :(

GofastRacer
12-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Ken, you use angle on one side and flat on the other not fabbed channel,(that wouldn't work due to discepencies in the strigers)some like to mill the angle to match the flat to make it look like it's completely boxed, personally I like the edge of the stringers exposed so I mill it back a bit(you seen mine)it don't effect structure!.. In a K boat I would extend it to to include the v-drive just to tie it all together, less stress on the stringers!....

GofastRacer
12-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Thanks, Jerry. I assume there will be a notice on the boards. I'm going to brace the strut at both ends and the rear of the fins, similar to Sammons setup. Thanks for the info.
Hey Ken, send me a pic of your your strut block, you may be able to make one across the top, might save you some material and work???..

72 superlite
12-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Hmmm, an enclosed strut, where have I seen one of those before??

FlatRat
12-11-2005, 06:29 AM
Jerry,
great info.When do the K's run @ Mission Bay next season?
72 Superlite...you still out there?

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-11-2005, 08:16 AM
Jerry,
great info.When do the K's run @ Mission Bay next season?
72 Superlite...you still out there?
Probably around the 2nd weekend in sept. Do a search on Bayfair or check the IHBA schedule.

RaysonKid
12-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey, George Woods.
Another old Northwest racer.
Superlite. That K boat thing looks easy.
Lets turn your Sanger into one...
You already have the stack tank. :cool:

Sanger D
12-11-2005, 10:41 AM
very bitchin thread!!! thanks jerry! .................hey ken, hows the weather up there? hope alls well with you and the Mrs. Merry Christmas!!! :)

boatguy222
12-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Hmmm, an enclosed strut, where have I seen one of those before??
don't be such a show-off!LOL

72 superlite
12-12-2005, 08:31 PM
yep flatrat still here. whats new up your way??? money was a little tight so I didn't make to Moses Lake this year.

72 superlite
12-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Oh yeah boatguy 222, take this. I know where Krazy Kanaka again, K-67 is. I saw it, I even touched it. It still has the flower lai on it and all the original lettering. He has the wing and fuel tank from its K boat days. He's not selling. I told him if he ever wanted to, to let me know, and he said take a number. It's tucked away in the back corner of a shop surrounded by projects of the four wheel variety. Call me a show off will you! And another thing we are all show offs, if we weren't we would be boating in bayliner capris.

boatguy222
12-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah boatguy 222, take this. I know where Krazy Kanaka again, K-67 is. I saw it, I even touched it. It still has the flower lai on it and all the original lettering. He has the wing and fuel tank from its K boat days. He's not selling. I told him if he ever wanted to, to let me know, and he said take a number. It's tucked away in the back corner of a shop surrounded by projects of the four wheel variety. Call me a show off will you! And another thing we are all show offs, if we weren't we would be boating in bayliner capris.
You know the really funny thing? I have never seen that boat :cry: , I have only seen the red SS boat. but it sure would be nice to own an old K-boat, that held the world record. It sould be restored, and shown if not driven.
You know I think your right, we all show off a little.LOL

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-12-2005, 10:11 PM
That aint right! You could've snapped a pic for those of us who appreciate something like this :cry: :)

72 superlite
12-13-2005, 09:15 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099k_67.jpg Looked like this, minus the wing, the blown motor, and the driver. it now has a bbc with a single carb, logs and over the transom pipes. I will get some current pictures of it. I told the guy I would bring him the video and pictures I have from back in the day, so I'll get some shots then.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
12-13-2005, 10:14 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/516/1099k_67.jpg Looked like this, minus the wing, the blown motor, and the driver. it now has a bbc with a single carb, logs and over the transom pipes. I will get some current pictures of it. I told the guy I would bring him the video and pictures I have from back in the day, so I'll get some shots then.
The only pics I've ever seen were with the wing. I was hoping to see some current pics. :)

boatguy222
12-14-2005, 04:33 AM
Rick,
This is the only picture of that boat I have seen. It's the one that was in Hot Boat 3 or so years ago when they did a story on Leonard.
If you look at that page the boat in the lower right, K-51, is the one my old man rigged back in the day. Kool stuff!

CircleJerk
12-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Not following ya big guy......you have a video headed your way, will you explain to these dudes how cool it is for a bunch of banjo players!!?? Where's K51?

CircleJerk
12-14-2005, 09:41 AM
The only pics I've ever seen were with the wing. I was hoping to see some current pics. :)
I understand that this was one of the most potent circle race teams of the times but how did he get used to the ribbing he must have taken for all the flowers?? That's one ugly boat and the wing looks like it came from Don Garlits scrap pile! There I said it! Maybe now he'll come to one of our races to punch my lights out. Signed: The jErKiZoid
PS Hey I have a wing uglier than that, anyone want to recreate this Nostalgic boat? Dossanger needs competition he can beat!

boatguy222
12-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Not following ya big guy......you have a video headed your way, will you explain to these dudes how cool it is for a bunch of banjo players!!?? Where's K51?
Boyd,
It's not that hard, go to your old pile of Hot Boat Magazines, find the July of 2002 copy, go the page 60. It should say Leonard Schiada at the top of the page. You will see Rick's picture of the K-67 boat. the picture below and to the right is K-51, Classis Schiada flatbottom checker board gelcoat. There was raceboats before they made Lavey-Crafts. :rolleyes:

RaysonKid
12-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Jerk,
Don Dew was big enough and cool enough to have the flowers on two boats.
His driving pretty much shut up any of the ribbing...

CircleJerk
12-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Heard a story about Washington circle racers Supposedly Mr. Jones had been working all night on the SS400 (might be the wrong boat #) and he fell asleep in the shop late at night. Along came the race crew who loaded up the boat and tools and left him there sleeping....When the sun awoke Mr Jones he rushed by car to the race site and met Don at an intersection in his fancy big car. Dont know what was said by Don but I remember it wasnt a compliment. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks like maybe his crew who stole the boat!

72 superlite
12-16-2005, 06:45 AM
I understand that this was one of the most potent circle race teams of the times but how did he get used to the ribbing he must have taken for all the flowers?? That's one ugly boat and the wing looks like it came from Don Garlits scrap pile! There I said it! Maybe now he'll come to one of our races to punch my lights out. Signed: The jErKiZoid
PS Hey I have a wing uglier than that, anyone want to recreate this Nostalgic boat? Dossanger needs competition he can beat!
Don't know Boyd, how do you take the ribbing having a boat that has a trunk, bowlight, drinking fountain and is red white blue and pink?????? And when amongst those flowers are the words WORLD RECORD HOLDER, that really cuts down on the ribbing. Boatguy 222, my understanding is, this is the same boat you saw run as an ss, they redid it to make it a K boat. :) :)