PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing Box

BIGCHRIS
12-10-2005, 04:00 PM
I had alot of play in my rudder and took it apart today ,is it best to replace the stuffing box or is there away to put a bushing in it .(there was about .030 difference between the rudder and the box)

Rexone
12-10-2005, 05:38 PM
.030 isn't horrible but not tight either. I've seen guys bush them successfully but a new box isn't that expensive and it has to come out of the boat to bush too. By the time you bore it and buy and press a bushing in probably not worth screwing with in most cases unless you're rudder box is unique dimensionally or something unusual.
Also check the rudder shaft. If its worn excessively a new rudder box by itself won't be the total answer and will just prematurely wear the new box or bushing out. As well as the seal.
Hope that helps.

Sanger D
12-11-2005, 11:15 AM
Im doing mine right now , its worth it to just replace it. and it gives you the opportunity to clean up and replace a bunch of other crap too!!!

Morg
12-11-2005, 12:24 PM
I battled the stuffing box in my old Hondo for years. I would have been money & time ahead to just replace the whole deal to begin with.
I highly recomend replacing both rudder & box. At least get the rudder checked. The rudder that will where.
For the stuffing box Bergeron makes a very trick stainles stuffing box with replaceable dehlrin insert. It is more than the regular bronze, But well worth it.