PDA

View Full Version : Clemency Rejected!

Havasu_Dreamin
12-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Schwarzenegger Rejects Williams' Bid for Clemency
By Henry Weinstein and Michael Muskal
Times Staff Writers
1:05 PM PST, December 12, 2005
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger today rejected clemency for Stanley Tookie Williams, convicted murderer and one of the founders of the Crips.
The decision was announced moments after a federal appeals court in San Francisco turned down Williams's request for a stay of execution. Williams is scheduled to be executed by lethal injection at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday.
"Clemency cases are always difficult and this one is no exception," Schwarzenegger said in a prepared statement.
"After studying the evidence, searching the history, listening to the arguments and wrestling with the profound consequences, I could find no justification for granting clemency. The facts do not justify overturning the jury's verdict or the decisions of the courts in this case."
Today's double blow seems to ensure that Williams will be executed as scheduled. Williams supporters will seek to the U.S. Supreme Court intervene, but the governor was considered Williams' best possibility
The state Supreme Court rejected a last-minute plea Sunday night, and today, a three-judge panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals denied the stay at 11:30 a.m.
It is possible that a larger panel of judges from the circuit could consider the case if a judge on the court asks for what is known as "en banc" review. If a majority of the circuit's 25 active judges votes for a rehearing, a panel of 11 judge will then consider the case.
The governor's rejection of clemency was personally and politically difficult for Schwarzenegger, who has denied two pleas for clemency in other cases.
The last Californian to be given mercy was a mentally ill killer, spared in 1967 by Ronald Reagan.
The governor, whose career has been based on his popularity, was soundly rebuffed by voters in the recent special election. Recently, the governor named a Democratic Party activist, Susan Kennedy, as his new chief of staff sparking outrage from his Republican and conservative supporters.
Schwarzenegger met with Williams' lawyers last week to hear arguments for and against clemency. Williams, 51, sent a personal letter to the governor, seeking clemency.
The campaign to save Williams has been the fiercest of any recent effort to halt an execution. Hollywood luminaries including Jaime Foxx and influential groups such as the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People campaigned on behalf of Williams.
In 1981, Williams was convicted of four murders during two robberies.
Albert Owens was killed during a robbery of a 7-Eleven store on Feb. 27, 1979, and motel owners Yen-I Yang and Thsai-Shaic Yang and their daughter, Yee Chen Lin, were killed at the Brookhaven Motel on South Vermont Avenue in Los Angeles 12 days later.
Williams has maintained that he is innocent. His plea for clemency was based on his transformation while in prison for almost a quarter-century. He and his supporters argue that he has changed his life since his gang days, writing children's books and warning youths about the perils of the gangster life.
Law enforcement officials, including Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley, strongly opposed clemency, calling Williams a coldblooded killer who has "left his mark forever on our society by co-founding one of the most vicious, brutal gangs in existence, the Crips."
On Oct. 11, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against Williams' last appeal.
On Sunday night, the California Supreme Court voted 6-0 to deny Williams a stay of execution. His lawyer Verna Wefald then filed a 150-page habeas corpus petition and request for a stay with the 9th Circuit.
The federal petition raised a host of issues, including the assertion that Williams is "actually innocent" of the four 1979 murders for which he has been on death row at San Quentin for 24 years.
Under federal law, courts are required to dismiss what are known as "successor" habeas corpus petitions dismissed unless the defendant can demonstrate:
That his claim relies on a new interpretation of constitutional law, made retroactive by the U.S. Supreme Court, that was previously unavailable;
That the factual predicate for the claim could not have been discovered previously through the exercise of due diligence;
That the facts underlying the claim, if proven and viewed in light of the evidence as a whole, would be sufficient to establish by clear and convincing evidence that, but for constitutional error, no reasonable fact finder [jury or judge] would have found the petitioner guilty of the underlying crime.
The 9th Circuit panel ruled today that Williams did not assert a "new rule of constitutional law."
The court also said that to the extent that Williams' claims are not subject to mandatory dismissal because they were previously presented, he "has not made a prima facie showing that his claims, whether viewed individually or in the aggregate, could meet the statutory requirements of both due diligence and clear and convincing evidence of actual innocence."
Consequently, the judges denied his request to have the petition considered in full and denied the stay of execution.
The order was issued in the names of Judges Proctor Hug, T.G. Nelson and Ronald Gould, the same panel that in 2002 rejected Williams's request to have his conviction and death sentence overturned. That panel, in a rare move, suggested that Williams might be a worthy candidate for clemency because of his anti-gang activities while on death row.

pixilatedpussy
12-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Roast him!

INSman
12-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Fire up the chair, or does he get some GAS ???!!!!??? :220v: :crossx:

Rev. Williams
12-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Anyone for some slightly burnt "Tookies" :D :D :D

badtaste
12-12-2005, 01:26 PM
yes... finally. can't wait until California catches up and starts carrying out these sentences sooner than 20+ years.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Fire up the chair, or does he get some GAS ???!!!!??? :220v: :crossx:
Lethal injection.

Mr. Pixilated
12-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Roast him!
WOW, your showing your political side....That makes me orny... :)

EXTRMBT
12-12-2005, 01:28 PM
Fry him!
In the meantime break out the RIOT GEAR! :lightsabe :boxingguy

XtrmWakeborder
12-12-2005, 01:32 PM
It's about time!!! We really need to set limits on appeals and such, death sentences take wayy too long!

HocusPocus
12-12-2005, 01:34 PM
He and his supporters argue that he has changed his life since his gang days, writing children's books and warning youths about the perils of the gangster life.
i have a better warning for youths to avoid gangster life. Stay out of gangs or you will be executed! Just like Tookie!

barbigrl
12-12-2005, 01:36 PM
Hmmm maybe he should kill some of his supporters family members(Jamie Fox), then see how they feel about clemency. If he was white this would be a totally different story.

NautiII
12-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Fry him!
In the meantime break out the RIOT GEAR! :lightsabe :boxingguy
I agree. Another California city may be burning after midnight!!

barbigrl
12-12-2005, 02:05 PM
I agree. Another California city may be burning after midnight!!
Its cool, let them burn the ghetto....

pixilatedpussy
12-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Burn that man & send him to hell where he belongs!

AltarGirl
12-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Anyone for some slightly burnt "Tookies" :D :D :D
IF you're handing them out, chocolate chip for me please! :p

JB in so cal
12-12-2005, 02:15 PM
The most amazing piece of the execution puzzle:? IN BETWEEN lethal doses of each of the 3 chemicals injected into his body, a nuetral saline solution is applied to clense the tube.
And they use a nice sterile needle, too...

pixilatedpussy
12-12-2005, 02:17 PM
The most amazing piece of the execution puzzle:? IN BETWEEN lethal doses of each of the 3 chemicals injected into his body, a nuetral saline solution is applied to clense the tube.
WTF is that all about???
Some death row huh?

INSman
12-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Lethal injection.
That is just too damn easy, like taking a friggin' sleeping pill :mad:
Electricutions are bad ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NautiII
12-12-2005, 02:21 PM
seems like BS huh! even when they used to hang people, they used a new rope for each person!! like they are going to know the difference!!

Captain Dan
12-12-2005, 02:22 PM
Good riddance. Might be worth staying up late to see the "celebration" that will take place in the streets of LA.

spectratoad
12-12-2005, 02:23 PM
Just as long as he is dead and sent to hell. His victims and their families deserved this 20 years ago.
Oh and California, stand by for lots of fires, riots and general destruction. The LE should just put out notice that any rioters will just be shot. :cool:

AltarGirl
12-12-2005, 02:29 PM
That will be amazing if there's rioting again. :idea: That should only happen after sporting events in Inglewoood :rollside:

MagicMtnDan
12-12-2005, 02:31 PM
Hey Tookie, you're getting sleepy, sleepy, sleepy. Oh and one more thing, you're not gonna wake up! Enjoy your dirt nap forever! :220v: :220v: :220v:

Run_em_Hard
12-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I can't believe that the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People are backing this guy. He has ruined so much and killed, I would bet, way more than convicted of. KILL HIS ASS.

HighRoller
12-12-2005, 02:56 PM
That will be amazing if there's rioting again. :idea: That should only happen after sporting events in Inglewoood :rollside:
I have no doubt that the idiots will riot and burn and pillage and maybe even kill someone. All in the name of "peace".

Biglue
12-12-2005, 03:00 PM
I have no doubt that the idiots will riot and burn and pillage and maybe even kill someone. All in the name of "peace" .
And self interest. All those Korean store owners should lock up and take a vacation. I really hope these dumb asses don't start rioting again.

AltarGirl
12-12-2005, 03:00 PM
I have no doubt that the idiots will riot and burn and pillage and maybe even kill someone. All in the name of "peace".
You're so right though & that's what's F'd up about the whole thing :rolleyes:

AltarGirl
12-12-2005, 03:01 PM
You're so right though & that's what's F'd up about the whole thing :rolleyes:
Wait, not that you're right is F'd up, you know what I mean. :p :p

Redwing247
12-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Not in the name of peace...Trying to get free stuff before Christmas is more like it. I don't get all the media making this such a big deal...And Jesse Jackson stirring up the pot. :yuk:

Old Texan
12-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Is this really it or is there still some "court of appeals" left for last minute repreive?
I hope Arnie's the last word. Tookie is the poster boy for evil.
Jamie Foxx and the Reverend Jacka$$on are expected whiners, hairy old Ed As(hole)ner is the one I'd like to send with Tookie.
Fry Bi tch!!!!

THATJEFFGUY
12-12-2005, 03:41 PM
Hmmm maybe he should kill some of his supporters family members(Jamie Fox), then see how they feel about clemency. If he was white this would be a totally different story.
It probably would have never even made the news if he was white !