PDA

View Full Version : Wear Ring Recomendations for non racing App

Mighty Thor
12-12-2005, 04:14 PM
My new impeller is here and I should probably put in a new wear ring just to tighten the clearances a little. I know there are a lot of choices and many different applications so I would like advise on appropriate choice for my river runner CVX 20. do I go with the ultimate ring? stainless, shouldered What and why?

Squirtin Thunder
12-12-2005, 04:38 PM
For a lake boat the sholdered wear ring is in my opion the best way to go. It will help tighten up clearances and give you added protection in the event of thrust bearing failure.

sanger rat
12-12-2005, 06:17 PM
Can't beat having an Ultimate wear ring. Don't have to worry about the liner slipping out.

Jet Hydro
12-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Ultimate wear ring hands down!

flat broke
12-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Since it somewhat applies to this question as well, here's a copy/paste of my answer in the other thread.
Throw the wear ring in the freezer for 4 or more hours, fit the insulator and trim it, then drive the new wear ring in with the old impeller. The reason you freeze the wear ring, is because believe it or not it will contract. The reason you use an old impeller to drive the ring in, is because the impeller will help keep the wear ring going in square to the housing. Since you're ordering a new wear ring, take some measurements on your impeller and figure out your undersize from there. For a lake deal, .025 total side clearance (half of that per side) would be fine. So take a set of calipers to your impellers wear ring surface, measure the o.d. (assuming tht its straight and clean) and add .025 to the measurement. That will tell you the inside diameter of the wear ring you'll probably end up with. If it's a box stock impeller, just order up a std size.
For a lake use deal that may not see a lot of maintenance, a shouldered wear ring is the safer bet. But all you have to do is look at a pump with a shouldered wear ring vs non shouldered and you can see how the shouldered wear ring'd pump probably gives up some performance in a racing application. Every time water passes over one of those ridges formed from the edge of one part not meeting flush with another, a potential site for cavitation is formed. In non-shouldered setup there is only one gap between the suction housing and the face of the impeller. In a shouldered setup there is a small gap between the suction housing and the shoulder on the wear ring, and a second gap between the wear ring and the impeller. Albiet small gaps, they are areas that alter flow and possibly reduce efficiency.
Hope that helps,
Chris

Rondane
12-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Ultimate wear ring hands down!
what is an ultimate wear ring?

Squirtin Thunder
12-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Plastic, form fitting type of deal. It seems that they are great for lakes not sandy rocky rivers. HTP carries them.

sanger rat
12-12-2005, 09:28 PM
http://hi-techperformance.com/images/Inducer_DPS3162.jpg

Heatseeker
12-13-2005, 09:47 AM
I agree with Jet Hydro. The ultimate wear ring is the way to go. I was a bit apprehensive when I bought it, but the local pump builder really talked it up. I ran it one season and tore the pump down for inspection. I was a little concerned about the "plastic" wear ring, especially after having drawn some gravel and crap through the pump a couple of times. I found it looking just the way it did when I installed it with the clearances intact.
If I was to build another pump, I'd definitely use another ultimate.

Unchained
12-13-2005, 09:55 AM
I changed to the ultimate wear ring in the spring and it's the best setup out in my opinion.
I had problems with the two piece unit extruding the plastic insulator out the front of the wear ring and then the impeller was chewing it up. I don't need one of those again.
Call Duane at Hi-Tech Performance.

BigBlockBaja
12-13-2005, 10:06 AM
I have installed but not used the ultimate wear ring. I sold the pump prior to running it. It installs very easy. My pump will be getting one when rebuild time comes, that is if it fits my Dominator.

Mighty Thor
12-13-2005, 02:43 PM
I run this boat on the Missouri river and the sand bars here get pretty close to the surface and move around a bit so I will be sucking up sand from time to time, no way around it.

Jet Hydro
12-13-2005, 03:39 PM
I run all my boats on a real sandy lake and have never had one problem. I even beached my SJ at 70+ mph on a sand bar, I took the pump a part and the wear ring still looked great. As good ole Chet say`s " The best thing next to sliced bread"