PDA

View Full Version : Car Buried In 1957 To Be Dug Up in 2007

HocusPocus
12-12-2005, 09:22 PM
TULSA, Okla. (AP) - A Plymouth Belvedere that was buried in a concrete vault nearly 50 years ago as part of the state's golden anniversary celebration will be unearthed in 2007 as part of the Oklahoma centennial festivities.
The 1957 Belvedere is underground next to the Tulsa County Courthouse. Also buried with it were five gallons of gas and a case of beer.
Old news reports indicate the gas was buried in case internal combustion engines became obsolete by 2007 and no fuel was available. Other buried items include the contents of a woman's purse: 14 bobby pins, a lipstick, a pack of gum, tissues, a pack of cigarettes and matches and $2.43.
There was also an unpaid parking ticket, a bottle of tranquilizers and a spool of microfilm, which records the entries of a contest held to determine the winner of the car. The person to guess Tulsa's population in 2007 or the heirs of that person were to win the car and a $100 savings account. Assuming an average annual interest of 5 percent compounded quarterly, such an account would be worth almost $1,200 today, if the account could be found.
The account was set up at a savings and loan that was taken over by Sooner Federal, which was liquidated during the savings and loan bust of the early 1990s. The committee has been trying to find the account, so far without success.
It's not clear exactly how the items were prepared for burial, or how they may have held up for all these years.
The Tulsa Historical Society and the centennial committee have been getting inquiries from all over the world about the car, including one from a Scandinavian who claims to have an exact twin of the buried Belvedere.
Buried 1957 Plymouth Belvedere (http://www.buriedcar.com)

Flying Tiger
12-12-2005, 09:30 PM
I love this kinda stuff.

moneypit
12-12-2005, 09:35 PM
I wonder how much they will sell the gas for?

spectratoad
12-13-2005, 06:06 AM
Instead of the savings account they could sell the gas and give the money to the person. Probably will get more $$$$ that way.

HOSS
12-13-2005, 06:09 AM
I need to varnish my table. How much for the gas? :cool:

OLDRAT
12-13-2005, 06:59 AM
That was a big deal back when they did it. I was just a little shaver
and remember going to watch it and will probably will go again in 2007
and see what it looks like. :)
Personally, I am holding out for the bottle of tranquilizers and
the case of beer (probably Jax or Falstaff). :skull:
OR

HocusPocus
12-13-2005, 08:21 AM
they said the case of beer was schlitz, i wouldn't mind driving out there to check it out.

Liberator TJ1984
12-13-2005, 08:28 AM
A case of Schlitz and a bottle of Rorer 714 Quayluudes ???? :skull:
I would have tried to dig them up a Looonnng Time ago :crossx:
those were the good times :crossx:

LAFD
12-13-2005, 08:33 AM
thats pretty cool. would be somethin to goto...

NorCal Gameshow
12-13-2005, 08:49 AM
what's going to be the tab on the 50 year old parking ticket? :messedup: :D