PDA

View Full Version : Holley carb adjustments???

Tahiti Owner
08-21-2002, 10:11 AM
I am running a Holley 800 double pumper carb on my olds 455, she runs pretty good i'd have to say, but towards the end of the day she starts to smoke. I have pulled the spark plugs and they are not brown like they are supposed to be, they are black and look kinda wet. Im guessing it is getting too much fuel. My question is this does anyone know what the stock settings should be? and what suggestions do you have for coming up with the right setting?
Thanks Guys

Hotcrusader76
08-21-2002, 10:38 AM
Tahiti Owner:
I am running a Holley 800 double pumper carb on my olds 455, she runs pretty good i'd have to say, but towards the end of the day she starts to smoke. I have pulled the spark plugs and they are not brown like they are supposed to be, they are black and look kinda wet. Im guessing it is getting too much fuel. My question is this does anyone know what the stock settings should be? and what suggestions do you have for coming up with the right setting?
Thanks GuysSend me your list number on the air horn of the carburetor and I can give you the "stock" settings. Or any number you can grab off the carburetor.
Smoke, black plugs, etc....running a little rich it sounds...
Drop the rear jets 3 sizes, and then drop 2 sizes at a time after that until its corrected. Drop the front ones by 2 everytime then up one when its good.
Is your pwr valve/s good? You might have torn diaphragm in the valve itself and its just dumping fuel in your motor.
Hmmmm...You might want to take apart that carb to check out its conditions. Wet spark plugs mean too much fuel! Correct that issue first, then work the too rich issue. Even when your over rich, they shouln't be wet.
-Ty

Tahiti Owner
08-21-2002, 01:36 PM
ok the number i hope you are looking for is on the front of the carb on the plate in front of the forward 2 barrels...it shows LIST-4780
on the left forward barrel on the side it has a number P11
and on top by the rear 2 barrels is a number 6R 3767
on the rear bowl there are alot of numbers but are too small to read.
last season i replaced the forward bowl and installed a new kit (gaskets, diaphrams, etc)

Hotcrusader76
08-21-2002, 01:55 PM
Tahiti Owner:
ok the number i hope you are looking for is on the front of the carb on the plate in front of the forward 2 barrels...it shows LIST-4780
on the left forward barrel on the side it has a number P11
and on top by the rear 2 barrels is a number 6R 3767
on the rear bowl there are alot of numbers but are too small to read.
last season i replaced the forward bowl and installed a new kit (gaskets, diaphrams, etc)Primary Jets 72
Secondaries Jets 76
800cfm Holley 4150 Double Pumper
Primary Pwr Valve 6.5hg
Secondary Pwr Valve 8.5 hg
[ August 21, 2002, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

Tahiti Owner
08-22-2002, 05:06 AM
thanks Ty if i cant get it dialed in right i guess i'll be ordering a carb from you after reading that other post from the guy who sang your praises! :D

Hotcrusader76
08-22-2002, 07:23 AM
Tahiti Owner:
thanks Ty if i cant get it dialed in right i guess i'll be ordering a carb from you after reading that other post from the guy who sang your praises! :D Well when your ready send me an email. I can overhaul your carb or prepare a new one for ya.
-Ty
tdlofstrom@tpcracing.com