PDA

View Full Version : High Oil Temperature Alarm

discobayjoe
12-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey All,
I picked up a '92 Fountain with 3 502ci Mercs this summer. The boat had sat for a few years in covered storage. First thing I did was a full run-thru by my local Fountain dealer (tuneup, water pumps, etc). As part of the initial tuneup, they did a compression check and said everything looked good. They also adjusted the timing on all 3 motors.
Two Issues.
#1 - I can run all day long around 4000RPM. Oil Temp runs 220/230/220. This matches the factory test run sheet. If I start to push 5K RPM, atleast one of the motors will register a High Oil Temp within 5 minutes. All 3 of the motors have shown this trait, but the middle motor seems the most touchy.
#2 - The last time i was out (September) I was going down the main channel in Stockton when the middle motor went high temp (just for a second) and then died. This time I couldn't get the motor to restart (turned over but wouldn't fire). As I was camping at WindMill Cove, I tied up for the night. The following day I played around with it, changed a fuel filter, and eventually it fired up. It ran like a champ for the next hour, until I backed off going into a 5Mph where it died again. This time it fired right back up. I put it on the trailer where its sat since.
To my knowledge, the motors are stock 502 Naturally Aspirated with about 330 hours total. I've burned about 500 gallons of 92 along with the 100 gallons or so that had sat in the boat for 2 years.
Any Ideas?