PDA

View Full Version : Here is another one...

tcook33
12-13-2005, 10:54 AM
If you were driving a car at the speed of light, and you turned the headlights on , would you be able to see them?

riverroyal
12-13-2005, 10:55 AM
ive done it

OGShocker
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
If you were driving a car at the speed of light, and you turned the headlights on , would you be able to see them?
What color is the car?

Tom Brown
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
The switch would melt down and entropy would ensue.

HocusPocus
12-13-2005, 11:12 AM
yes you could see... but only what was behind you. :skull: :skull: :skull:
now what would a chair look like if your legs bent the other way! :p

maxwedge
12-13-2005, 11:30 AM
I think it depends what kind of car. Are they pop-up headlights, or the kind in the grill where you can't see them anyway? And are we talking about the head lights themselves or just backside of the housings. :confused:

Chase
12-13-2005, 11:32 AM
So if the light source was travelling the speed of light..would the light emmited from that source travel twice the speed of light

MagicMtnDan
12-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Are they incandescent, halogen or Xenon? Some light travels faster than others :yuk:

tcook33
12-13-2005, 11:37 AM
So if the light source was travelling the speed of light..would the light emmited from that source travel twice the speed of light
THIS is the magic question...my friend.....

tcook33
12-13-2005, 11:38 AM
What color is the car?
Don't know, I coundn't see it. It's irrelevant though.... :cool:

Chase
12-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Exactly...So Mr. Braino...whats the verdict??

tcook33
12-13-2005, 11:39 AM
I think it depends what kind of car. Are they pop-up headlights, or the kind in the grill where you can't see them anyway? And are we talking about the head lights themselves or just backside of the housings. :confused:
It's a porsche, so the pop-up ones....

NorCal Gameshow
12-13-2005, 11:39 AM
No... you'd be dead
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:TFI0nlGQui4J:adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/trabant_1.jpg

maxwedge
12-13-2005, 11:41 AM
I've tried to get my F150 up to light speed in the interest of science, but I keep getting pulled over for some reason. :D

tcook33
12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
Exactly...So Mr. Braino...whats the verdict??
You guys are no fun......
Mr. Braino would have been Mr. Einstein....
The physical theory of space and time developed by Albert Einstein, based on the postulates that all the laws of physics are equally valid in all frames of reference moving at a uniform velocity and that the speed of light from a uniformly moving source is always the same, regardless of how fast or slow the source or its observer is moving. The theory has as consequences the relativistic mass increase of rapidly moving objects, the Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction, time dilatation, and the principle of mass-energy equivalence. Also called special theory of relativity.

Chase
12-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I don't think that answers the original question though....if the source is travelling the speed of light, yet the speed of the emmitted light is the same...what happens to the light emmitted?? The light emmitted in the direction of travel??

bigblockbill
12-13-2005, 11:51 AM
That one is over my head... I am no light expert.

tcook33
12-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I don't think that answers the original question though....if the source is travelling the speed of light, yet the speed of the emmitted light is the same...what happens to the light emmitted?? The light emmitted in the direction of travel??
The speed of light is a constant. Light cannot go faster than the speed of light. Therefore, it does not matter if the car is going 65mph, or if the car is going the speed of light (186,282.397 miles per second).
Einstein came up with the theory, not me. So, I guess until it's proven wrong, it's right.....

Chase
12-13-2005, 11:58 AM
So the light emmited would stand still in reference to the source if the emmited light was travelling the same direction as the source...
Like yeah, I was cruisin' along and hit this big effin pile of light...

NorCal Gameshow
12-13-2005, 11:58 AM
my headlights go the same speed as my car(most of the time)

bigblockbill
12-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey thats a good way to put it... I see the light...so just cause the car is moving at the speed of light, the light that is emitted from the head lights travels at the cars speed (the speed of light) plus the speed of light. So that would make the head lights light moving at twice the speed of light.

Sleek-Jet
12-13-2005, 12:04 PM
If you are in the car... your headlights would appear normal, both you and the lights are traveling at the same speed, the lights would project ahead...
Now if you're sitting in one spot and a car passes you going the speed of light and turns their headlights on, you experience something completely different.
Another analogy would be traveling faster than the speed of sound in an airplane. You can still hear normally, but people on the ground experience something completly different.
Of course, the only way to travel the speed of light (that we know of) is to fly into a black hole, and gravitational increases as we get closer to a singularity would crush our poor Civic long before we got to the speed of light. :D (I think)

Chase
12-13-2005, 12:06 PM
Hey thats a good way to put it... I see the light...so just cause the car is moving at the speed of light, the light that is emitted from the head lights travels at the cars speed (the speed of light) plus the speed of light. So that would make the head lights light moving at twice the speed of light.
That is kinda what I am thinking...but Mr. Braino :D :D ...says that Einstien says otherwise.....

tcook33
12-13-2005, 12:09 PM
So the light emmited would stand still in reference to the source if the emmited light was travelling the same direction as the source...
Like yeah, I was cruisin' along and hit this big effin pile of light...
Yes, this is what the theory proves.

Throttle
12-13-2005, 12:12 PM
I'd need a pair of good goggles to tell the truth!

tcook33
12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
That is kinda what I am thinking...but Mr. Braino :D :D ...says that Einstien says otherwise.....
I agree with you guys. It sounds really weird, but the thing here is, none of us can comprehend the speed of light or how it works. Obviously, Einstein could. If you want to argue with Einstein....well, you can't...sorry.
Read this. The proof is in the pudding....
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/einstein/light/constant.php

LHC30Victory
12-13-2005, 12:16 PM
and so, you would not be able to see the light in or from the headlamp because for it to be seen, it must travel. Since it is already going the velocity it is capable of, it wont project - Right?

Chase
12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
I agree with you guys. It sounds really weird, but the thing here is, none of us can comprehend the speed of light or how it works. Obviously, Einstein could. If you want to argue with Einstein....well, you can't...sorry.
Read this. The proof is in the pudding....
http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/einstein/light/constant.php
Well I think because you started the thread...YOU would have all of the answers.... :D :D

tcook33
12-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Well I think because you started the thread...YOU would have all of the answers.... :D :D
I gave you all the answers you need.......did you read the attachment? What more do you want? I can translate it into my own words if you'd like. Actually, I think I already did that a few posts back..... :D

Chase
12-13-2005, 12:35 PM
No I was just being a dick.......

tcook33
12-13-2005, 12:36 PM
No I was just being a dick.......
HAHA. That's cool then. I can take it.

Chase
12-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Oh my god...you like to take dick!!!

ROZ
12-13-2005, 12:46 PM
can you see the headlights raguardless? I mean, they're on the front of the car.... The answer to this is no. You can't see the headlights. photo ray is another question...
next!

Sleek-Jet
12-13-2005, 12:51 PM
can you see the headlights raguardless? I mean, they're on the front of the car.... The answer to this is no. You can't see the headlights. photo ray is another question...
next!
Thank you Mr. Loophole... :D

FHI-prez
12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Of course, the only way to travel the speed of light (that we know of) is to fly into a black hole, and gravitational increases as we get closer to a singularity would crush our poor Civic long before we got to the speed of light. :D (I think)
Actually instead of crushing it, a black hole (as physics theorizes) would pull a little harder on the front of your civic than it would pull on the back of it. The acceleration difference would eventually pull you and your civic into a string of atoms a process they call "spagettification" I think. :p Either way, you're F@kt. :cool:
Nick

Sleek-Jet
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
...they call "spagettification" I think.
Now there is a Scrable word... :D

Chase
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
I used to have a civic.....lucky I kept my foot off the gas...I now have a CRV...would the same happen to it??

Sleek-Jet
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
I used to have a civic.....lucky I kept my foot off the gas...I now have a CRV...would the same happen to it??
Only if the conveyor stopped... :D

Chase
12-13-2005, 01:06 PM
But then wouldn't I be going backwards...would the airbag deploy?? :D :D :D

tcook33
12-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Oh my god...you like to take dick!!!
outta my pants when I piss or bone.....you're a weirdo.

Tom Brown
12-13-2005, 02:05 PM
This thread has achieved entropy.

Chase
12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
outta my pants when I piss or bone.....you're a weirdo.
:D :D :D

ROZ
12-13-2005, 02:27 PM
This thread has achieved entropy.
Don't they all? :D

harrisonmirage
12-13-2005, 04:01 PM
With my PIAA Plasmas ya sure can eh. They have super rayphonic,beamomatic,starbrite powers