PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust headers gaskets

78Anthonyjet
12-13-2005, 05:57 PM
I have log type exhaust headers and keep blowing the gaskets. Any tricks to a fix that I am missing?
The manifolds have been planned but still having the problem of burning out gaskets. :mad:

Squirtin Thunder
12-13-2005, 06:41 PM
The copper embossed gaskets might do the trick.

Doug TJ
12-13-2005, 07:28 PM
I have log type exhaust headers and keep blowing the gaskets. Any tricks to a fix that I am missing?
The manifolds have been planned but still having the problem of burning out gaskets. :mad:
I have studded the heads where I could and used only hi heat Permagasket.Lots of it. It seemed to work pretty good for me. You might want to use a gasket and Lots of Permagasket on each side of it.Make sure to tighted the exhaust manifold bolts and Nuts ( On Studs) after each day of use.The bolts will loosen up from being hot and cold.Good luck

YeLLowBoaT
12-13-2005, 07:34 PM
normally when that happends you ether have surfaces that suck or you are not torquing them down to the correct methoed /spec...

Tahiti350
12-13-2005, 07:39 PM
Gaskets? Who needs gaskets??? Use a thin coat of the hi heat permatex adn bolt the suckers on. Presto, no more blown gaskets!!! :crossx: :rolleyes:

78Anthonyjet
12-13-2005, 07:45 PM
torque them down----do you know to what ft/lbs?
Don't use gaskets----Ok, this will cause no problems in the future?
I just want to fix this one more time. I have a new set on there now and the second time out, BAM, the right side took a dump.
Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.
Norm

YeLLowBoaT
12-13-2005, 07:52 PM
what motor? most its like 30-35 ft lbs in 15lb inraments.

Tahiti350
12-13-2005, 07:54 PM
Over a period of time any exhaust leak will erode the mated surfaces, so with or without gaskets a leak is a problem. If the head surface and the exhaust surface are both true adn flat, then there shouldn't be a problem running without gaskets. Ford and Chevy did it on various heavy duty engines to prevent blow out.
I do have gaskets on my risers, but only because they hit the valve covers without gaskets.

sanger rat
12-13-2005, 08:05 PM
I run Percy's. Never any problems. Use them over and over. http://www.percyshp.com/seal-4-good_header_gaskets.html

Cas
12-13-2005, 08:16 PM
probably be a real good idea to check the surface of the manifolds to make sure they are flat and true. As others have said, if the surfaces are good, just some high temp rtv or permatex should be good.

Cas
12-13-2005, 08:23 PM
Norm,
I just noticed how close you are to a lot of us. You need to come join us sometime for some fun in the sun! I'll be putting up a Calendar of Events on the LBBA website, LBBA message boards and another will be sent to ***boat. We usually kick off the year at Modesto Res for Easter and then New Hogan in May. Then again, with this group, there will probably be something going on in Feb and March too....spur of the moment day trip somewhere.

Moneypitt
12-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Do the ports on the logs match the port size of the head? Are you using round or square ported gaskets? I had the same problem with 990 heads and round Basset header tubes. I was matching the head port with the gasket,(sq) and kept blowing/leaking. I tried round gaskets to match the headers and the problem went away........MP

IMPATIENT 1
12-14-2005, 07:23 AM
I Like To Use The Mr Gasket Ultra Seal Header Gaskets On Em.they're
Soft Lead Type And Form Well To Warped Flanges And Seal Em Up.i Ran Them For 5yrs Before I Switch To Over Transom Headers And They Never Leaked.

taylormanss
12-14-2005, 10:05 AM
are ya sure the flanges are smooth,I had a set of logs on my taylor ss and they had warped over time or from not being pulled down evenly .I took them to a machine shop,and they machined them back square never had another problem running stock exhaust gaskets-felpro.

texas-19
12-14-2005, 10:52 AM
NAPA sells a graphite exhaust gasket.They have lasted me 2 years and going strong.They won't burn out like the fel-pros.