PDA

View Full Version : You mean I'm not safe

Doug The Jeweler
01-12-2002, 02:47 PM
My prayers go out to all the familys affected.I think to myself,how many times have I driven or been a passenger in a boat going 90 Plus miles per hour.I really never thought you would die going that fast .I felt invincable.The only one they found at the surface was one body near a life vest.I guess that I was looking at the danger through rose colored glasses.Do we need parachute life jackets at that speed?How do I stay alive in the event of an accident?

JETBOAT BRIAN
01-12-2002, 04:33 PM
No Doug ... you are not safe ,neither are the people ,loved ones ,friends ect riding with you. Pleasure boats today are going as fast as race boats did just a few years ago! You NEVER see a racer without a lifevest on but how many times have you seen someone hauling ass at the lake with a t shirt on for protection? How many times have you done it yourself? I know I have There is a very interesting post on this very subject on havasu barney .com posted by superdave013 a racer himself.Perhaps you could come by and read it .....JB

pgf127rt
01-12-2002, 04:38 PM
Doug, this is a subject that is very important to me, as a retired Pro Gas Racer I have witnessed people getting severely injured in boat racing and that was with all of the mandatory safety gear, however I have also witnessed drag boat racers testing their equipment at the same speed they run in their respective classes, with no safety gear, so they had the same idea that a lot of speed merchants have, they think they are bullet proof and invincible, I raced till I was 58 years old and never tested my equipment without the same safety gear on that was required to race it, why, because I realized that during a crash there is no difference between testing and racing, they both can have fatal consequences, or severe injuries, so why take a chance, anytime you go fast in a boat you are vulnerable to conditions that can hurt you.
God Bless the Families of the victims.

Costello
01-12-2002, 05:29 PM
An unfortunate example of what can happen even under the best circumstances (e.g. mandated safety equipment in a sanctioned race) is Tom Bogdanich's crash earlier this year at IHBA Hot Summer Nationals. Tom has a ME 10 second Jet boat that took the infamous hard right turn, sending him out hard left. Tom was wearing all of the mandated safety equipment, but not the optional ballistic shorts. Besides breaking his pelvis etc, the 115 mph enema of water up the behind nearly killed the man. He is still not nearly recovered. His medical bills are over the 2 million dollar mark and still mounting. Let's face it, 115 mph is NOT that fast in reality. I've done it too Doug, the fast runs at CFW with nothing but my swim shorts on, no helmet etc. It's plain stupid unless you are prepared. Guys like Bill (Preacher) from the CVDCOA really set a good example by vesting up, putting on the brain bucket etc. when he wants to play hard. He is the exception and not the rule, and this is one reason I get real bummed out even watching the whole lake racing thing. Too many people do not know the power of the weapon between their steering hands and under their foot. It's a miracle that there aren't more accidents. Believe me I don't want to come across as condescending, as I have done about everything dumb in a boat one can do. The key is learn from our mistakes, don't take shortcuts as to equipment; both on the boat and safety equipment, and use our head not our nuts when we're out there.

PowellRunner
01-12-2002, 05:52 PM
This news literly took my breath away...
Guys one easy thing to do when pushing your Craft at the upper limit is to have some observers, buddies,in a chase boat to offer help,call for help Etc.Worse than having an accident would be to have an accident then struggle waiting for someone to help.
God Bless the Families involved

737jetmech
01-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Yes gentlemen well said...I have some very good freinds that stuffed their boat last summer.Boat was destroyed and sunk.Both driver and passenger were knocked out on impact.If not for a fellow boater they would not be here today.I said to myself that I would start wearing a life vest ,but still have not!Yes we all think that this just will not happen to us.I'am going to start wearing a vest if not for myself, for the wife and kids.When your dead it is over, the family and freinds you leave behind will feel the pain. GOD SPEED!

gigamurph
01-12-2002, 06:40 PM
I have been thinking for along time that 100+ MPH for a "recreational" boat is just too damn fast: and this unfortunate accident is a good example. This may or may not have been a boat available to the general public, but there are boats out there that are more than capable of attaining the speeds involved yesterday (News Service states that our brothers were doing anywhere from 80MPH to 95MPH, making a turn). These men were competent, well-seasoned boatmen and in conditions (ie; not much traffic, good weather[do not know the wind conditions]) conducive to "safe" boating, and? Now, how many times have you seen people in their "just purchased" boats, tearing up the water; and obviously the boat is "controllig them and not vice-versa? I know that most if not all manufacturers offer orientation for their customers, but it still depends on the individual to practice common sense in using what they were shown. Boats going 100+ on the water should be left to the "pros" on a race course with other "pros". You don't put an Astro Van on the track with NASCAR. I just think that it is a bad mix; too much boat traffic, too fast of a boat, too many drivers without the proper or extensive experience to operate a vessel at the speeds that are being attained and pushed ever higher. Where do we stop? 175? 190? 200? That's my opinion, I stand by it, and apologize if I offend anyone and for getting so long-winded AGAIN!

superdave013
01-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Doug, I would think he was near the life vest becasue he was wearing it and it came off. When I was a kid I raced APBA class C mod hydros. Well, I was out dinking around in front of our house on a fine Saturday afternoon and zipped by this floting diving raft showing off for some chicks. I was maybe going 80 or so (in a 12' hydro). Well I got pitched out of the sucker and when I stopped my Obrian ski jacket had one shoulder torn in half and all of the plastic buckles but the top one broken. I was lucky that day! (I was not swimming to well eathier) So you should wear a good jacket like a lifeline with the leg straps. They won't come off of you. I also have a big beef with the way the ski jackets are designed. If you are knocked out you flot with your face down in the water! I was in a 26' cat at Parker and a 13 yo girl ran her PWC into the side of the boat. We were going about 50+. She was knocked out and sucking water when we got to her. Those jackets are good for skiing but not racing!
Wearing all of the best gear can still not ensure you won't get hurt but it will make your chances better.
Here is the link to the post on the Barney fourm if anyone cares to read it.
http://www.havasubarney.com/cgi-bin/mb2/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c410bbb35e6ba43;act=ST;f=5;t =653 (http://www.havasubarney.com/cgi-bin/mb2/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c410bbb35e6ba43;act=ST;f=5;t=653)
Oh, don't think I'm holyer than thou, I've ran my blown flattie at parkter many times wearing only shorts and flip flops. One of those times I was racing Steve's Hydro! I quit doing that about 7 years ago after seen many racers get hurt or killed at the drags.
[This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited January 12, 2002).]

RIVERHED
01-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Doug, you are a douchbag. Just my opinion.
Costello, you really do know it all, dont you
Superdave, I like you, you are for real man.

superdave013
01-12-2002, 09:42 PM
RIVERHED, Give him a break man, maybe he just never thought of it before. Most people that go to the lake don't think about getting hurt.

RiverToysJas
01-12-2002, 10:29 PM
I don't think I've been over 75mph on the water, so I'm only speaking from my imagination but I think I'd feel pretty safe in a 30' boat. That HTM 30'er has a deep passenger area (judging by the photo on the cover of the Nov/Dec Hot Boat).
I used to really want a boat that would go a 100. It's why I started looking into 21' V-drive boats. But this tragity has snapped me back to reality. The bottom line is, I'm a Father of two now and want too see my kids grow up more than I want the rush. I'm a family boater that wants a little performance. If my next boat goes 80, I think I'll be plenty happy with that.
I almost rolled my boat last Memorial at Havasu when I fell into a hole in a turn. The boat pitched up about 60 degrees at about 45 mph, but I was able to power out of it (18' jet boat, not a tunnle or cat). I knew I was lucky not to have tipped all the way, because the boat would have sank and that's a huge hassle. I never thought until yesterday that me or my passenger could have really been seriously hurt or killed. Granted, I was going half the speed of those guys but I wasn't wearing a jacket either. Got me thinking......
RTJas

572Daytona
01-12-2002, 11:34 PM
I think many people are having similar thoughts but Doug was one of the few that was willing to voice his feelings. I didn't know any of them other than by reputation but I was very shaken up last nite nontheless. I think these boards make people obsessed with speed than they would be otherwise just for the sake of bragging rights. I have a 90mph jetboat that I was quite content with until I started lurking around this and other boards, from the way many people talk that is pretty tame. I even have my boat at the shop this winter working on the motor and the setup trying to break 100, all of a sudden that doesn't seam all that important anymore.

RumRunner
01-13-2002, 06:31 AM
I do not understand why people on this board have to be so hard on others, especially in a time like this.
As far as the issue of safety goes, I think we all should be wearing our life jackets (and better quality ones at that) more, and always wear our kill switches.

Cole
01-13-2002, 07:17 AM
riverhead,your an asshole!!!!! Cole

Cole
01-13-2002, 07:36 AM
Allright, now that i got that out of the way,and i apologize to anyone that i might have offended.My wife is not taking this accident to good.we just ordered a 28' cat with twin out boards that should be fast,and my wife after hearing about the tragedy is needless to say,not happy about our purchase now.I have a 15 month old baby named(Cole) and she is now 4 months pregnant with our 2nd.I tryed to explain to her that this was a FREAK accident that they were in a boat making a turn going 90 mph and you just
cant do that!!!well shes still upset and im still trying to justify to her why we need a 100 mph boat with kids!!!! just some of my thoughts Cole (Craig)

James'SS-24
01-13-2002, 07:48 AM
"Riverhed,your an asshole." I agree Cole!

Unchained
01-13-2002, 08:10 AM
I am as guilty as anyone of going too fast without safety gear. When I'm out boating and the guy with the outboard pulls up alongside it's hard to resist that race. I have settled on that when you race from 0 to 80 mph whoever is ahead proved his point. You don't need to go for light speed. And with all the talk about what boat is the fastest. Anyone can buy the cheapest and most impracticle boat made [the vdrive hydro] and then they will be the fastest. No one should go out boating thinking they have something to prove. Boating is just to have fun and come back next year for more fun.

gstark
01-13-2002, 08:42 AM
It isn't always pure speed that can get you in trouble.
About 18 years ago, my buddy and I were at Lake Perris doing boat testing in March. Not many boats out.
Water was a little choppy.
Boat was an 18' jet, 455, 55 mph boat.
My buddy was driving and I was sitting in the passenger seat next to him, wearing only trunks and a tee shirt. Wallet in my pocket, prescription sun glasses.
We went into a turn about 40 mph and hit a small roller.
When my buddy turned to talk to me, I wasn't in the boat.
This combination of events blew me out of the boat - I never knew what hit me.
I surfaced, lost my wallet and glasses.
Had I been knocked out, who knows what would have happened.
Imagine what my buddy driving thought. Suddenly I'm not in the boat. Where did I go?
A boat following us stopped and asked if I could do it again - they thought this was bitchen.
So, 100mph. No thanks. Not for me.
I've got two grandkids that I have responsibility for, and I want to see them grow up. My biggest concern at the river are the folks who've pounded a 12 pack and get into the 750HP rockets and blast at 80.
As far as I am concerned, these are the folks to watch out for.
I'm not throwing stones here, as I've done my share of this. Today, I have a much different perspective on this situation than in past decades.
This won't be popular on this site, but each of us should take a few moments to reflect upon the need for triple digit speeds. What happens when things get out of hand at these speeds can be devastating.
16 years ago my life changed instantly in a different boating accident. One minute life is good, the next minute, staying alive becomes a challenge.
Let's hope all can learn from these tragic events.
My family's thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the four gentlemen.
[This message has been edited by gstark (edited January 13, 2002).]

boatnam2
01-13-2002, 08:50 AM
hey cole you can tell yourself that buts its not true,going a 100mph in anything is dangerous,i had a 26ft cat that went a 100+ and it was very cool,but i meet a gal that had some kids and i starting taking mine since my divorce and i really didn't see no reason to have a boat like that,so i sold it and got a 28ft vee.much more family freindly but still with good performance.the biggest problem you will have with your new boat is getting use to the speed after that it feels safe all the time no matter what speed your going.all this talk about safety stuff is just that talk. you will never see people hanging out on a 110degree in the channel with there helmets shorts parachutes etc'etc' it is just not real world.but you will see a shit loads of boats that will run 100+ crusing around with there familys in them all day long and that is cool but when you decide you want to haul ass leave your family at the beach there is plenty enough time in a hot havasu day to spend time with your family and also go out and make a couple of speed runs.i hope i will never hear about a tragedy like this again but i got a feeling it is not the last one we will hear about.

James'SS-24
01-13-2002, 08:56 AM
Well said GStark! I would also like to point out that these guys by all acounts were only going aproximately 90, which is fast, so don't misunderstand me, but I think something else happened to cause this. I hope they pull the boat up and do an in depth investigation so that everyone can learn from this tragedy! An accident like this should not be wasted! These guys paid for this knowledge with their lives.

riverliver
01-13-2002, 09:14 AM
Cole
My wife has been doing the same thing,
I told her that her the same thing you told your wife it still did'nt make her feel any better, things can happen at any speed I was even hit by a jet ski and the boat was not moving.
The thing is we need to try and be a safe as we can for what we do.
Any thing can happen, a good freind of ours was killed while running his dog last week at PCH and Brookhurst,(car hit him) bad shit can happen at any time.
God Bless all

Wicky
01-13-2002, 09:37 AM
JamesSS,
I think you nailed that one. Seems to me there might have been mechanical failure, which is always my BIGGEST concern at triple digits. I had myself measured for a LIfeline jacket last Friday.
I will order the Lifeline on monday. They are cheaper than a new prop!! Ski jackets are going bye bye!!
Kill switch lanyard and foot throttle have saved my ass once already. I always wear the lanyard, I hope everyone else does too. It's there for a good reason. If you have a fast boat I highly recommend ditching the hand throttle and get a foot throttle immediately if you don't already have one.
I share the families sadness with them as both my eyes and my wife's eyes watered when we read the news last night.
These men did what they loved. Race boat or not. Everyone has their own therapies in life to keep oneself happy and everyone eventually dies. Personally, I would rather die going fast than suffer growing old. I have a family. I will buy this lifeline jacket for that reason. I already have a helmut that will be utilized more frequently.
Wicky
[This message has been edited by Wicky (edited January 13, 2002).]

Cole
01-13-2002, 10:44 AM
I heard through the grape vine(my wife)
"she is actually looking everywhere for info!!!! I have never seen her so freaked out about something",anyway she called me and said they lost an engine doing 90 mph(do not hold this to me,just heard it from my wife)dont know if its true,but could losing an engine cause such a thing?? Cole

Havasu Hangin'
01-13-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by Cole:
...she called me and said they lost an engine doing 90 mph(do not hold this to me,just heard it from my wife)dont know if its true,but could losing an engine cause such a thing?
Losing an engine or drive would cause drag on that side, making the boat hook very hard...speculation is that's what caused the barrel-roll.

MrHavasuCat
01-13-2002, 11:18 AM
I don't know if I buy the "loosing an engine" theory. My last boat had twin 2.5's (dcb mach 26) and I broke a gear case on one of the motors at high speed, which means that all the power was now coming from one motor. The boat tracked straight and I am sure the hydraulic steering helped. I am also sure that the HTM was running full hydraulic steering, because you would not set up a boat capable of those speeds without it. With the hydraulic steering I was able to keep the boat on plane with one motor and drive it back to the dock. the boat tracked straight the entire time.
I have to agree with Cole on the turning at 90 plus mph. Turning a cat at high speeds can be very dangerous because it is easy to hook a sponson and roll the boat.
I had a steering valve break on my current boat at about 70 mph causing the drive to bang instantly all the way to the right. The boat hooked and spun to the right and nearly threw the rear passenger out of the boat. If we were going faster we could have easily rolled the boat. I never take turns in my cat to fast or to hard. they are a different animal than a v hull and you really need to take the time to learn how the boat reacts.

Tinkerboater
01-13-2002, 11:35 AM
Another thing to think about is do you realy need to race that other boat full of YOUNG DRUNK idiots. Last summer I was returning to port at 55 mph in 2 to 3 ft chop ( that is my cruise speed ) ( 34 scarab ) when a 26 scarab ( I have seen many times but never raced because it is stock and we were never near each other ) came along side with 4 guys in it and wanted to race. When I signaled no they kept taunting me. When we got in the channel they gave me a hard time untill I told them I was much faster than them and didnt want to wast the gas. The truth is that I didnt want to put the other guys into a situation that could be dangerous for all of us. I have seen him race - He is nuts ! He wouldnt have stoped even with the bad water conditions.

Mn Howard Cat
01-13-2002, 12:36 PM
After the recent events I'v had to think about the safety aspect a little harder. Last week I orderd two Lifline jackets for my wife and I now I'm going to order two for the passengers good lif jackets will be money well spent and if you can afford a 90 or 100+ MPH boat you can afford good comfortable jackets a life isn't worth the risk.
Jest my opinion.

Thunderbutt
01-13-2002, 01:29 PM
MnHowardcat When you hand the two Life-line jackets (and maybe helmets) to your passengers and they ask why do we need these, what do you say? Were going out into dangerous waters or I'm going to be a little reckless. Don't get me wrong I've done the same things that all hot boaters do but after I got wet two times I wised up.
Jim

Charley
01-13-2002, 07:15 PM
how and where do you buy a lifeline life jacket?What is different about it?

Costello
01-13-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by superdave013:
When I was a kid I raced APBA class C mod hydros. Well, I was out dinking around in front of our house on a fine Saturday afternoon and zipped by this floting diving raft showing off for some chicks. I was maybe going 80 or so (in a 12' hydro). Well I got pitched out of the sucker and when I stopped my Obrian ski jacket had one shoulder torn in half and all of the plastic buckles but the top one broken. I was lucky that day! (I was not swimming to well eathier) So you should wear a good jacket like a lifeline with the leg straps. They won't come off of you. I also have a big beef with the way the ski jackets are designed. If you are knocked out you flot with your face down in the water! I was in a 26' cat at Parker and a 13 yo girl ran her PWC into the side of the boat. We were going about 50+. She was knocked out and sucking water when we got to her. Those jackets are good for skiing but not racing!
Wearing all of the best gear can still not ensure you won't get hurt but it will make your chances better.
Dave pretty much answered your question above. A Lifeline jacket (chute or Non-chute) is designed to float the unconscious victim face up, as well as not come apart on impact. Go to www.lifelinejackets.com (http://www.lifelinejackets.com) for info.
[This message has been edited by Costello (edited January 13, 2002).]

FastCats
01-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Hangin, you hit it right. I have been talking to an extremely reliable source that has been out at the lake and he believes that the boat was going in a straight line and either lost an engine or locked up a drive. Think about the prop at that point or speed as a bent skeg. Just my o2
We do a lot of testing at some of the same types of speeds and it is a matter of safety first, you never know what may happen, so be prepared.
Those guys did what they loved, it's called making their product better, it's the same in what we do. Steve and I were freindly competitors. It has really hit close to home for me!
Scott
Scott
[This message has been edited by FastCats (edited January 13, 2002).]

Thunderbutt
01-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Fastcats, When you are testing a boat and are trying to achieve these speeds do you wear the appropriate life protection? I can't beleave they wouldn't. Were they testing or playing? And do you test a boat for speed with four people in the boat.

SCOTT
01-14-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Costello:
An unfortunate example of what can happen even under the best circumstances (e.g. mandated safety equipment in a sanctioned race) is Tom Bogdanich's crash earlier this year at IHBA Hot Summer Nationals. Tom has a ME 10 second Jet boat that took the infamous hard right turn, sending him out hard left. Tom was wearing all of the mandated safety equipment, but not the optional ballistic shorts. Besides breaking his pelvis etc, the 115 mph enema of water up the behind nearly killed the man. He is still not nearly recovered. His medical bills are over the 2 million dollar mark and still mounting. Let's face it, 115 mph is NOT that fast in reality. I've done it too Doug, the fast runs at CFW with nothing but my swim shorts on, no helmet etc. It's plain stupid unless you are prepared. Guys like Bill (Preacher) from the CVDCOA really set a good example by vesting up, putting on the brain bucket etc. when he wants to play hard. He is the exception and not the rule, and this is one reason I get real bummed out even watching the whole lake racing thing. Too many people do not know the power of the weapon between their steering hands and under their foot. It's a miracle that there aren't more accidents. Believe me I don't want to come across as condescending, as I have done about everything dumb in a boat one can do. The key is learn from our mistakes, don't take shortcuts as to equipment; both on the boat and safety equipment, and use our head not our nuts when we're out there.

RiverToysJas
01-14-2002, 02:11 PM
Lifeline jackets are NOT coastguard approved. Boat cop has talked about this in the past. He knows the guy that owns LifeLine and per him it's just too expensive to get them approved (~$250,000). They are a specality item for a small market.
Boatcop said that he personally knows they are the safest jackets you can wear (he owns one) and wouldn't cite someone if they were actually wearing one. If whoever they only had them on board, that's not good enough. Part of Coast Guard approval is how fast the device could be put on. SO, if you want to order LifeLine Jackets (as many should) it doesn't mean we leave the "approved" jackets at home.
Also, there's always the possibility that you'll get a clueless cop who follows the letter of the law, even when you're wearing one. Probably worth a ticket, but just an FYI in case anyone didn't realize that they aren't approved, like I didn't.
RTJas

SCOTT
01-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Costello:
COSTELLO....
I know tom from the njba races,I pitted with him and allen zellar a few times.If you see him please tell him scott (with the orange/white gullwing)we hope he has a speedy recovery.Its a small world,Ken Lane and tom raced each other in the same class in njba.I have ken lanes old gullwing.

RiverDave2
01-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Jason, I'm not following ya here. When did it become illegal not to where a life jacket? I.E. What can you get a ticket for?
RD

future boater
01-14-2002, 02:31 PM
riverdave2, i am pretty sure that you are required to have a uscg approved flotation device for all people onboard. the younger passengers, im not sure of the age limit, are required to wear one at all times.

RiverToysJas
01-14-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave2:
Jason, I'm not following ya here. When did it become illegal not to where a life jacket? I.E. What can you get a ticket for?
RD
Not having "Coast Guard approved" jackets in the proper size for each person on board is a violation.
My point is, if you have a LifeLine you probably won't wear it ALL of the time. When you are not wearing it, you'll still have to have CG approved jackets in addition to the (somewhat) bulky LifeLine jackets on board. Just so people don't think they can swap one for the other and be in compliance. that's all.
RTJas.

future boater
01-14-2002, 02:33 PM
so you would still have the approved ones onboard. i think that was rt(no fenders)jasons point.

RiverToysJas
01-14-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by future boater:
so you would still have the approved ones onboard. i think that was rt(no fenders)jasons point.
BINGO! Thank you.

future boater
01-14-2002, 02:49 PM
i dont know how you go a post between the two of mine but you did.

Thunderbutt
01-14-2002, 03:08 PM
It won't be long and the law will change to every one in a boat will have to ware an approved life jacket at all times. I'm glad I'm old enough not to see that.

MrHavasuCat
01-14-2002, 03:08 PM
Charley,
Lifeline is out of Parker Az. I bought two a couple years ago and they were $450.00 each. I had them custom made to match the boat with the DCB logo sewn on them. I don't know how much just the common orange jackets from them cost. They are very nice jackets with leg straps and a colar that is designed to float you face up should you be knocked out.

Thunderbutt
01-14-2002, 03:21 PM
One of these days the law will say every one in the boat will have an approved life jacket on at all times. I'm old enough not to see that happen, and thank God

Costello
01-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Scott, I don't know Tom well personally, but Todd Plate (TAH 633) is a friend of mine and he and Dino Warda and the rest of the Blurred Vison gang are all close to Tom. I hope Tom will at least be able to come out and spectate this year. There is a link to a story about Tom on www.dragboats.com (http://www.dragboats.com) under Tidbits in the right hand column dated about 2-3 weeks ago if you want the details. Alan Zellar is also a buddy of mine from the races and a heck of a nice guy.
[This message has been edited by Costello (edited January 14, 2002).]

FastCats
01-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Hi Thunderbutt,
When I test anything over 100 I wear a Lifeline, until now anything under 100 I usually did not, ... but will now at anything over 80! I was at the last ***boat test and noticed Wilkes wearing a helmet and am now considering the same, especially in runs over 120.
I only want to have myself and one other in the boat testing, until now it was my wife Aimee, an excellent navigator (constantly telling me where to go... in more ways than one) and is great with the radar, gps and gauge monitoring. After this weekend we have decided to change that and I will move someone else into the cockpit with me, ... for obvious reasons. (family) We also usually try to have another boat out with us, but thats tough sometimes.
How'd you end up with your name, or should I ask?
[This message has been edited by FastCats (edited January 14, 2002).]

Thunderbutt
01-16-2002, 02:38 PM
Fastcats, Thunderbutt is the name of my boat. I tell people that I named it after my wife but that isn't true. When I first started the motor the boat was in the garage and it was deafening, so the motor builder said name it Thunderbutt.