PDA

View Full Version : A hole in my Lightnings......`

clownpuncher
12-13-2005, 10:34 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1081otr_engine_2.jpg I have a very small hole on the jacket of one of my Lightning headers. They're powder coated and the hole is right at the collecter, or where the tubes all meet into one.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/536engine.jpg
My question............Can these be fixed or am i looking at buying new?
Thanks in advance
ROC

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
12-13-2005, 10:56 PM
I dont have an answer for you but I will tell you that your mill looks very nice;)

clownpuncher
12-13-2005, 11:10 PM
Good enough, thanks :D

bigriverdog
12-14-2005, 06:27 AM
An external leak is no problem, fix it. If the internal tube starts to leak it will hydralic your motor and could do some major damage. I would check to see when they were built and find out if the inner tube is stainless or mild steel. I had an early set of Bassetts and they were made with a mild steel inner tube. They failed and filed the motor with water.
The new Bassetts have stainless steel inner tube and this won't happen, they say.
Side note: When I put the new ones in, I put a petcock on the water inlet rail. How after use I drain them. This keeps water from sitting in them and
rusting.
Hope that helps.

Carbon Dave
12-14-2005, 07:23 AM
If it is in the outer jacket then it is just leaking water....right? I would think you could use an epoxy to fill the hole then use touch up paint to cover so it will match the powder coating. Since it is the jacket you are not talking about a really high heat situation.

Lightning
12-14-2005, 08:41 AM
I would give Lightning Headers a call and see what they can do. THey are located in the Corona area, so pretty close to you. I would think that that's fixable, I am pretty sure they use steel on those headers for both inner and outer, they also have stainless headers if you are looking to "upgrade".

AZKC
12-14-2005, 10:42 AM
I'd make Froggy fix it :crossx: :)

LGCDEVIL
12-14-2005, 11:49 AM
I would give Lightning Headers a call and see what they can do. THey are located in the Corona area, so pretty close to you. I would think that that's fixable, I am pretty sure they use steel on those headers for both inner and outer, they also have stainless headers if you are looking to "upgrade".
Did this to mine. An old set I had blasted & powder coated. Blew holes through all the thin spots. Just got a small tube of epoxy and filled the holes. Worked for three trips. Who knows about longevity. I was under the impression that all Lightning's inners were stainless. Been wrong before though.

Sleek-Jet
12-14-2005, 11:58 AM
I'd make Froggy fix it :crossx: :)
... See what this warranty of his is all about... :D

lucky
12-14-2005, 12:14 PM
in the collector..... if you CAN see the hole . depending on where it is you could tig it from the inside ( if accesable ) and you would do very minimul damage to the powder coat _ if any at all -- If it happens - Mix up some touch up paint and " blend " a good paint shop can color match , or come very close !

flat broke
12-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Lightnings of the vintage you have, should have stainless inners which should make you feel a little less stressed about the catastrophic engine failure aspect if they were to leak internally. However, as already pointed out, I would call Jan at lightning www.boatheaders.com and see what he says. Bear in mind that the outers are mild steel so they can be easily repaired if it is an isolated instance type of issue.
Chris