PDA

View Full Version : 1959 Lincoln help needed

HOSS
12-14-2005, 07:49 AM
I have an engine number of 4-8ASA,,,what is this 429?
Carter 4 bbl. I need to know a rebuild kit or replacement for this carb too.
Thanks,
James

GofastRacer
12-14-2005, 07:58 AM
Those came with a 430, totally different animal, way before the "385" series!..

HOSS
12-14-2005, 08:05 AM
Where do I get a site like Mor Tec? This is not a 385 series.

dmontzsta
12-14-2005, 08:06 AM
I have an engine number of 4-8ASA,,,what is this 429?
Carter 4 bbl. I need to know a rebuild kit or replacement for this carb too.
Thanks,
James
Thats a weird number, I dont even see it in my Ford book. It might be a Y block.

HOSS
12-14-2005, 08:09 AM
I have numbers off the deck,,,4-8ASA.
vin plate: H9YA403722
body color trim date
67A 16 907 21 (L or 1) can`t tell
Thanks,
James

GofastRacer
12-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Maybe this will help, been so long I forgot all the specs on those!..
430! (http://www.motorhouse.org/Forum%20Post%20Bilder/MEL%20Forum/Photo%20Albums/Mel%20Engine%20fresh%20up%20gallery%201/page_01.htm)

HOSS
12-14-2005, 08:28 AM
I do know its an H motor now. What the hell is that.

Big Kahunaa
12-14-2005, 08:40 AM
I have a 430 in a 62 lincoln i'll go look at it and see if i can find any numbers on it

HOSS
12-14-2005, 08:54 AM
No damn way on this info:
20-20W for oil above 32 degrees
cam part number: EDJ-6250-A
10.5:1 compression
premium fuel and no doubt needs to be leaded as I am sure no hardenned seats.
NOW check this out,,,,,,,59.17 horsepower (taxable SAE) what the hell is that?

HOSS
12-14-2005, 08:55 AM
oh,, idle is at 450 with an automatic. Got some kinda weird ass turbo 2 deal. It states to floor it off the line and it will shift at 45 mph. :cool:

Moneypitt
12-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Hoss, that motor should be a true wedge block. The bore is not square to the heads, and the heads are flat. The combustion chamber is in the block, a true wedge shape. Wierd pistons with a flat top angled to fill the wedge shape combustion chamber. Some came with a GM 4 speed hydro, but I'm not sure of the years. This block, along with the GM 348 and 409 are the only true wedge engines I've ever seen..............Ray

HOSS
12-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Maybe this will help, been so long I forgot all the specs on those!..
430! (http://www.motorhouse.org/Forum%20Post%20Bilder/MEL%20Forum/Photo%20Albums/Mel%20Engine%20fresh%20up%20gallery%201/page_01.htm)
Awsome link,,,thanks.

HOSS
12-14-2005, 09:28 AM
How do I know what the hell size motor it is? Is this a regular square bore or unique to engine family? Its got a Carter but accelerator pump or should I say metering rod is leaking and probably needs bushing. What size carb is it. I would rather just put a holley on it. Should I stay with this and wor with it since the linkeage is unique? Needs front bumper sent to Sams in TX to straighten and re chrome and some trim pieces. Lil rust but this car is prestine. Weird rearend too. 10 bolt but never seen one like this. Has a posi too! Heavy as hell but,,,damn the polyester frys. :D

Sleek-Jet
12-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Is it an AFB?? If so, is the shaft that drives the accel. pump what's leaking??? If that's the case, you'll need a new plunger. All of the Edelbrock Performer carb parts will work on an AFB. To my knowlege, they didn't have different size accel pump like a Holley.

dmontzsta
12-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Hoss,
1. Disassemble the entire motor, down to a bare short block.
2. Tie a nice chain through 2 of the middle cylinders, almost like you are hoisting.
3. Tie a nice ski rope to the chain with a nice buoy or ball on the end of that.
4. Get a couple of buddies to go with you.
5. Take that motor out to your favorite boating location.
6. Have your buddies help you unload the motor.
7. Walk out to your favorite beach and dump it, right up where you usually put your anchor.
8. Enjoy having the strongest, most secure anchor everytime, without having to bring one with you everytime.
:D

HOSS
12-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Yes an AFB. No float bowls. I don`t know jack about these. I have to dump gas down the throat to start it. After that it`ll run all day. Varnish burns the eyes.

HOSS
12-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Hoss,
1. Disassemble the entire motor, down to a bare short block.
2. Tie a nice chain through 2 of the middle cylinders, almost like you are hoisting.
3. Tie a nice ski rope to the chain with a nice buoy or ball on the end of that.
4. Get a couple of buddies to go with you.
5. Take that motor out to your favorite boating location.
6. Have your buddies help you unload the motor.
7. Walk out to your favorite beach and dump it, right up where you usually put your anchor.
8. Enjoy having the strongest, most secure anchor everytime, without having to bring one with you everytime.
:D
Resto you moron. Why would I want to destroy a piece of history like this? Love the oval cylinders. And can you say closed chamberred heads! Damn thats neet. :D

Sleek-Jet
12-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Yes an AFB. No float bowls. I don`t know jack about these. I have to dump gas down the throat to start it. After that it`ll run all day. Varnish burns the eyes.
They have float bowls, they're just part of the carb body. Sounds like the accel. pump plunger is shot, no squirt. There are two bowls, one on each side of the carb.
The entire top of the carb comes off. There is a series of screws along the outside that you take off and then lift the top off. The accel pump will come out with the top. No gaskets below the fuel level, so you don't have to worry about dumping fuel all over the engine or fuel leaks
Here's Edelbrocks manual on line... http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/eps_intro.html

Big Kahunaa
12-14-2005, 10:16 AM
I did not find any numbers motor still in the car it has a carb on it if you need parts but a new edelbrock will fit right on there

HOSS
12-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks but I really wanna use the stock unit. Will it leak out the rod if pluger is bad?

Sleek-Jet
12-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks but I really wanna use the stock unit. Will it leak out the rod if pluger is bad?
Yes. The plunger is what seals the pump cavity. If fuel leaks around it, it'll leak out the shaft.
The E-brok performers are a copy of the AFB. All the parts and tunning techniques work on both. E-brok makes all the parts to rebuild these carbs, so it's no problem finding what ever piece you need.
I've got E-brok/AFB's on all my street vehicles and have had good luck with them. I prefer 'em over Holleys for everyday type of work.

HOSS
12-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks sleek. Got a guy on a plunger now. What else am I looking at. No much of a rebuild it seems. Pop the top and clean. Is there a kit? What to look for, I`m going in now. Might as well do it right ,,,,,,one time.

Moneypitt
12-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Hoss, pull the metering rods out before you pull the top off. They are spring loaded up and held in by the little irregular shaped caps with small screws holding the caps down. You will never get the top back on with the rods in place. After the top is secured you can feed the rods back in place one at a time and secure with cap/screw. These rods are very small at the ends and bend easily if not feed into the jet at the bottom of the chamber. Also, I think the Edelbrock carbs are fashioned after the carter AVS carb, not the original AFB of the 50s and early 60s. The acc pumps are different sizes over the years and the Edelbrock replacement parts do not fit all. Also beware of the acc circuit check ball under the squirter, this could be an area of corosion,(plugged up), and a reason the squirt comes out the top as it has no where else to go.....MP

Sleek-Jet
12-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Thanks sleek. Got a guy on a plunger now. What else am I looking at. No much of a rebuild it seems. Pop the top and clean. Is there a kit? What to look for, I`m going in now. Might as well do it right ,,,,,,one time.
Just clean things up good... check the float levels by turning the top upside down and placing a 7/16" drill bit under the outside tip of the float, it should just barely fit. If it doesn't, bend the float till it does. How's that for scientific??? :D
The needle on the float inlet, at least on the E-brocks, is some sort of rubber, might check those to make sure they haven't deteriorated.
I usually blow carb cleaner down through the jet passages and what not.
If you can ever figure out what size of carb it is, you can pick up a calibration kit from E-brok, it will have all the springs, metering rods, and jet's you'll need.
The link I posted has all the adjustment info and a parts diagram.

Sleek-Jet
12-14-2005, 10:51 AM
Hoss.. does it look like this
AFB
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10169&stc=1
or this
AVS
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10170&stc=1
If it looks like the AFB, my appologies for leading you in the wrong direction.

HOSS
12-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Looks more like the top but not quite. It looks just like a Holley with boosters.

Sleek-Jet
12-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Looks more like the top but not quite. It looks just like a Holley with boosters.
You gotta pic of that bad boy???

blowngas
12-14-2005, 03:16 PM
like a Holley with boosters
sounds like a FoMoCo carb----they were on quite a few vehicles of that era----they would work, but that's about all you could say about them---better off replacing it with holley 650

spectras only
12-14-2005, 05:05 PM
Hoss , the tranny is a twin range turbo cast iron unit . Indestructable to say the least :) . The 60's came with the 430 cu blue printed engine , changed to 462 in 65 on .1968 was the 460 for the Mark III . Mark II in the late 50's had the smaller engine .The Premier had the 430 I believe .Good luck scrounging parts for it , especially OEM pistons. I'll check the carb application when I get home . Here's my 64 I had it for 26 yrs as my tow vehicle for the jet boat :cool: http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectralincolln666.1.jpg

HOSS
12-14-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks bro,,but the numbers check
Origianal carb,,,fucj,,,,,,,its got boosters no doubt,,,,,,,,,carter afb,,,,,fbfhgs;ihgbw im dinkin now

HOSS
12-15-2005, 05:16 AM
will have pics today

BBTAHITI
12-15-2005, 05:55 AM
All through school I wanted a '59..... loved the canted headlights and slammed look it had stock. Personally, I'd ditch the MEL and put a 385 in it. Not as much collector value in it as others of that era, and it just BEGS to pull the boat to the water!

SnoopJonnyJon
12-15-2005, 09:08 PM
http://www.kanter.com/p12-crb.html#LINCOLN
Shows a carb kit for that as being $65... might as well start with that. Kanter seems to be a pretty good for havign weirdo oddball obselete engine parts, loads of stuff for anyone with a Packard. I took a look and found complete rebuild kits on there too (for your Lincoln)... not cheap like a SBC, but pretty reasonable considering the cost of tooling involved to make so few parts. Noticed they have carpets and headliners for the car too.
I can understand you wanting to restore it instead of modifying/molesting it. I have a totally original 1969 IH Scout, which despite not being as desirable as say a same year blazer, or bronco makes up for it by being so original. Almost all of them ended up with a lift, a small block transplant (after all the slant 4 196, a 392 International big block with one banked sawed off with a bandsaw, makes a good anchor), and some ugly aftermarket rims. Its got less than $2000 in it, and at an all-International truck show it got as much attention as modified rigs with 10x that much in them. I'm certainly not against hot rodding, I love modifying vehicles, but if one makes it that long in one piece, it ought to stay that way

spectras only
12-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Hoss , your Linc should have the carter AFB with the 430 engine .
here are some pics >
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/59%20Mark%20IV.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/59%20specs.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/59%20Capri.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/58%20premier.jpg

Moneypitt
12-16-2005, 08:36 AM
That 430 motor has about the same bore/stroke ratio as the 427 BBC. Bigger bore, shorter stroke, which says it should RPM pretty well. One drawback is those huge pistons with the angled top, as I remember those suckers were quite heavy. I once rebuilt one for a guy with a boat, long before I got into boats, and he had Jahns, (sp) 13:1 pistons for it! And the heads are really funny looking with no chamber at all.............MP

spectras only
12-16-2005, 10:50 AM
MP , that lincoln engine was a real performer. The short stroke let the engine spool up real fast.My 64 weighed in at 5050 lbs . When you put the pedal to the metal ,the four barrell just screamed through that huge air cleaner. Rear end ratio was something like 2.79 ,yet I could spin the rear tires. The car handled great too , due to rear leaf springs . My 66 caddy Deville was a mush with its coil springs. The 60's Lincolns were definitely the best built north american car. Blueprinted engines , galvanized body panels , S/S trim and hubcaps ,6 way power seats , all windows were power including the little vent ones and 2 yr warranty to boot. You could drive 90 mph all day long [ made a nonstop trip once with a friend ,from vancouver to LA :) Lots of innovative features were built in those cars. For example ; wiper system ran of the power steering pump through a regulator . This regulator sensed when the rain stopped and reset the wipers at rest. When the rain started the wipers started moving with speed changes infinitely depending on the rain's intensity. New cars now have this feature with electronics :rolleyes: .Both my linc and caddy had the sentinel system for the lights you could calibrate the distance you wanted the high beam to go low beam when a car approached from the opposite direction. Parking brake released by putting the car in gear , the door locks and trunk opened with vacuum [ there was an air tank for these two functions] .Hoss should stay original with his.

HOSS
12-16-2005, 12:27 PM
This thing has got to have a posi. Both rears light up instantly with hardly any pedal.

spectras only
12-16-2005, 02:02 PM
With nearly 500 footpounds of torque it should :) It would only be a limited slip diff I think!

maxwedge
12-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I can say that I have had good luck with Kanter on impossible to find stuff, like engine parts for an AMC 287. The prices are somewhat expensive, but I did get great service, and all the parts were top notch. I guess when you're the only one who has the stuff, you can pretty much charge whatever you want. :cry: Good luck on the Lincoln resto. I've always loved those things. Gotta get me one some day. :)