PDA

View Full Version : Chevy starters

squirts
10-06-2002, 06:32 PM
I have a 427 with a flex plate and the starter is giving me hell. Should I put the flywheel back on and use a regular starter or go to a high torque starter with the flex plate. Who uses high torque starters and what type do you recommend. Im open for any suggestions. Also if I need to shim the starter where should I start the shims sizes at? Thanks

Jet Junk
10-06-2002, 08:41 PM
I am assuming it is a bottom mount starter. The flywheel will most likely give you the quietest results at the cost of throttle response. Start with a fresh starter drive, a flywheel with a perfect ring gear and NO shims. If the ring gear or starter drive is even slightly ate up, it will eventually give you problems. If you use a Delco gear reduction starter(which will most likely give you the best results), make damn sure you use good starter mounting bolts that you can barely pass through the end frame. Get these from the chevy parts house, not the part store in the "Help" blister packs. This will keep the starter from "walking" on the block and causing a mis-alignment between the starter an ring rear. If you are using a full-size delco 10mt starter, there is a brace that goes from the block to the front of the starter that really helps stabilize it. Hope this helps you out, I know how frustrating it can be to get it starting reliably and quietly.....Tommy

squirts
10-07-2002, 08:39 AM
Thanks Tommy thats the kind of info Im looking for.It is a bottom mount starter. What do you think about the flexplate? yea or no.

West Coast Dave
10-07-2002, 09:39 AM
We use an aftermarket flexplate w/ a Tilton mini hi torque that spins a 14:1 engine w/ no problem.

Boater Bill
10-07-2002, 11:33 AM
Jet Junk, just curious about your comment about flywheels costing throttle response. Can you explain your viewpoint? Thanks.

stix818
10-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Are your clearances good between the flex plate and starter? We use SFI approved flexplate and Hamburger mini high torque starter for our race boat and my flat. I believe it's a 350-427 (internally ballanced) 168 tooth flexplate.

Bahner tunnel
10-07-2002, 01:32 PM
I'm using a B&M flex plate (168 tooth int. balanced) and a CSI brand gear reduction mini starter and it works great with my 13 to 1 496 BBC.

superdave013
10-07-2002, 02:05 PM
Only place to get a starter is from RB Preformance in Parker, Az.
He ships any place. Ron Cook is the guy to talk to and he knows boats real well. His starters are all ball bearing unlike most others.
His # is 520-669-6411
This is a pic of his stuff at the Long Beach Swapmeet.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/RB_starters.JPG

Rexone
10-07-2002, 02:26 PM
Squirts, as long as your ring gear and starter drive gear are in good shape you should have no problem. If either are worn though it is a continuing cycle of deterioration as one gear spins on the other. Your throttle response should be (slightly) better with the flexplate because of the weight and it really should not be a problem as long as you use a good quality flexplate (I'd avoid the import stuff). As far as starters there are many good ones on the market as others have mentioned. Generally the small gear reductions units are considered better these days. We handle the IMI Hi Torque line and you can see them at this link. http://www.rexmar.com/page306.html
Hope this helps and good luck.

gnarley
10-07-2002, 02:27 PM
SD013, are any of his starters marine rated???

Hustler
10-07-2002, 02:44 PM
I just put a RB Performance starter on my boat for this past weekend and I gotta tell ya it works flawless, I have gone through so many starters in my boat and none of them ever worked this good, The RB performance started comes with a 5 year warranty also. if you are in the LA area you can get them from Jim Brock at Cyclone marine.

squirts
10-07-2002, 03:52 PM
Well thanks everyone but I just ordered one from Rex Marine the IMI model. I will pick up a new flex plate to go with this. If theres any pros or cons for the IMI let me know as I leave for Parker Wensday morning and I can pick up one at RB if the IMI isnt what it should be. Again thanks for all of your input.

Jet Junk
10-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Boater Bill: The added weight of a flywheel versus a flexplate will slow the rate the engine is capable of accelerating at slightly. A flywheel is more rigid and deflects less, keeping the gears better aligned. This is not to say a flexplate won't work. My boat has a flexplate and it starts fine, just has a ringing noise after the starter disengages.
I believe someone asked if the gear reduction starters were the marine type? As far as that goes, the late model Delco gear reduction units factory installed on most newer Merc. stuff are completely identical to the conventional automotive counterparts. The only difference (and an important one) on the earlier Delco starters was the center plate, which basically sealed the armature, brushes and field coils of the starter. All aftermarket hi-torque gear reduction starters are shielded in this manner. This does not mean they are "coast Guard" or "Marine" "Approved", But IMHO, they are a safe replacement for a Marine-type starter. Hope this helps....Tommy( Now to sit back and watch this post blow up)

powerplay230
10-07-2002, 05:15 PM
Don't worry Tommy, most of us would much rather see the post blow up instead of our motors or worse bilge... well unless maybe it won't sell! :D

Fired Up
10-08-2002, 01:51 PM
I also picked up a starter from Ron at RB Performance earlier this year. I'm not sure if you are in the local SoCal area , but he will be at the Pomona Swapmeet this coming weekend. Better yet just give him a call. He will get back to you. He has a variety of starters, alternators and waterpumps.

AZKC
10-08-2002, 02:23 PM
I use a marine starter that my Car Quest guy found. It's a sealed up HD unit and works great it ran me about $100. What do those hi-tech ones run?
KC

Hustler
10-09-2002, 12:55 PM
superdave013:
Only place to get a starter is from RB Preformance in Parker, Az.
He ships any place. Ron Cook is the guy to talk to and he knows boats real well. His starters are all ball bearing unlike most others.
His # is 928-669-6411
This is a pic of his stuff at the Long Beach Swapmeet.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Other_Equipment/RB_starters.JPGNOTE I changed the area code for Ron

powerplay230
10-10-2002, 12:14 PM
If indeed the gm piece is sealed like the marine piece, I have a like new gear reduction starter I took of my 502 before buying a "marine" one I would sell CHEAP.

Jet Junk
10-10-2002, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't say "sealed", but more accurately "shielded". If it indeed a Delco gear reduction started, it is identical to the Marine rated started except for the sticker.

squirts
10-13-2002, 04:49 PM
Well I just got back from the river nice all week long. I replaced the starter with a IMI and also put on a BM flex plate and so far no problems.So just wanted to say thanks for all the info.