PDA

View Full Version : Skater Vs Spectre Vs DCB Vs Charley

TCHB
12-14-2005, 03:38 PM
There sure seems to be a big price diff in the two boats in the 30 range with the same power. Why is this???
Spectre seem alot cheaper???

Charley
12-14-2005, 05:00 PM
There sure seems to be a big price diff in the two boats in the 30 range with the same power. Why is this???
Spectre seem alot cheaper???
Are you comparing a standard deck or flat deck skater to a spectre? Spectre does not offer a flat deck to my knowledge.
I'll assume traditional deck
Consider that there are over 100 choices combined of used Spectre or Skater boats on OSO that are 1-4 years old at 50-80 cents on the dollar I don't know why someone would buy one new unless they want the new 32 spectre or need a very specific drive package.... I will tell you right now... if Jeff Herman will really sell his 36 for what he told me the other night it's quite a deal. Good luck

TCHB
12-14-2005, 08:09 PM
Are both boats about the same in the way they drive and ride with the same engine package?

mbrown2
12-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Supply and Demand......Customers will pay for a certain amount for the Skater name....customers will only pay a certain amount for the Spectre name...
I think if you went an optioned out a new 32 from both makers Flat Deck from Skater and New 32 from Spectre, there would be a quite a bit of diff with the Skater being higher.......and price diff is there because Skater can and will charge for it:)

Havasu Cig
12-15-2005, 09:44 AM
I might be a little biased, but I think the build quality on a Skater is better. You look at the inside of my boat and it is more impressive than the outside. Vacuum bagged epoxy resins, all seems are reinforced with kevlar etc... If you also look at the edges on my boat they are razor sharp.
I talked to Dave from DCB about this at the boat show and asked him why you don't see other boats with edges like that and his response was that it was hard to do. He said that Peter at Skater definitely is one of the best in the business when it comes build quality.
If you look at the performance numbers you will see a difference as well. My 28 will run in the 120 range with stock 300x's. That is a good number for a 28' boat. The new 30 flat deck has run in the mid 150 range with N/A 750's. What will another brand boat in the same size range run with the same power?
Spectre builds a very nice boat, but I think you get more with a Skater. My.02.

INSman
12-15-2005, 11:31 AM
You definitely get more with the Skater including the price tag. The Spectre is a great boat for the price and for those of us that don't have a "Trust Fund" or open checkbook to pull from.
The new 32' Spectre is supposed to be a great boat that is newly designed and can go offshore very easily. Maybe not quite the performance and sex appeal as the Skater, but certainly a nice affordable alternative.

FASTERDAMITT
12-15-2005, 11:51 AM
No Skaters is the SuperBoat Stock outboard class World Championships! Hmmm. Wonder why?http://www.superboat.com/ranking.cfm
1. Doug Wright/AMT
2. Doug Wright/AMT
3. Spectra
4. Deep V cats

Havasu Cig
12-15-2005, 04:02 PM
No Skaters is the SuperBoat Stock outboard class World Championships! Hmmm. Wonder why?http://www.superboat.com/ranking.cfm
1. Doug Wright/AMT
2. Doug Wright/AMT
3. Spectra
4. Deep V cats
From what I hear Peter is working on a new boat to take back the O/B cat class. Skater has been focusing on the bigger classes but there was a time when they dominated the O/B class as well. As a matter of fact the only 28 I have seen being campained lately is an older boat and I believe the racers are relatively new to the sport. The person to ask would be Ryan Beckley who has race time in both AMT's and Skaters. He speaks very highly of the Skater even though I believe he currently races an AMT.
I will put my pleasure version against any other cat in the same size range with O/B power. The AMT is a very nice boat but it won't touch my Skater when it comes to speed.
Like I said above Spectre builds a nice boat but I think you get more with Skater.

Jordy
12-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I might know where there is a 30' Spectre with twin 300X's available if you're in the market. ;)

Havasu Cig
12-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Here is a quote from Ryan from an OSO thread, he is way more qualified than me to compare these boats...
"A Motion is a great design overall and will run with the other similar designs, Spectre and AMT. But you can't compare these to a 28' Skater it is kinda like comparing............um........I dunno , but they are different OK? Yes the 28 IS faster, ALOT FASTER in some cases, but for the most part all are good boats."
S-111 "YOUR NAME HERE" for the right price
seeking financial backing for 2006 race season
for more info contact me kineticanimation@gmail.com

TCHB
12-15-2005, 07:19 PM
It seems like all agree that both boats are great boats. Do both boats ride about the same in Havasu washing machine water?

INSman
12-15-2005, 08:01 PM
It seems like all agree that both boats are great boats. Do both boats ride about the same in Havasu washing machine water?
Both will easily handle whatever you will encounter in Havasu :cool:

Boatlesss
12-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Supply and Demand......Customers will pay for a certain amount for the Skater name....customers will only pay a certain amount for the Spectre name...
I think if you went an optioned out a new 32 from both makers Flat Deck from Skater and New 32 from Spectre, there would be a quite a bit of diff with the Skater being higher.......and price diff is there because Skater can and will charge for it:)
What is the pricing on the standard deck 32' Skater and the standard 32' Spectre? Apples to apples. Which is faster?

Boatlesss
12-15-2005, 08:28 PM
If you look at the performance numbers you will see a difference as well. My 28 will run in the 120 range with stock 300x's. That is a good number for a 28' boat. The new 30 flat deck has run in the mid 150 range with N/A 750's. What will another brand boat in the same size range run with the same power?
This is a good question. What does the other boat manufacturers run with the same power?
Skater in the 150's to 160
DCB ???
Eliminator ??
Spectre ??
HTM??
Others?

INSman
12-15-2005, 08:33 PM
This is a good question. What does the other boat manufacturers run with the same power?
Skater in the 150's to 160
DCB ???
Eliminator ??
Spectre ??
HTM??
Others?
This question will open up a BIG can of worms !!!
I am going to get the popcorn :D

Bling Bling
12-15-2005, 10:58 PM
This could for sure open a can of worms!!!! Look at it this way: In the 36 and up class, there's only 3 that can run graet in the 160 range all day. Nor-tech, Skater, and Mti. I was reading some where that the most popular poker run cat in 2005 was the 36 Nor-tech. My 02, the best new boat by far was Rik and Dales 30 flat deck Skater. Skater and the help from Rik from Arneson in design as well as set up was silly. And for what it is, it flat gets it. But the best thing I seen in 2005 was the speed team CRC did with there Mti. Super cat motors and 160 plus, that about sums it up. A 32 Spectre, can't beat the bang for the buck. Can a 30 Spectre run with a 30 Skater or a 32 Spectre run with a 32 Skater, I'm thinking not.
Up and coming super star to watch for, DOUG WRIGHT cats. Best lake Havasu hot rod cat, 29 DCB single 1600hp Brummett turbo motor, 1550 Hubber, hook to a 6 drive. One of you ballers need to build that thing. :D

motion
12-15-2005, 11:04 PM
I think all of the east coast tunnel mfg make a good product, however the question of $ and performance is fair. if the two offerings have identical power the skater will perform better every were, assuming the two boats are the same size. now with inboard power it is much easier to add horsepower to an inferior hull and make the boat faster and likely perform better. now with outboards it is much more difficult to get significant power gains, that really add up to much on the bottom line, speed . use havacig boat as an example 28 skater 300x vs 30 spectre 300x . lake havasu saturday crap water dam to channelmy money says the best driver wins. guaranteed the skater is faster but it is hard to replace the cubic feet of the spectre in the rough. secondly, us lake guys don't even know what rough is. actually i changed my mind the best driver does not win, just the one with the least to lose and no respect for the passengers in their boat. how much time do you really spend doing this? lets face the truth most all big cats work good in the rough ( size does matter ) . the hard part is to set your big cat up to run fast in the glass water. now take those same two boats and run from the mouth of the river to topack, that skater will take a set and run 110mph all the way there without a hint of a porpose. the spectre on the other hand will be begging for some boat wake to try and loosen it up,praying for a head wind to help pack some air and bounce its way there at maybe 90mph? the only good thing about that is that havacig will have already eaten lunch and the spectre can take his parking space. so it really depends on how you use the boat and what you can afford to spend. the saying you get what you pay for is true. be yourown judge go for a ride in both and what i just told you will make all the sense in the world. have fun shopping

andy01
12-16-2005, 07:51 AM
The two boats are very different, they may look very simler but are very different.
In looking at them they appear to be almost the same size, but the 28 Skater is a much smaller boat then the 30 Spectre. The 30 is a taller longer boat. No the 28 cannot be beat for speed. Peter from Skater said it himself " the 28 is a great family lake boat, most will run 112-114 all day long. If you want to run the high numbers over 120 you need to jack the motors up and hang them off the back. If you do that you can run north of 120" That's what he told HavasuCig at the open house. In looking at the 28 Skater on the trailer it is much shorter in the gun wall then my 30. When you walk up on a 28 it doesn't have that "big boat" look. A 28 Skater in my eyes has very dated interior, and I all but hate the box the steering wheel sticks out of. But the seats where very comfy. The 30 Spectre recieved a interior make over and was redesigned for last year. When sitting in the 28 Skater you sit much higher, further out of the boat. That's how it felt to me. I don't think there is a great difference in the way they are rigged, I haven't found anything on my 30 that made me raise eye browle. Don't get me wrong both boats are very nice when used in thier purpose. Yes my 30 hops on flat water, in Havasu I had to run my tab to 85 mph in able to get the boat to take a flat set. Where HavasuCig can just lay the sticks down on Havasu and run 120 plus I am going to run my tab, lift it at 85 and watch my GPS run to maybe 107 ish. I don't know how fast my boat will run. I have been told 106-108. When I ran the boat in flat water in the ocean it ran 103 but the motors were not broke in yet so it wouldn't rev. When we ran Havasu it ran 100 with full tanks, four adults and two coolers. Again it only had 5 hours on it so who knows how fast it will go now. I can say for my boating needs it wouldn't matter if it went 110 or 130, I couldn't use it if I wanted to. I have put 30 ocean hours on my boat, that's why I say I couldn't use it anyway. Most of my time is between 60 and 80. It runs great in the big water, the weekend of the poker run last year we ran 100 (pinned sticks) from about sand point to the channel with open drink in every cup holder. I don't know that I agree with the Skater being a superior boat to the Spectre, I believe they are layed up the same. No Jay doesn't go out there and hand lay up every boat, but then again he doesn't get $225,000-$250,000 for a 30 either. Thats what Skater told me last year when I called them about the new 30, they said it will work great with 300's and would love to build one and it would only cost me about 225-250. I couldn't hang the phone up fast enough. Now in the bigger boats Skater cannot be touched. All of the stuff I read, old power boat reviews, old hot boat articles and every thing I could find here and OSO said the same thing. If you want a lake rocket go buy a 28 Skater, if you want a rough water boat go buy a 30 Spectre. Both boats in my mind are very very nice boats, I loved Chris and Jodys 28 Skater when I sat in it and looked it over, if I was running the river more the ocean I may have bought a 28 Skater over my 30 Spectre. It all depends on what you want and need out of a boat.
Remeber this post is only my take on what I found when boat shopping.
Andy

Havasu Cig
12-16-2005, 09:09 AM
Good post Andy, you should really think about putting some jack plates on your 30 if the motors are on the transom now. Not only did I pick up speed but the boat rides very level now, and I never need to use tab anymore. I would think they would have a similar effect on your hull??
If you look at the video I posted a couple of weeks ago and compare it to other videos of 28's running without jack plates you can see mine is very level while the others are very bow high. You can feel the difference in the boat as well...
Now back to the topic at hand. :cool:

Dave C
12-16-2005, 09:09 AM
I vote 28' lake rocket ;)

motion
12-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Excellent information Andy, no one boat does it all, no matter what you pay. better get two, and a pontoon.

TCHB
12-16-2005, 03:48 PM
You bring up some good points on both boats. It sounds like a jack plate set back would help both boats or any outboard set up??

spectras only
12-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Were doing 94.5 in 2-3 foot chop here overtaking a 35 Fountain . Handled it pretty good .30 Spectre with 300's .Top speed was 107 so far .
http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/Mvi_1149.avi
Boat is almost boring in flat water :sleeping: :D

ROZ
12-16-2005, 05:22 PM
Best lake Havasu hot rod cat, 29 DCB single 1600hp Brummett turbo motor, 1550 Hubber, hook to a 6 drive. One of you ballers need to build that thing. :D
That's what they say :D

Charley
12-17-2005, 08:41 PM
The 30' Spectre, 28' Skater and 30' AMT all do a pretty good job for what they are, no question about that. Each have something better than the other.... AMT is the prettiest of the 3, Skater is the fastest of the 3, Spectre is the best value of the 3 and argueably the best rough water boat of the 3.... If it were me wanting to build a whacker boat for myself and I was on a skater budget I wouldn't think twice about spending the extra bucks to have the new Doug Wright 32 w/300x's....110-115mph, gorgeous, big water boat and ABSOLUTELY BADASS!!!!

TCHB
12-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Ok now how would a 29 DCB fit into the mix??

Charley
12-21-2005, 08:27 AM
Honesty it's kind of a different animal. It has a lot more room inside, including alot of storage under the bow that can easily be turned into a queen sized bed. I has alot of Bling that the others don't, if that stuff matters to you. It has absolutely no porpoise and since it's has an elevated center Pod it turns very well, and most importantly, especially at higher speeds. I think it is more of an inboard boat than the other 3, In fact the 30' AMT and the 28 Skater wont accomodate inboards to the best of my knowledge. The 30' spectre with inboards works but you will have a sizeable porpoise window. If you mainly boat on Havasu, like to hang out on the boat, eat, party whatever, IMHO it will be all around the best choice of the 4. The 29 will run 110-115 mph with 525's, 120-125 mph with Vipers and 135-140 mph with 800's all with absolutely no porpoise. Since it is the only boat of the 4 with a center pod it will not handle as big of water as the other 3, but will certainly handle what Havasu can dish out on any given day at a pretty good pace. The base model with (2) 496 HO's starts around 180k and will run 100mph+ and comes very well equipped, even stock. I know a few 1 year old 525 boats have sold in that range too.... just something to consider.....good luck

Havasu Cig
12-21-2005, 09:17 AM
I believe there was one 28 Skater built with an inboard, and the fastest one that I have heard of with O/B power actually has a cabin and is running in the 126+ range. My skater has alot of storage in the gunwales unlike the west coast boats I have had but access under the deck is limited because in stock configuration it has foot rest built into the inner liner.
It does have alot of space under the deck though once you get under there. The AMT that Tony rigged they actually cut out the area on the inner liner where the foot rest were and came out with alot of area under the deck. I know Skater will do whatever you want even though Peter will recommend not doing a cabin ect...
It all depends on what you want. I wanted something that was fast and fun to drive and I believe the Skater is the best boat for me. If i wanted something to hang out on 90% of the day I would take my pontoon boat all day long or a deck boat.

andy01
12-21-2005, 03:52 PM
Good post Andy, you should really think about putting some jack plates on your 30 if the motors are on the transom now. Not only did I pick up speed but the boat rides very level now, and I never need to use tab anymore. I would think they would have a similar effect on your hull??
If you look at the video I posted a couple of weeks ago and compare it to other videos of 28's running without jack plates you can see mine is very level while the others are very bow high. You can feel the difference in the boat as well...
Now back to the topic at hand. :cool:
I have jack plates and have only moved the motors up once. The problem is half the time in the ocean you are flying anyway. You know that, but I would like to get them up a bit higher and think I can without changing my pick ups. Sooner or later it is going to GT before season starts. I am going to have him check out the prop shaft to the bottom of the boat and do a full detail. I would like to get a little more speed out of it for that once or twice a year river trip.
I watched your video (like 8 times) and thought "man I need to take my boat to the river again". Mine won't run 117 but hell if I could run 80 for more then 200 feet I would be happy. You know on the right days you can get a nice 10 mile or so run right around 80 in my boat, but more days then not you can only run 80 or faster for very short spurts before you are off the sticks and on the next big roller.
Andy

andy01
12-21-2005, 03:57 PM
I believe there was one 28 Skater built with an inboard, and the fastest one that I have heard of with O/B power actually has a cabin and is running in the 126+ range. My skater has alot of storage in the gunwales unlike the west coast boats I have had but access under the deck is limited because in stock configuration it has foot rest built into the inner liner.
It does have alot of space under the deck though once you get under there. The AMT that Tony rigged they actually cut out the area on the inner liner where the foot rest were and came out with alot of area under the deck. I know Skater will do whatever you want even though Peter will recommend not doing a cabin ect...
It all depends on what you want. I wanted something that was fast and fun to drive and I believe the Skater is the best boat for me. If i wanted something to hang out on 90% of the day I would take my pontoon boat all day long or a deck boat.
Very true, Skater will build a 28 with a cabin. I don't know where I read it or heard it but I heard of one that was built. Under the deck in my 30' is huge. I could almost stand up under the deck, I was really surprised. Yes it took me 10 minutes to work my way under there but once I was there I was surprised at how much room there was. Plus it was hotter then hell under there with no real opening and that was home. I wouldn't want a cabin either but for some people it is a must have. Like if your kid makes a mess of himself at the sandbar momma can take him down to the cabin and clean him up....... That was Parker I believe......... ah Charley.... :rollside: If I had a kid, by the end of the weekend his ass would be burned from being changed in the sun all weekend.........
Andy

Charley
12-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Very true, Skater will build a 28 with a cabin. I don't know where I read it or heard it but I heard of one that was built. Under the deck in my 30' is huge. I could almost stand up under the deck, I was really surprised. Yes it took me 10 minutes to work my way under there but once I was there I was surprised at how much room there was. Plus it was hotter then hell under there with no real opening and that was home. I wouldn't want a cabin either but for some people it is a must have. Like if your kid makes a mess of himself at the sandbar momma can take him down to the cabin and clean him up....... That was Parker I believe......... ah Charley.... :rollside: If I had a kid, by the end of the weekend his ass would be burned from being changed in the sun all weekend.........
Andy
Try 3 kids! good thing I'm getting 5 bucket seats ;)
I agree with Havasu Cig, it boils down to what you want out of your boat, what you are willing to spend, as well as what you hope to get back from the boat, whether it be resale value, speed, handling, ammenities or just plain ole good times. Whatever the choice make sure your having phun

Havasu Hangin'
12-22-2005, 06:35 AM
I could almost stand up under the deck, I was really surprised....
Heck...you probably could almost stand up in the glovebox of my car, too.
:cry:

TCHB
12-28-2005, 10:53 AM
How about the 26ft DCB for sale on the boards. Is there a big diff in the ride due to the 3 ft in size???

Havasu Cig
12-28-2005, 02:59 PM
I have owned both and there is no comparison between a 26 DCB and a 28 Skater. The Skater has Harder acceleration, more top speed, and will handle any kind of water better.

mbrown2
12-28-2005, 04:53 PM
How about the 26ft DCB for sale on the boards. Is there a big diff in the ride due to the 3 ft in size???
If you are referring to the referring to the 26 DCB versus 29 DCB...might ask UJ....however, he has not owned outboard models....Also, Kilr has ridden in a 26 and 29 (i think).
Either way, I don't see the ride diff making up the 120-130K in price....the 26 will pretty much handle anything Havasu can throw at it as the 29 can.....The 26 is going to be faster with the same power as well.

Charley
12-29-2005, 11:58 AM
I have owned both and there is no comparison between a 26 DCB and a 28 Skater. The Skater has Harder acceleration, more top speed, and will handle any kind of water better.
Chris, have you been in a 29 yet?

Havasu Cig
12-31-2005, 09:39 AM
Nope, but I have heard good things about it. Tony said he had talked to Bob Teague he had very good things to say about it. I don't think it would be a good O/B platform though. I would take one with some nice N/A motors in the 625 to 750 range and I think it would be a nice lake boat.
I can only compare my 26's with my Skater and IMO they are in a different class.

Charley
12-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Nope, but I have heard good things about it. Tony said he had talked to Bob Teague he had very good things to say about it. I don't think it would be a good O/B platform though. I would take one with some nice N/A motors in the 625 to 750 range and I think it would be a nice lake boat.
I can only compare my 26's with my Skater and IMO they are in a different class.
I wouldnt disagree with either statement, the numbers speak for themselves... I have driven Bryans 26 109mph...my guess is that a bagged mach26 with bone minimum interior and 300x's would run right at 120 too, but the 28 will always have the advantage in bigger water.... If you are interested when my boats done I would gladly take you for a spin ;) in exchange for the same :D

Havasu Cig
12-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Sounds like a plan, but I think you might be suprised by the Skater compared to the 26 you drove.
My boat has a full interior, was almost full of gas and had a full cooler the day it ran 117 and that was on glass water in a fairly short distance. No way does a Mach 26 get near that # even with no interior and almost empty on fuel, not with O/B's.
My 26 with O/B's felt sluggish compared to the acceleration of the Skater and had to work for the extra couple miles an hour. It also made a noticable difference if I was running into a head wind with the DCB where as with the Skater it does not matter. The DCB needed that extra lift to get the last couple miles an hour out of it.
I think the bottom on the Skater is superior, and even Dave himself said he does not build DCB's with the sharp edges on the bottom like Skater because it is to hard to do. Vacuum bagged epoxy resins, Kevlar reinforced bulkheads, etc... I really don't think they are comparable. My DCB's were good boats, but the 28 Skater was always one of my favorites and I am glad to have one in the Garage...

Boatlesss
01-02-2006, 11:21 AM
I think the bottom on the Skater is superior, and even Dave himself said he does not build DCB's with the sharp edges on the bottom like Skater because it is to hard to do. Vacuum bagged epoxy resins, Kevlar reinforced bulkheads, etc... I really don't think they are comparable. My DCB's were good boats, but the 28 Skater was always one of my favorites and I am glad to have one in the Garage...
I think your right! Look at the speeds the 29 DCB gets with twin 300's and it does not match the speed of the first generation 32' Skater of 112 mph with interior.
The 28' Skater is a great boat, fast and nimble.
Inboard power is off as well with the DCB as the 30' Skater seems WAY WAY faster with less power than a DCB 29' which is a smaller boat.

Charley
01-02-2006, 12:19 PM
I think your right! Look at the speeds the 29 DCB gets with twin 300's and it does not match the speed of the first generation 32' Skater of 112 mph with interior.
:argue:
straight off the skater website re 32 pleasure
2 x Mercury 300 104-107 mph not 112
3 x Mercury 300 118-122 mph
Speeds are only estimates. Your performance may vary due to water conditions, fuel and passenger load and other factors.
I just heard through the grapevine that the triple 300 F-29 saw 121 mph... In my opinion a pretty good number
The F- 29 is much more like the 32 than it is the 28, #1 it is a true inboard boat and performs much better as an inboard than in it's OB version...
so you take the stats from the skater sight again on the 32 inboard
Skater 32/ 2 X Sterling HP825 Dry Sump Six stern drives 145-150 mph
DCB 29/ 2 x 900sc Dry Sump Six stern drives PBM got 155 mph from it
SKater 32/ 2 X Mercury HP500EFI Bravo One stern drives 102-106 mph
DCB 29/ 2 x 525 Bravo One stern drives 114 mph
I'm not saying that DCB is faster or even as fast as a skater, but it's also not vaccume bagged, has some real interior under the bow, most have stereos and plenty of other weighty bling as they run these #'s....and has something that the 28 skater and 32 skater dont have.... a level, porpoise free ride from 0 - 120 mph :D ....I am not taking anything away from one of the best builders in the industry (Douglass) but if I have to throw a little more HP into a porpoise free ride that's what I'm doing

Charley
01-02-2006, 12:21 PM
by the way with everything skater does so right..... why can't they make a model that doesn't porpoise? :crossx: :D

DCBDaytona
01-02-2006, 01:27 PM
My dad has an F-29 Open Bow with twin 300x's. It runs in the low 90's consistently, with a top speed of 97mph. Dave claims to have run it to 99, which i think is stretching it...but most likely possible. He's had two Mach 26's before, one with 300PMs and one with 300x's. The 26's are definately faster, but the ride of the 29 over the nasty weekend Havasu water is much better. We definately had some scary times in the 26's :220v:

Boatmaster
01-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Sounds like a plan, but I think you might be suprised by the Skater compared to the 26 you drove.
My boat has a full interior, was almost full of gas and had a full cooler the day it ran 117 and that was on glass water in a fairly short distance. No way does a Mach 26 get near that # even with no interior and almost empty on fuel, not with O/B's.
My 26 with O/B's felt sluggish compared to the acceleration of the Skater and had to work for the extra couple miles an hour. It also made a noticable difference if I was running into a head wind with the DCB where as with the Skater it does not matter. The DCB needed that extra lift to get the last couple miles an hour out of it.
No question about it a Skater is a great boat, but mainly for one thing all out speed! One being better than the other is very hard to say because they a very different boats. I have owned both and enjoy my F26 leaps and bounds over my 28 Skater. Both very fun boats to drive and the Skater is better in ugly rough water, but the F26 meets my lake and family needs MUCH better hands down. Just my .02 but every buyer needs to make up their own mind by going for a ride in something before they buy.

eastcoastflatdeck
01-02-2006, 02:19 PM
skater 30 twin 750 hp sterlings-- quote from powerboat magazine january2006 page 46 " the recall on the Auto Meter Pro Comp Marine GPS speedometer showed 153 mph. And theres some left in it because that was only at 6,200 rpm, and the motors are good to 7,000.
the above is a better comparison of boats rather than what was being compared here:
Skater 32/ 2 X Sterling HP825 Dry Sump Six stern drives 145-150 mph
SKater 32/ 2 X Mercury HP500EFI Bravo One stern drives 102-106 mph
DCB 29/ 2 x 525 Bravo One stern drives 114 mph

Charley
01-02-2006, 05:37 PM
skater 30 twin 750 hp sterlings-- quote from powerboat magazine january2006 page 46 " the recall on the Auto Meter Pro Comp Marine GPS speedometer showed 153 mph.
No doubt a very good #, unfortunately without arnesons and the same motors on the DCB it's hard to make that comparison. Rumour has it that not everybody on the test driving team was in love with the 30' flatdeck and the way it handled... only a rumour but from a reasonably reliable source. Like Boatmaster stated it takes more than all out speed to make it the best choice for the masses... I'm not saying the F-29 or F-26 are the best choice for everyone either....just seems like they get disrespected lately, especially whenever compared to an east coast boat.
. And theres some left in it because that was only at 6,200 rpm, and the motors are good to 7,000.
hmmm that's just a ridiculous assumption..... just because the boat hit the wall at 6200 only means to me that they could have propped it differently...nothing more.... if the boat was climbing hard at that time then fine otherwise, run the number.

eastcoastflatdeck
01-02-2006, 07:51 PM
charley,
i just didnt understand why you would be comparing the 32 skater with less power to the dcb 29 with more power and putting up the numbers. just made no sense to me. thats why i put up the 30 skater numbers with less power and compared it to the 29 with more power. and the numbers speak for themselves. the 30 skater ran just about equal, 153 against 155, with much less power in the boat. i never said any boat was better. you were talkin speed, power, and size. so here are some more numbers.

Boatmaster
01-02-2006, 08:19 PM
charley,
i just didnt understand why you would be comparing the 32 skater with less power to the dcb 29 with more power and putting up the numbers. just made no sense to me. thats why i put up the 30 skater numbers with less power and compared it to the 29 with more power. and the numbers speak for themselves. the 30 skater ran just about equal, 153 against 155, with much less power in the boat. i never said any boat was better. you were talkin speed, power, and size. so here are some more numbers.
There is no compairing these two boats. I know both of these boats and the Skater and its specs very well. That Skater is gutted and very very light! I have seen the dyno sheets and lets just say 750hp is very conservative. As for the F29 it was an openbow that tipped the scales at least 2k more than Dale's 30. That Skater is a purpose built heavy hitting Poker Run boat and the the DCB is a great Lake Hot Rod with an open bow that just happened to hit 155mph. It will be very interesting to see what the first 30 Skater with V10s and bravos runs. Point that keeps getting missed here is that a DCB and a Skater are not comparable boats. Only thing that is the same is they are both very fun boats to drive for two different people.

Charley
01-03-2006, 06:58 AM
charley,
Ok well I guess if the " faster is better " arguement was my agenda I would throw out that Team CRC, in a 39' MTI and #6 drives ran uhhhhhh 162 mph kilo pass, with I believe about the same exact motors(mercury 750hp N/A supercat motors) as in that lil 30...that only ran 153.... so, 9 foot more boat, same power 9mph faster.... I think that would be a more devastating blow "if " ... " faster is better " was my arguement.
It was not my intended arguement however, It's a little unfair comparing apples to oranges, A 28' skater is not a 29' DCB is not a 32' skater etc... just like the 39' Team CRC race boat should not be compared to a 30' Poker run skater. They are 2 different boat's with 2 different porpoises (pun fully intended) :D
There is no compairing these two boats. I know both of these boats and the Skater and its specs very well. That Skater is gutted and very very light! I have seen the dyno sheets and lets just say 750hp is very conservative. As for the F29 it was an openbow that tipped the scales at least 2k more than Dale's 30. That Skater is a purpose built heavy hitting Poker Run boat and the the DCB is a great Lake Hot Rod with an open bow that just happened to hit 155mph. It will be very interesting to see what the first 30 Skater with V10s and bravos runs. Point that keeps getting missed here is that a DCB and a Skater are not comparable boats. Only thing that is the same is they are both very fun boats to drive for two different people.
Drew, I'm really glad that you get it here, and are willing to support that mentality with some printed logic, thankfully based on first hand experience with both the boats at hand. The east coast brethren, in normal fashion, once again seem to want to pick apart a quality west coast boat, the F29 based on one point of view. Once again, I never said the F29 was the fastest boat around, only trying to give it the huge props it deserves for being a very efficient, fast, stable running bottom, with great style, superb fit and finish that offers amenities that would make anyone's Day on the lake a good one.

Havasu Cig
01-03-2006, 09:32 AM
Charley,
Once again I have to disagree with you when you say a DCB has a real interior under the bow. My Cigarette had a real interior under the bow, non of the DCB cats do. My Skater has just as much room in the cockpit as my DCB's and if you call a pad under the deck an interior I think that is stretching it. Like I stated above Skater will actually build you a cabin if you want one, and there is actually room for it because of the high freeboard, where in the DCB (especially the canopied version) there is not.
As far as porpoise is concerned the only DCB that does not is the 29 (from what I have heard). Both my 26's porpoised and I had two different bottoms. The reason you get porpoise in a Skater is because of the large tunnel. I will take a little porpoise (which goes away with tab or throttle) and get substantially more speed and better rough water capability.
As far as comparing the two, I think Boatmaster said it best when he said they really are not comparable. If you are to compare the two though I think the 28 Skater and the 29 DCB are the most comparable in size, along with the new 30 that Skater is building. The 32 Skater is a much bigger boat than the 29 as is probably closer to the 34 DCB than the 29. My 26 DCB's were much smaller boats than my 28 in both freeboard and length.
In my opinion it all goes back to build quality. I think DCB builds a good boat, but I think Skater is on a different level when it comes to hull construction. You want to talk about DCB not bagging their boats, which kind of irks me that Dave told me they were bagging there boats when the 29 first came out, That is part of the quality differences between the two. Take that into account along with the materials used and the tolerences that Skater builds it's hulls to and there is a big difference. I still want to know what you think about Dave saying the reason he does not build his boats with the sharpness to the edges on the bottom because of difficulty?
Your point about what if DCB bagged their hulls is kind of a non issue IMO because they don't. My.02

Havasu Cig
01-03-2006, 09:35 AM
BTW Charley, I am not picking apart any west coast built boats but the fact is that the two east coast built ones I have owned have been better boats.

TCHB
01-03-2006, 09:52 AM
All of you have made some really good points and I have another question.
Does vac bag make much stronger???? If it does how come DCB is not using this process to build its boats.

Boatlesss
01-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Ok well I guess if the " faster is better " arguement was my agenda I would throw out that Team CRC, in a 39' MTI and #6 drives ran uhhhhhh 162 mph kilo pass, with I believe about the same exact motors(mercury 750hp N/A supercat motors) as in that lil 30...that only ran 153.... so, 9 foot more boat, same power 9mph faster.... I think that would be a more devastating blow "if " ... " faster is better " was my arguement.
It was not my intended arguement however, It's a little unfair comparing apples to oranges, A 28' skater is not a 29' DCB is not a 32' skater etc... just like the 39' Team CRC race boat should not be compared to a 30' Poker run skater. They are 2 different boat's with 2 different porpoises (pun fully intended) :D
I guess this is the problem with magazines and interpretations. Who says the 30' Skater can only go 153? Maybe that's just all they told the magazine remember the insurance people read them too.
Also, it has a full interior. Nothing stripped down, taken out or such. If it is lighter that should not be taken as a negative rather a positive to the people who built it.
The 30’ Skater is longer and wider than the 29’ DCB and the motors are not supercharged like on the ones that DCB uses from Teague. Guarantee the Teague engines make way more torque than the engines the Skater has.
The 29 DCB also had 900 SC engines which were said to be the racing version which are probably closer to 1,000 hp ea. Way more than the Skater.

DCBDaytona
01-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Here's my $.02. I've come to have a different opinion of these West Coast Custom boats...When I would see a new 26 at Havasu my jaw would drop, and the same with the 29 nowadays. Now, no DCB does this to me, and I'm only excited to see Skaters, MTIs and the like. In my opinion, if your buying in the 29-32 range, Skater is the way to go. Yes, the 29 is a beautiful boat...and I used to be slightly biased. But once you ride in a Skater/MTI, you'll never go back to the West Coast boats.
A prime example of this is my pops. He's owned the 24 Extreme DCB, Mach 26 w/ 300PMs, Mach 26 w/ 300x's, and now an F-29 w/ 300x's. He's knows the only step up from DCB is Skater, and that's what he'll end up with. He and I both laugh when people rationalize buying a West Coast Cat for the interior under the bow...It truly is useless. Like I said...Just my $.02.

Charley
01-03-2006, 01:32 PM
I guess this is the problem with magazines and interpretations. Who says the 30' Skater can only go 153? Maybe that's just all they told the magazine remember the insurance people read them too.
Also, it has a full interior. Nothing stripped down, taken out or such. If it is lighter that should not be taken as a negative rather a positive to the people who built it.
The 30’ Skater is longer and wider than the 29’ DCB and the motors are not supercharged like on the ones that DCB uses from Teague. Guarantee the Teague engines make way more torque than the engines the Skater has.
The 29 DCB also had 900 SC engines which were said to be the racing version which are probably closer to 1,000 hp ea. Way more than the Skater.
The point is that until that 30' skater has run 154 I think it's ridiculous to say it should go faster than 153 cause there were 700 rpm's left till redline....., besides what does that have to do with my point about the MTI with the same power, being 9 feet longer and running 9mph faster in a KILO run mind you? If faster is better the MTI is obviously spanking skater

Havasu Hangin'
01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
I fixed the thread title for you bench racers...

KROOZIN
01-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Skater blueprints the bottom of every boat they build (direct from Peter's mouth)
From my experience: The porpoise is only when the tunnel starts to pack air, during it's transition from plow to Skater, I've never felt a porpoise over 90mph. The only time my Skater porpoises is when I try to hold it right at 70mph. If I slow down or speed up, it goes away...regardless of the conditions. That's right when the boat goes from awkward feeling to feeling like it should. They even told me not to tow over 70mph because the trailer will start to feel light....(I had to laugh at that one)
Skater is a true cat with no center pod, intended for racing in rough conditions and built to last. That's always been Skater's priority. Look at old race boats and the quality of the build will show through. :D
Hell, they're all nice...just trying to raise my post count :p

Charley
01-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Most of my comments in this thread have pertained to the F-29... with that said here are my responses Chris...
Once again I have to disagree with you when you say a DCB has a real interior under the bow. My Cigarette had a real interior under the bow, non of the DCB cats do.
Cmon chris, there is no under 30' performance cat that will have anywhere near the cabin of your Cig..and once again instead of just giving a little credit to DCB for having something standard that Skater doesnt offer standard in thiers...you would rather Rag
As far as porpoise is concerned the only DCB that does not is the 29
Never Implied any DCB model other than the 29 was porpoise free ... we both know most Cats porpoise, in fact all Skaters Do, some bottoms more than others, and I half expect my 32 will have some in it as well... I pray it does not, but I am realistic.
As far as comparing the two, I think Boatmaster said it best when he said they really are not comparable.
It's funny that this your comment about a guy who has owned both a DCB26 and a Skater28 and this is actually what he said:
No question about it a Skater is a great boat, but mainly for one thing all out speed! One being better than the other is very hard to say because they a very different boats. I have owned both and enjoy my F26 leaps and bounds over my 28 Skater. Both very fun boats to drive and the Skater is better in ugly rough water, but the F26 meets my lake and family needs MUCH better hands down. Just my .02 but every buyer needs to make up their own mind by going for a ride in something before they buy.
In my opinion it all goes back to build quality. I think DCB builds a good boat, but I think Skater is on a different level when it comes to hull construction.
They are most definitely laying up thier boats lighter and stronger through vaccume bagging... no doubt in my mind if lamination is the only reason you buy a boat(which is ridiculous) then the skater is assuredly lighter and argueably stronger.
Dave told me they were bagging there boats when the 29 first came out,
I can only speculate as to what he said and what you heard, but im guessing he was referring to the bulkheads he currently uses which are a vaccume bagged balsa core sheet that he has struck a deal with a manufacturer to make to his specs.... If he mislead you to think he was vaccume bagging his boats, he is not.... he has considered it, but does not want to tool up until he feels his clientel is willing to spend the extra money for the process and he can do it at his quality standards.
I still want to know what you think about Dave saying the reason he does not build his boats with the sharpness to the edges on the bottom because of difficulty?
I think as an owner of a boat manufacturing facility, he gets to evaluate the cost to do so, against the potential reward and decide if it's worth the effort in his boats..Kind of like asking Peter why Skater doesn't post cure in thier bagging process?? It would be an improvement over thier current process but Mr hedlin may not be able to justify the additional expense to do it that way.

Charley
01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
From my experience: The porpoise is only when the tunnel starts to pack air, during it's transition from plow to Skater, I've never felt a porpoise over 90mph. The only time my Skater porpoises is when I try to hold it right at 70mph. If I slow down or speed up, it goes away..
This epitomizes my point on why a non porpoising boat holds a small advantage over one that does.... as a Lake boater, I boat down through the Topock gorge regularly on my runs to Havasu and back.... in my Mach 26 I was constantly trying to stay out of my porpoise range 7mph worth 62-69mph .... It really wasn't a big deal to just drive with a porpoise, it was just annoying! But I found myself letting that feeling dictate my speed rather than the conditions at hand...

KROOZIN
01-03-2006, 02:26 PM
This epitomizes my point on why a non porpoising boat holds a small advantage over one that does.... as a Lake boater, I boat down through the Topock gorge regularly on my runs to Havasu and back.... in my Mach 26 I was constantly trying to stay out of my porpoise range 7mph worth 62-69mph .... It really wasn't a big deal to just drive with a porpoise, it was just annoying! But I found myself letting that feeling dictate my speed rather than the conditions at hand...
Yep, mine is certainly too big for that gorge. I still go up there but not fast....it just takes too damn long to slow down. My boat is fun for cruising at 100+, and Havasu doesn't fit that speed range. Lake Mead is where I plan on boating more often now (when on West coast). But then again mine's a widened 36'.
I put in a big back seat, stereo, and a swim step but I certainly wouldn't call it a lake boat. Well, maybe Lake Michigan :cool:

Jordy
01-03-2006, 02:31 PM
If he mislead you to think he was vaccume bagging his boats, he is not.... he has considered it, but does not want to tool up until he feels his clientel is willing to spend the extra money for the process and he can do it at his quality standards.
Since when has extra money been an issue with any Kool-aid cheerleader??? Figure that would be standard, right up there with the billet cigarette lighter. :D :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
01-03-2006, 02:50 PM
There...I fixed the title again.

MR HARLEY
01-03-2006, 02:52 PM
There...I fixed the title again.
That is just wrong :D

Boatmaster
01-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I have been all through that 30 Skater and if that is your idea of a full interior, we have two very different views on the word full. Don't get me wrong it looks great, just not like the interior of a DCB. Very bear bones in my mind.

Charley
01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
That is just wrong :D
he is just mad because a one legged japanese woman can out-drive him :D
Actually it made me laugh too lol!

Jordy
01-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Very bear bones in my mind.
They killed a bear??? What will those Skater guys think of next? Are bear bones lighter than carbon fiber? What did they do with the bones exactly? Now I'm intrigued. :D :D :D

Charley
01-03-2006, 03:24 PM
They killed a bear??? What will those Skater guys think of next? Are bear bones lighter than carbon fiber? What did they do with the bones exactly? Now I'm intrigued. :D :D :D
Dont worry spectre boy, if skater uses bear bones on it's interiors, then you probably own a splash of bear bones
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jordy
01-03-2006, 03:26 PM
Dont worry spectre boy, if skater uses bear bones on it's interiors, then you probably own a splash of bear bones
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Perhaps that's what they used to make the center pod on my boat. Wait, my boat doesn't have cat training wheels. What was I thinking??? :D :D :D

Charley
01-03-2006, 03:44 PM
training wheel...is that what they call that ingeneous little piece of fiberglass that stops my boat from bobbing it's head up and down like a deprived crack ho?

Charley
01-03-2006, 03:45 PM
wait I dont have a boat NM

Jordy
01-03-2006, 03:49 PM
It's ok Charley, we can pretend like you do. We know what you'd have, other than the pontoon (does it have training wheels?), or at least I think we can place an educated guess. ;)
Although, this does raise another interesting point here. Toby has a boat. You're in the process of building one. Does that leave Roln20's as the last man standing in the tire kicker club??? :D :D :D
sorry Patrick. ;)

MR HARLEY
01-03-2006, 03:54 PM
training wheel...is that what they call that ingeneous little piece of fiberglass that stops my boat from bobbing it's head up and down like a deprived crack ho?
Im sorry but that is just focking funny :D :D Thanks for the laugh Charley :cool:

Havasu Cig
01-03-2006, 06:07 PM
This was the quote I was reffering to Charley.
I still can't believe you call a pad under a deck that you can't even fully sit up in a cabin. As far as cabins and Skater, I have actually been in a few that have fairly spacious ones. There is a 36 tall deck that DSM sold that is at Havasu a lot that has a cabin. This is a real cabin that you can stand up in with benches and an a sleeping area. You say that Skater does not offer a cabin as standard when the truth is they will build you whatever you want. Every boat is built to order and they will do a lot more than DCB when it comes to custom work. I was talking to peter about the flat decks and he stated that they are built to customer specs. Look at the different ones in the mags and you will notice all the deck variations.
I don't expect you to come on here and admit that Skater builds a better boat because of the position you are in with Dave. Skater has long been the standard in the cat world and they have the wins on the race course and records to back it up. Dave builds a nice lake boat and that is about the extent of it.
Name me one thing that I can't do at the lake in my Skater that I could do in my DCB's (beside go alot faster with the same power)? I have a cooler, the same size cockpit, more storage area, a stereo, a much bigger swim plateform, I guess I need to add the pad under the deck and I will be in business. :)
One more question, if Mike Defrees (sp) thinks so highly of DCB why is he racing an east coast built boat?

Jordy
01-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Dave builds a nice lake boat and that is about the extent of it.
I believe that the term DCLB has been brought up here a time or two. Apparently a salt bath will get you banned from the Kool-aid meetings. :D :D :D

DCBDaytona
01-03-2006, 06:15 PM
IOne more question, if Mike Defrees (sp) thinks so highly of DCB why is he racing an east coast built boat?
Moreover the question is...why does Mike want to sell his DCB?

Havasu Cig
01-03-2006, 06:16 PM
I believe that the term DCLB has been brought around a time or two. Apparently a salt bath will get you banned from the Kool-aid meetings. :D :D :D
Actually I know he does a lot of his speed testing in San Diego harbor, so maybe that counts... Just don't get to close to the breakwater.... :p

Jordy
01-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Actually I know he does a lot of his speed testing in San Diego harbor, so maybe that counts... Just don't get to close to the breakwater.... :p
Seems to me that Trident tested that overgrown Sea Doo of theirs for the first time in San Diego Harbor as well. That's gotta count for something. Hmm... :idea: :D
Sorry Wes. Just couldn't resist an opportunity like this one, and in Trident's defense, I hear plans of a Catalina run in the Revolution. :D :D :D

Boatlesss
01-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I have been all through that 30 Skater and if that is your idea of a full interior, we have two very different views on the word full. Don't get me wrong it looks great, just not like the interior of a DCB. Very bear bones in my mind.
Other than the side panels it has a "Full Skater Interior" I don't know what you were expecting to see but that is how they are.
A DCB interior is not a Skater interior and vice versa.

Havasu Cig
01-03-2006, 06:37 PM
Other than the side panels it has a "Full Skater Interior" I don't know what you were expecting to see but that is how they are.
A DCB interior is not a Skater interior and vice versa.
I don't know what the difference is either and I have owned 3 DCB's. It has two front seats, a back bench, side panels with storage in the gunwales and some carpet. Oh yeah I keep forgetting about the pad AKA cabin... :rollside:

Froggystyle
01-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Seems to me that Trident tested that overgrown Sea Doo of theirs for the first time in San Diego Harbor as well. That's gotta count for something. Hmm... :idea: :D
Sorry Wes. Just couldn't resist an opportunity like this one, and in Trident's defense, I hear plans of a Catalina run in the Revolution. :D :D :D
Anytime bro... anytime.
I just giggle everytime someone mentions how tough sharp edges are to build, and how advanced these balsa-core layups are... :rolleyes:
East coast is crushing the West Coast with both hull design and layup complexity. Currently.

XTRM22
01-04-2006, 11:28 AM
This was the quote I was reffering to Charley.
I still can't believe you call a pad under a deck, that you can't even fully sit up in, a cabin. ?
In Charley's defense here, not only could he sit up underneath the deck of his 29' he could stand up and stroll around down there!!! I got your back on this one Charley! :220v:
CHuck

Charley
01-04-2006, 12:02 PM
In Charley's defense here, not only could he sit up underneath the deck of his 29' he could stand up and stroll around down there!!! I got your back on this one Charley! :220v:
CHuck
and on Chuck's behalf he couldn't catch a football if it was metal and his entire body was a magnet
:p

FASTERDAMITT
01-04-2006, 08:56 PM
East coast is crushing the West Coast with both hull design and layup complexity. Currently.
How can this happen? Oh I forgot. East, Performance, West, Bling. Sorry. :220v:

Charley
01-04-2006, 09:32 PM
How can this happen? Oh I forgot. East, Performance, West, Bling. Sorry. :220v:
I guess since your boat was made in Texas you dont have either :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kilrtoy
01-04-2006, 10:43 PM
I guess since your boat was made in Texas you dont have either :cry: :cry: :cry:
One point for the little guy on the westside.... :idea:

FASTERDAMITT
01-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Texas? Your a few years behind! My new boat's from New York City buddie! Call me a trader. :yuk:

Havasu Cig
01-06-2006, 09:17 AM
Charley, After you posted about CRC I had to look at the final results for OSS and here they are...
OSSVL #4 WILCARD/GENPRO 661 POINTS
OSSV #8 SPIDERMAN 667 POINTS
OSSCO #9 MOJO 668 POINTS
OSSCL #00 MOTLEY CREW 677 POINTS
OSSC #7 TEAM CRC 690 POINTS
OSSX #1 BACARDI SILVER 395 POINTS
Looks like two Skaters and two MTI's so I would say that it is about even as of now as far as what is occuring on the race course, and if you break it down to individual races they seem to go back and forth. Can't wait to see Peter's new 38 aimed at taking back what MTI has gained. You also brought up kilo's as well, and Skater has their fair share. I think Bacardi Silver would be the most impressive with a one way pass of 202 mph in a 36 Skater. As a matter of fact of all their boats only one is currently and MTI (I still am wondering how MTI comes up when we were talking about DCB, but whatever). :cool:
BTW, Here is a good link with some boat and kilo info from the Bacardi team...
http://www.nautiboats.com/Record%20Breaking%20Tour.htm

KROOZIN
01-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Charley, After you posted about CRC I had to look at the final results for OSS and here they are...
OSSVL #4 WILCARD/GENPRO 661 POINTS
OSSV #8 SPIDERMAN 667 POINTS
OSSCO #9 MOJO 668 POINTS
OSSCL #00 MOTLEY CREW 677 POINTS
OSSC #7 TEAM CRC 690 POINTS
OSSX #1 BACARDI SILVER 395 POINTS
Looks like two Skaters and two MTI's so I would say that it is about even as of now as far as what is occuring on the race course, and if you break it down to individual races they seem to go back and forth. Can't wait to see Peter's new 38 aimed at taking back what MTI has gained. You also brought up kilo's as well, and Skater has their fair share. I think Bacardi Silver would be the most impressive with a one way pass of 202 mph in a 36 Skater. As a matter of fact of all their boats only one is currently and MTI (I still am wondering how MTI comes up when we were talking about DCB, but whatever). :cool:
BTW, Here is a good link with some boat and kilo info from the Bacardi team...
http://www.nautiboats.com/Record%20Breaking%20Tour.htm
3 Skaters if ya count Spiderman... :D :D :D

Havasu Cig
01-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Actually bacardi raced their MTI in the OSS series, so I was counting Spider Man. If you ask me though the performance of Spider Man is more amazing than any of the cats. I talked to Scott Conrad during the race season and he said they had just put a 700 pound penalty on them because they were dominating every race, but I guess it did not matter.

KROOZIN
01-06-2006, 10:46 AM
Actually bacardi raced their MTI in the OSS series, so I was counting Spider Man. If you ask me though the performance of Spider Man is more amazing than any of the cats. I talked to Scott Conrad during the race season and he said they had just put a 700 pound penalty on them because they were dominating every race, but I guess it did not matter.
I was thinking the 46' Skater was the OSSX winner.
I can't wait to see the new Skater V-bottom on the water.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595IMG_0110_JPGa.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595IMG_0109_JPGa.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595IMG_0106_JPGa.jpg

andy01
01-06-2006, 12:49 PM
I was thinking the 46' Skater was the OSSX winner.
I can't wait to see the new Skater V-bottom on the water.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595IMG_0110_JPGa.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595IMG_0109_JPGa.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595IMG_0106_JPGa.jpg
WOW that looks pretty damn nice for a v-bottom. What size is the new V? 38?
Andy

KROOZIN
01-06-2006, 01:15 PM
Andy,
Pictured below is the first one they made and it's a 399....they built it in conjuction with Baja, then the deal went south. So, this white one is the only one like it. The rest will be like the new flat deck....I assume they're still a 39'9"
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2595sv399.jpg
and here's a new Cigarette built by Skater.....does that make it a Skaterette or a Cigarater?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2595cig1_Small_.jpg

XtrmWakeborder
01-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Andy,
Pictured below is the first one they made and it's a 399....they built it in conjuction with Baja, then the deal went south. So, this white one is the only one like it. The rest will be like the new flat deck....I assume they're still a 39'9"
and here's a new Cigarette built by Skater.....does that make it a Skaterette or a Cigarater?
Now why are you over there so much....? new boat being built? :idea:

andy01
01-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Andy,
Man I really like the looks of that flat deck, that would probably make a real nice Catalina runner.......
Andy

Havasu Cig
01-07-2006, 09:09 AM
Kroozin, I think you are right about the 46, so that does make three Skaters.
Is the V above the new one that Scott Conrad had built? He said that he had one built that wen't directly to the set of the new Miami Vice movie. He said it had some nice paint on it, but I have not seen a picture yet.

Charley
01-07-2006, 01:19 PM
(I still am wondering how MTI comes up when we were talking about DCB, but whatever). :cool:
Chris, with all due respect, try looking at the context my statements were made in before taking a jab at me and my comments. I was Responding to a comparison made by ECFD about the 30' flat deck vs the 29DCB and my comments were in reference to how if flat out speed was the only determination on how a boat qualifies as a good boat then how about the team CRC KILO run of a 39 MTI with 750 hp na motors(same power as the 30' flatdeck skater ecfd was speaking about) running 9mph faster and being 9 feet longer. I felt my point was relevant....still do
here are the posts
charley,

KROOZIN
01-07-2006, 04:38 PM
Kroozin, I think you are right about the 46, so that does make three Skaters.
Is the V above the new one that Scott Conrad had built? He said that he had one built that wen't directly to the set of the new Miami Vice movie. He said it had some nice paint on it, but I have not seen a picture yet.
Yes, I believe it is Conrad's....I didn't see it in person...I just know some people that know some people who might know some people :rollside:
(j/k....I saw the pics on OSO) :D
I can't wait to see Miami Vice, it should be a cool movie.