PDA

View Full Version : Water in #1 Cyl?? :( New 460

castone001
05-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Folks,
fired up the newly rebuilt 460. Seemed to run a little rough at low RPM and at idle. Just wanted to break in the cam.
Well long story short, pulled the #1 plug and got water coming out :( What gives. All the other cyls are fine and firing perfect.
gonna pull the intake and take a look but thought I would ask here!

460 jus getn it
05-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Folks,
fired up the newly rebuilt 460. Seemed to run a little rough at low RPM and at idle. Just wanted to break in the cam.
Well long story short, pulled the #1 plug and got water coming out :( What gives. All the other cyls are fine and firing perfect.
gonna pull the intake and take a look but thought I would ask here!Check your intake manifold gasket...Sounds like it didnt seal correctly..........

SmokinLowriderSS
05-16-2006, 01:27 PM
Yep, my bet. When you put it back together, put a small ring of RTV arround the water jacket openings in the intake gasket. They are fairly notorious on all the engines I believe (ford, chevy, olds). It's one of the FEW places I really think rtv is of great value.

460 jus getn it
05-16-2006, 01:32 PM
001, What type of intake gasket are you running. i use the felpro gaskets with the blue o-rings(#1812 on the ford i think) but allways run a bead so rtv around the water jacket like SS said. They say that you dont need it, but its better to be safe then sorry....................................

502 JET
05-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Folks,
gonna pull the intake and take a look but thought I would ask here!
What exhaust are you running?Headers weep hole plugged or a cracked exhaust log could cause a problem.Dont over look the exhaust.

MudPumper
05-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Were you running it with the water hose? Could have been getting water reversion. If the cylinders are trying to suck up water, it will make it run rough at idle and low RPM. Just a thought, I've seen guys fill up there motors running em on the hose before.