PDA

View Full Version : Street legal Supermoto

Speedin' Ian
05-16-2006, 05:20 PM
What do you guys think of this bike? My brother and I are kicking around the idea of picking a couple up. From what I am told it is the same exact motor as the race bike... just different exhaust and jetting (they include different jets for offroad use ;) ) Anyone have bad or good info on them?
http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2006/06_SM510.html

HMF'er
05-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Husky's have had reliability issues over the past 10 years. Not to mention parts are expensive compared to the Japanese bikes. I would look into the KTM, or build my own supermoto bike out of a Japanese bike.

Speedin' Ian
05-16-2006, 05:31 PM
The reliability was my biggest concern, I was told the new motor is completely different, but we won't really know until someone puts some miles on one. I wanted a KTM but they don't make a street legal verzion, and the only other company who builds a street legal verzion is Suzuki and it is based off their DRZ :yuk: . So then I could make a CRF 450X street legal and convert it to supermoto, but it would cost a lot more and I have heard the small oil capacities of the trans and motor will not sustain the heat associated with prolonged use on the street and guys are experiencing motor failure. I know on a 40-80 mile desert race my 450R burn a bit of oil.

cola
05-16-2006, 05:36 PM
http://www.geos-cc.com/images/dcp_1828.jpg

looky_lou
05-16-2006, 05:37 PM
I am sure that Honda and Yamaha are probably working on something as we speak. :cool:

Speedin' Ian
05-16-2006, 05:45 PM
Cola that looks bitchen, but I want street legal so that I can cruise around town and down to the beach.
looky lou I'm sure you're right but I want now!!! And I really don't think the CRF or YZF motors will last on the street.

HMF'er
05-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Cola that looks bitchen, but I want street legal so that I can cruise around town and down to the beach.
looky lou I'm sure you're right but I want now!!! And I really don't think the CRF or YZF motors will last on the street.
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the reliability issue with street use had to do with excess pressure on the shift forks or another transmission component as the rubber on the road does not have as much slip as on the dirt. If you're not putting too many miles on it, you may not have much to worry about it.
I have heard good things about Baja Designs in the San Diego area for enduro / street legal conversions for motocrossers. Look them up.

onesloryd
05-16-2006, 06:01 PM
If I am not mistaken Husaberg makes one.

cola
05-16-2006, 06:01 PM
I have a 06 CRF450X with a plate in California. I dont think the Huskie will live any longer then one of these. I could be wrong, it has happened before. :)

cola
05-16-2006, 06:03 PM
If I am not mistaken Husaberg makes one.
I have friends with Husabergs, they have Hondas to ride while waiting for parts. :p

Racer277
05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that the reliability issue with street use had to do with excess pressure on the shift forks or another transmission component as the rubber on the road does not have as much slip as on the dirt. .
Without a cush drive, dirt bike drivetrains take a beating on the street.
That 510 looks like the shit. I think for your limited street use, it would be a blast. If you decide to race, your stuck between the 450 limit, and the unlimiteds, so you race against the BIG boys.
Have you checked to see if it has a key?

Speedin' Ian
05-16-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure if it has a key, they're street legal in all 50 states so I would think it does. I would rather build a 450X but it will be about 3k more and I have heard a lot of horror stories, however I won't be riding long distances. I'm going to do a little more research on the supermoto forums before I make a decision. I'm not worried about racing... I barely have enough time for district 37 races so I can't imagine I would do too many supermoto races.

HMF'er
05-16-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm not sure if it has a key, they're street legal in all 50 states so I would think it does. I would rather build a 450X but it will be about 3k more and I have heard a lot of horror stories, however I won't be riding long distances. I'm going to do a little more research on the supermoto forums before I make a decision. I'm not worried about racing... I barely have enough time for district 37 races so I can't imagine I would do too many supermoto races.
thumpertalk.com

Racer277
05-16-2006, 07:27 PM
I don't think it has a key, but don't let that stop you. A good lock and chain is necessary and better either way.
You could do the 450R or X with your planned short distances, but I think the Husky would be more unique. That alone may be worth the lack of parts and information.

Racer277
05-16-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.motoring.co.za/site/30/picdb/gallery/1/8/67938
http://www.motoring.co.za/site/30/picdb/gallery/a/8/67939
http://www.motoring.co.za/site/30/picdb/gallery/5/4/67941
http://www.motoring.co.za/site/30/picdb/gallery/0/1/67952

TRUMP TIGHT
05-16-2006, 07:45 PM
I dont know about the new bikes but the old Husqvarnas where bullet proof. The older ones also had to be kicked from the left side of the bike which was a b!tch when cold!

Jrocket
05-16-2006, 08:06 PM
I have a 06 CRF450X with a plate in California.
How did you do that?

cola
05-16-2006, 09:09 PM
How did you do that?
Dealer ran it through. They sent me the pink, and a week or so later the plate and reg. showed. No green sticker. I callet AAA and put full coverage on it that day. It says CRF450X also. Works for me. I'am trying to get a rear fender from Europe with the Honda plate holder & light.
When we did the same thing with my 99 YZF400 back in 98.

Ziggy
05-16-2006, 09:52 PM
I thought Aprilia makes a street/moto bike too.......

bruddah
05-17-2006, 07:05 AM
i have also been looking at thesed bikes for the last month. i am very interested in getting one. i was looking at the 450 but i think that the 510 is a better option due to the power that is needed to stay at those i freeway speeds. they look awesome and i know that husky makes a great bike besides the fact that the parts are expensive. but this bike by far looks the best out of all the street legal supermotos. if you get one let me know where you get it and what price you get? where are you located?

Jack Black
05-17-2006, 07:27 AM
I've only called one shop in Riverside for pricing and they quoted $7299 for the 450 and $7699 for the 510, but he said he can work on the pricing a little, anyone else price these out and find a better deal in the So Cal area?

Racer277
05-17-2006, 07:36 AM
If your going SM only, that's a no-brainer.
But, if you go Cola's route (450X) and spend a few extra, you still have all the MX gear to have a fun D37 (or dunes) bike. It's not much more work to switch SM/MX than changing out a paddle. Aprilia's new V was not homo'd for the AMA, but it would be cool on the street, if you could ever get one.
The Husky sure has all the right bits on it.

Speedin' Ian
05-17-2006, 09:29 AM
Those pics of the bike look bitchen! I'm not interested in racing supermoto, I just want a little hot rod I can race around my town and down to the beach so I think this bike wood be perfect. If I like the bike maybe I'll buy an extra set of wheels and tires for the desert, but I think it will be tough to beat 450R in the desert and tracks

bruddah
05-17-2006, 09:50 AM
i am also planning on buying an extra set of rims and ties for the dez since i have been riding since i was young. seems like a good option and i dont think i will kill myself as fast as i would on a streetbike.ill price some in san diego. i know of a shop downtown, its liek gp motorsports or somthin.

Big Kahunaa
05-17-2006, 09:59 AM
supermoto (http://www.apriliausa.com/modelli/offroad/modello.asp?id=111)

SoCalSouthpaw
05-17-2006, 11:28 AM
Man-Up and get one of these......
http://www.bikepics.com/ktm/950supermoto/

Jack Black
05-17-2006, 11:45 AM
I actually looked into that bike, but it was way too heavy if I remember correctly. We want something light that would be fun for around town.

laveydayz
05-17-2006, 11:53 AM
I have a few friends who have gotten plates on 06 450x's thru the Thousand Oaks DMV. For some reason this branch office is letting some slide thru!!! For the distance Speedin Ian is planning on riding (from T.O. to the beach) the Yam/Hon would last no problem!

laveydayz
05-17-2006, 11:56 AM
What about KTM?? They have a few supermoto models that are street legal. May be a little pricey though.

Speedin' Ian
05-17-2006, 12:02 PM
I know I could get a 450X and get a plate through the DMV, but by the time I convert the bike to supermoto with the wheels/tires, brakes, etc... I think it will be quite a bit more than the husqy, but definately an option I am entertaining. I am already familiar with the Hondas, and I like that I can run to TRE and get anything I need for it.

LAPII
05-17-2006, 11:28 PM
The trick is to tell the dealership to process it as a dual sport, and not as an off-road bike. You should have no problems, a lot of people don't know about that option when buy a enduro type bike. Once it is processed as an off-road bike, it can never be reversed.

cola
07-08-2006, 04:43 PM
http://www.ducati.com/od/ducatinorthamerica/news/detail.jhtml?newsId=11481
This one would work. :cool:

DMOORE
07-08-2006, 06:46 PM
What do you guys think of this bike? My brother and I are kicking around the idea of picking a couple up. From what I am told it is the same exact motor as the race bike... just different exhaust and jetting (they include different jets for offroad use ;) ) Anyone have bad or good info on them?
http://www.husqvarnausa.com/2006/06_SM510.html
A buddy just bought one. I'll let you know what he thinks of it in a few weeks. He got it from GP motorcycles in San Diego, registered and ready to go. I run an ATK 605 and a CR 500 I am converting to supermoto. Already have a plate.
Darrell.

wsuwrhr
07-10-2006, 06:57 AM
if you guys decide on a Honda,(best in my opinion) Racer's Edge in Riverside has done TONS of dyno/development time with the 450R. They are kicking factory Honda's ass in racing.
Billet big bore cylinders
Carb mods
head mods
60+ HP if you want it.
Brian
Cheese website, but talk to Dan, he knows what he talks about.
Racers Edge clickety click (http://teamracersedge.com)

TOBTEK
07-10-2006, 07:12 AM
How did you do that?
the X model can be street legal. they have the correct vin #'s to go right through the DMV, unlike the std CRF.