PDA

View Full Version : Cat Insurance ............

andy01
11-12-2002, 12:22 PM
I know this has been gone over 1,000 times but I am to lazy to look up the threads. I need to get insurance on my Mach 26. Thanks for the help.
Andy

mbrown2
11-12-2002, 12:45 PM
racingrascal:
I know this has been gone over 1,000 times but I am to lazy to look up the threads. I need to get insurance on my Mach 26. Thanks for the help.
AndyAndy, Without having to do a search and hunt/peck for names and numbers, call Darla at DCB and have her provide/fax you the list of the carriers. I tried most of them and was getting quotes between 2150 and 2500. I went with a Farmers Agent (not on the list) that was around 2200, but the coverage was better than most of the others. His name is Devin Wozencraft (714)210-2830. I have heard others have gotten it cheaper in the prior years, but just seems cat insurance continues to rise.

kab
11-12-2002, 01:06 PM
Be careful with farmers I've heard bad things about them. Mr. & Mrs Havasu Cig problems with farmers. Just be careful. I would definetly call Darla @ DCB.

mbrown2
11-12-2002, 01:13 PM
kab:
Be careful with farmers I've heard bad things about them. Mr. & Mrs Havasu Cig problems with farmers. Just be careful. I would definetly call Darla @ DCB.Hello Kab
I think that Cig had problems with a State Farm agent. Regarding this particular Farmers agent, he is brokering it out to someone else since Farmer's does not cover cats. He is pretty familiar with the cats and people not wanting to insure, so I did not worry too much; and received my policy with everything listed with no issues. Also, he is reviewing all my insurance (two homes, cars, two boats, etc..) and there might be a possibility with the business I could get an exclusion to be covered with Farmers, and lower my Cat insurance significantly.
[ November 12, 2002, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

Havasu Cig
11-12-2002, 01:26 PM
We had problems with State Farm as far as them accepting our policy and then rejecting it 3 months later.
As far as farmers is concerned, my Father had to sue them when they refused to pay after his house was burglarized. It took five years in court for him to collect his money.
My other 1/2 actually compiled some of the names on the list that Darla has at DCB when we had our first 26. She gave the names to Darla when she was done. Good luck.

jm2drvr
11-12-2002, 01:31 PM
Devon quoted me almost 4k for my mach 26. Worldwide was the cheapest 2200 for 90k replacement value and all the usual coverage. I called all the #'s on DCB's list, so this may save you some time.

andy01
11-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Thanks I will get the number from Darla for World Wide.
Andy

jm2drvr
11-13-2002, 09:19 AM
I was suppose to give greg a call today at worldwide, but forgot his # at home, anybody got it?

rivercrazy
11-13-2002, 09:42 AM
Ouch. Cat insurance sure is expensive. Over $200 bucks a month? Jeez..... :mad:

PlayTime
11-14-2002, 12:25 PM
I was looking for a cat too. Engine size has a lot to do with how much you will pay. If you get an engine pretty close to stock the premium will be alot cheaper but put anything worth while and watch the price rise.

Sandbar Mike
11-15-2002, 06:21 AM
I've plan'd on insuring my soon to be new cat for 6 months out of the year, and the other six months keep it in the Garage in the Havasu House. Home owner insurance should cover it if the boat were stolen. But I have to Check? :confused:
Anyone know
Mike

THOR
11-15-2002, 07:23 AM
We used to do that, but it was discontinued by my insurance company (All State). I used to renew the insurance every quarter, then when October came the insurance would lapse as it did in Jan. It would pick up in April again for the 2 summer quarters. It was cool while it lasted.

LVjetboy
11-18-2002, 11:33 PM
2200 for 100 mph mega buck cat insurance? Ya that seems about right. Considering over 2000 for my cheap little slow a** jet boat...never any accidents or thefts to claim here. Going on 20 years plus. But those 100+ mph cats are way safer right? Maybe not cheaper you think? Wonder why rates keep going up? Are insurance companies finally catching on??
f*cking p*ssed,
jer
[ November 18, 2002, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

XTRM22
11-19-2002, 06:29 AM
Sandbar Mike:
I've plan'd on insuring my soon to be new cat for 6 months out of the year, and the other six months keep it in the Garage in the Havasu House. Home owner insurance should cover it if the boat were stolen. But I have to Check? :confused:
Anyone know
MikeDude I'd talk to my agent and check that out real carefully, When I checked with my agent, nothing with a motor was covered under the Home policy, meaning I had to have seperate insurance for theft or damage on the dirt bikes and quads.
my .02
Chuck

Charley
11-19-2002, 07:59 AM
I used Alliance Marine in florida, who was underwritten by Lloyds of London.... even though I had a bad taste in my mouth because I was under-insured(absolutely all MY fault) I would still say they did a good job with my claim. They got me a check about a week ago and I really hit no snags along the way. I worked with John at Alliance (516)333-7000
good luck Andy! :D

TOBTEK
11-19-2002, 08:37 AM
ok, I have a source of really good coverage at very good rates....."IF" your 22ft tunnel DOES NOT have twin outboards! But 26ftr's with inboards shouldnt be a problem....They will do mine cause it will be a slow single outboard! I have been with this ALLSTATE agent for yrs and yrs, they have allways treated me great...call Mike Egan at 858-487-6111 tell em Toby sent ya in..

kab
11-19-2002, 09:11 AM
But toby I heard your a horrible driver :D So twin or single your in trouble. I had to use Alliance Marine Insurance seems like they are the only ones that can get insurance for a twin.

TOBTEK
11-19-2002, 10:56 AM
kab:
But toby I heard your a horrible driver :D So twin or single your in trouble. I had to use Alliance Marine Insurance seems like they are the only ones that can get insurance for a twin."IM AN EXCELLENT DRIVER" "KMART SUCKS" I'm guessing the insurance companies know that pep's with twin DCB's are RICH! and have way too much extra $$$$$$$$$ :D :D :D

Charley
11-19-2002, 01:50 PM
TOBTEK:
I'm guessing the insurance companies know that pep's with twin DCB's are RICH! and have way too much extra $$$$$$$$$ :D :D :D Trust me that part is NOT true

25Elmn8r
11-22-2002, 03:21 PM
I just got off the phone with my agent today and he confirmed a conversation I had with Todd(Jokers Wild) at the RRX regata. He(my agent) said that there are 2 legit companies in the US that will insure high performance Boats. Not just cats but any boat that is faster than 60 eek! mph. All other companies have dropped out of the business. The first is Markel(which I have) and the other is Inamar. Inamar writes ACV(Actual cash value) policies and wanted a higher premium. ACV is based on the Nada guide(no thanks) The nada guide shows that my boat is valued at 35k :confused: . Show me a 25 Daytona for 35k and I will buy another one.
Markel will write your policy for agreed value. You agree to the value of your boat and thats what they pay if something were to happen. IMO, the only way to go is with an agreed value policy. Now the down side to Markel is they only write policies for 26ft and up. I squeaked by and if anything were to come up my agent will get Bob Leach involved to say it is technically a 26ft boat.
So if this is true, I don't want to be the guys with the sub 25ft performance boat. Stuck with an ACV policy and higher premiums. Sorry for the bad news guys.

fat rat
11-23-2002, 04:36 AM
Markel insures my 21' Daytona for $1800. a year! Thats still alot more than what I want to pay. frown

rbtnt
11-25-2002, 03:48 PM
I just reviewed a policy from INAMAR on a 28' Daytona with a pair of 625hps today, and the only items that are ACV are sails, tops, outboard motors and outdrives. On the boat they will pay the lowest of
A. max amount declared on policy
B. cost of replacement
C. cost to repair with no depreciation except for items mentioned above.
The deductable is 3% of declared value.
Can someone provide a contact for Markel?
Thanks,
[ November 25, 2002, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: rbtnt ]

fat rat
11-25-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks,[/QB][/QUOTE]
PMA handles mine, there out of Fla. and I don't have a # at the house for them. My friend insures his 25' Daytona with a single 600SC with them and his policy is less than mine. :mad:

fat rat
11-25-2002, 04:46 PM
fat rat:
Thanks,PMA handles mine, there out of Fla. and I don't have a # at the house for them. My friend insures his 25' Daytona with a single 600SC with them and his policy is less than mine. :mad: [/QB][/QUOTE]
And told them a 100 mph+. :confused:

dcb carrera
11-25-2002, 05:00 PM
I have PMA ins. The # is 954-583-5558. The fax is 954-583-8556. The guy name is Buzz he's pretty cool and he knows boats. He was cheaper than the first guy I had. I insured a Mach 26 with a 500hp for around 2500 with 1,000,000 liability

rbtnt
11-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the info on Buzz at PMA.

kphayes
11-26-2002, 09:33 AM
I just got coverage from Buzz w/PMA (underwriter is Markel) a couple of weeks ago on a '97 25' Daytona w/twin outboards, and I am paying just under $2100. That was the best I could come up with.
Just my two cents.

SVO 540
11-26-2002, 12:24 PM
Andy,
I checked out your boat last week. It looks great.
When I walked in the shop the guys at GTP were asking me lots of questions about things they did on my boat and how they would apply to your boat.
Why no stand off box?
Anyway, I am insured through Markel. I did lots of homework and was able to get three brokers to compete for my business. All three brokers were quoting Markel with the same coverage. The difference was that some were willing to reduce their commission to get me a better premium. One broker really wanted my business and reduced the premium three different times. He got my business. Let me know if you want more information on how I did this and who I used.
SVO 540 - OUT

25Elmn8r
11-26-2002, 10:17 PM
If you want someone local(So CAL) to deal with, Give Marty a call at Charter Lakes Ins(Broker with Markel). 714.969.2418. He is a good guy and will take care of you. He gave me a better price than Buzz did.
Tell him DJ sent you.
[ November 26, 2002, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: 25Elmn8r ]