PDA

View Full Version : Any printers or Catalog peeps in the house?

OutCole'd
01-01-2006, 12:17 PM
I got questions.....

Jordy
01-01-2006, 12:32 PM
I'd talk to Rexone. The new Rex Marine catalog is the balls. :D :D :D
sorry, couldn't pass up the opportunity. ;)

OutCole'd
01-01-2006, 12:33 PM
I was going to call Mike to see who he uses, then go with ANYONE else. :cool:

wsuwrhr
01-01-2006, 01:00 PM
I was going to call Mike to see who he uses, then go with ANYONE else. :cool:
Now that is some New Year's day funny shit.
Brian

Jbb
01-01-2006, 01:04 PM
:p :p

GOFSTSUMDAY
01-03-2006, 06:01 AM
OUTCOLE'd,
My wife is a graphics designer that workes for a cataloge production company. If you have questions, she may be able to help you. Let me know.

Tom Brown
01-03-2006, 07:17 AM
I think Roland the Fisherman is in that business. He hangs out in Bench Racers when he's not copulating with uclhater's wife.

RiverToysJas
01-03-2006, 07:42 AM
I'm a project manager for the largest commercial printer in the world. What would you like to know?
RTJas :D

uclahater
01-03-2006, 09:06 AM
I'm a project manager for the largest commercial printer in the world. What would you like to know?
Who do you work for?

superdave013
01-03-2006, 10:30 AM
What would you like to know?
I have a question. :)
Why does RR Donnely's Dennis Cotey buy those pos MEGTEC oxidizers? lol

2 Trick Rick
01-03-2006, 10:32 AM
I got questions.....
I'm finishing up a 600 Page dealer catalog right now, and I do EVERYTHING! - From taking the product pictures to layout, design and product info.
What's the question? =-

h2oski2fast
01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
I got questions.....
PM me what you are looking for, or any questions you have. I do graphics design for print, and have printers that I work with.

superdave013
01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
and now that Quebicor and World Press merged are you still the largest? lol
BTW, this is my last week in the Oxidizer biz but if I was looking to buy one I would look into Allaince Corp. They build a very nice rig and do fantastic service (on all makes and models)

OutCole'd
01-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the responses!!!! I need to get back to lots of pm's.
Here's the scoop. My catalog is pretty large, 190+ (85x2) pages. It is basically just a photocop of my "Parent" company in California. Due to it being photocopied, the picture quality is very poor. I have almost all the original images on disc, and would like to find out what it takes to do this.
It is realistic to buy a Mac & the appropriate program and lay out the pages myself? If it saved on disc and sent to a printer, what would it cost to print them? Cost per page?
Last time I had them done, I only printed 100 copies due to the fact I hate the quality and the cost. It was close to $20.00 per catalog, (including spiral bining & front & back cover).

RiverToysJas
01-03-2006, 10:51 AM
and now that Quebicor and World Press merged are you still the largest? lol
BTW, this is my last week in the Oxidizer biz but if I was looking to buy one I would look into Allaince Corp. They build a very nice rig and do fantastic service (on all makes and models)
I'm not 100% sure RRD is the biggest anymore, but I know it was very close before the RRD / Moore Wallace merger, so I assume RRD is #1 again - but it might depend on how you run the numbers.
As for the Oxidizers....I would have to defer to my Dad who could probably have a long detailed conversation with you on the subject. ;)

superdave013
01-03-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm not 100% sure RRD is the biggest anymore, but I know it was very close before the RRD / Moore Wallace merger, so I assume RRD is #1 again - but it might depend on how you run the numbers.
As for the Oxidizers....I would have to defer to my Dad who could probably have a long detailed conversation with you on the subject. ;)
Tell your dad about the Allaince guys. They are super cool and are local in So Cal. Might help with some uptime due to the fact that they are close. Both of the guys that started it used to work here with me and one of them spent some time at MEGTEC. They are very sharp and know what works and what doen't.

RiverToysJas
01-03-2006, 11:05 AM
It is realistic to buy a Mac & the appropriate program and lay out the pages myself? If it saved on disc and sent to a printer, what would it cost to print them? Cost per page?
If you do not know how to set up files for printing, you are far better off paying someone who does. The files will need to be set up correctly, you might as well have it done up front. If at the last minute the files need to be fixed, the printer will do it at what will probably be a premium price.
To figure cost, the printer is going to need to know - how the files are being supplied, how many colors are you printing, roughly or specifically what stock you'd like to use, will it have a heavier cover, coated or uncoated, what type of binding, and very important....how many do you need. Your per book cost could get down to a $1.00 a book or less if you print enough of them. The more you print, the less your per book cost...assuming you are offset printing them.
Hope that helps a little.

Tom Brown
01-03-2006, 11:36 AM
It's extremely realistic. You can work on the catalog in your spare time between 2 pm and 5 am (which will become your new work hours)... while you hang out on the ***boat forums.

Cole91
01-03-2006, 11:56 AM
Who do you work for?

RiverToysJas
01-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Who do you work for?
RR Donnelley

riverracerx
01-03-2006, 12:15 PM
I used to manage the Clymer Automotive manuals account.
I know how to do layout, work the camera, strip flats, opaque, burn plates, run a sheetfed, saddle stitch, three-knife, etc.
Then they invented this thing called a computer? And our company went out of business because our management thought it was a fad!

Cole91
01-03-2006, 12:17 PM
RR Donnelley
Cool I just sent you a PM, I work for Graphic Press LA, and I will be working with you guys very soon :crossx:

Cole91
01-03-2006, 12:21 PM
I used to manage the Clymer Automotive manuals account.
I know how to do layout, work the camera, strip flats, opaque, burn plates, run a sheetfed, saddle stitch, three-knife, etc.
Then they invented this thing called a computer? And our company went out of business because our management thought it was a fad!
The good old days, long afternoon naps in the camera room :p

RiverToysJas
01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
The good old days, long afternoon naps in the camera room :p
During the time I worked in Pre-press it went from mostly manual (cameras, film, chemicals, bluelines, etc...) to totally electronic and direct to plate. It was a pretty cool to be in that department actually.
I returned your PM. ;)

superdave013
01-03-2006, 12:33 PM
Cool I just sent you a PM, I work for Graphic Press LA, and I will be working with you guys very soon :crossx:
I think you guys have some of our equipment at your place. But it has an Advantage Energy Group sticker on it. Now ya know where it really came from. ;)

Cole91
01-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I think you guys have some of our equipment at your place. But it has an Advantage Energy Group sticker on it. Now ya know where it really came from. ;)
Equipment? details. what kind of equipment do you sell?