PDA

View Full Version : Never use Dependable Auto Shippers!!!

Wizard29
05-17-2006, 11:01 AM
So I'm having a pro street/show car I bought sent from Florida to California via DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers).
One Saturday I'm trying to get a hold of them to reschedule the pickup because it had to change. I call at about 11:20 and get a guy on the phone who says he will transfer me to customer service. I wait about 10 minutes on hold and then call back. Same guy answers, transfers me again. I wait on hold again for about 10 minutes. I hang up, give it a few minutes and call back. Same guy, transfers again. This time I wait on hold for about 15 minutes before a recording comes on saying their offices are now closed (they close at 12 on Saturdays). Nice. Called the sales rep who is off that day and left a message on her voice mail telling her the pickup should be canceled. She had told me in advance I could do it that way. It was all I could do at that point.
Monday comes and I get a call from the truck driver who says he is at the location to pick up the car, but can't find it. I tell him that the pickup should have been rescheduled. So I make sure to contact DAS and make that clear so I wouldn't be charged a show-up fee. I find out they were planning to charge me that fee and it's a good thing I called to explain that I had tried to cancel the order on Saturday.
Two weeks ago today the car was picked up from the seller's house and brought to the terminal in Naples, Florida. It is STILL there!! And sitting outside in the sun while I have paid for ENCLOSED transport!! Two weeks sitting outside in the Florida sun. I was told that it could remain at the terminal for a "short period of time." A short period of time is not two weeks.
I called them last week after noticing on the tracking system that the car had not moved. They assured me that the car would be picked up very soon. I noticed the car still had not moved yesterday and called to find out why. I was told the matter would be investigated and I would receive a call back.
Astonishingly enough, I actually got a call back this morning and was told the car will be loaded very soon, but will not be on-time for the original delivery date of 5/20. Instead, it *should* be here in California on 5/24.
To summarize:
Be prepared to stay on hold for a while when calling them, and you may not be able to get anyone on the phone at all.
You could get charged a show-up fee if you've made every effort to reschedule a pickup but the company didn't do it.
Your car could stay out in the elements for a "short period of time" and then be four days late on delivery.
You will not be notified of a late delivery unless you continually track your shipment and continually call to get answers.
You will pay for the service up front and apparently have the company be quite lax in fulfilling their end of the deal since they already have your money.
$1600 to have my car bake in the sun for two weeks and be four days late. Completely unacceptable. Dependable Auto Shippers apparently isn't so dependable after all.

Gilligan
05-17-2006, 11:04 AM
I shipped a car across the country and when they backed it off the trailer they had the door open and it smashed into the trailer. http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/wavecrowd.gif

Magic34
05-17-2006, 11:34 AM
If it was there for 2 weeks, they simply dont have that many trucks. They dont have a truck in the area they can dispatch the load to.
I suggest Reliable Carriers. They are usually pretty good, and they used to be an agent for Allied, then just switched to auto transport only.

prosthogod
05-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Last summer I tried to use them to have my Viper shipped and after 3wks waiting to get it picked up, I finally called them and told them there were F***ing idiots. I found a guy who normally does motorcyles for me and he had it here in 4 days.