PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

Nord
05-17-2006, 01:59 PM
I currently am running 2 deep cycles in my boat right now with a battery selector. I run the selector on all for the stereo and want to add a Optima gel cel deep cycle. I'm going to add it inline with one of the deep cycle (costco) batteries. Do you guys see any problems with this??
Thanks
~NORD~

ANXIETY ATTACK
05-17-2006, 02:25 PM
run the 2 deep cycle paralell on 1 and the gell on 2, run the boat and charge on both and turn the selecton to 1 , 2 , or off when sitting listning to the stereo, run the stereo on deep or gell, not both, putting different type batterys in paralell will create circulating currents and drain all over time

h2oski2fast
05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
You don;t want to parallel batteries that are from different ratings, manufacturer, size, or age. They will not charge correctly together. So, an Optima w/ a "costco deep cycle" is not a good idea. It won;t damage anything, but it won't charge the two batteries correcty (either under charge one, or over charge the other).

Redding Rat
05-17-2006, 02:37 PM
I have an RV so this type of question comes about all the time. If you tie it into another battery, both batteries should be the same age and in the same shape or one battery will never charge correctly. If it were me I would start with two new batteries and tie them together. The actual best way with the best capicty would be to take 2 6 volt batteries and wire them in series to get 12 volts and this will give you more listening time before recharging. Also remember not to discharge the batteries all the way, they won't last very long. They should recharged once they get down by about 50%.
Redding Rat

RiverDave
05-17-2006, 02:45 PM
You don;t want to parallel batteries that are from different ratings, manufacturer, size, or age. They will not charge correctly together. So, an Optima w/ a "costco deep cycle" is not a good idea. It won;t damage anything, but it won't charge the two batteries correcty (either under charge one, or over charge the other).
Looks like I gotta put a perko in the wakeboard boat.. HHHmmm
RD

Nord
05-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Now I need to decide on buying another one or doubling up the other two.
Dammit!!!!

h2oski2fast
05-17-2006, 03:02 PM
I have an RV so this type of question comes about all the time. If you tie it into another battery, both batteries should be the same age and in the same shape or one battery will never charge correctly. If it were me I would start with two new batteries and tie them together. The actual best way with the best capicty would be to take 2 6 volt batteries and wire them in series to get 12 volts and this will give you more listening time before recharging. Also remember not to discharge the batteries all the way, they won't last very long. They should recharged once they get down by about 50%.
Redding Rat
You might want to do a search in the audio section before bringing that up..... your gonna open a can of worms.

h2oski2fast
05-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Looks like I gotta put a perko in the wakeboard boat.. HHHmmm
RD
Or have someone do it for you....... Have you figured out which side of the screwdriver to use, yet?

Jordy
05-17-2006, 03:22 PM
I currently am running 2 deep cycles in my boat right now with a battery selector. I run the selector on all for the stereo and want to add a Optima gel cel deep cycle. I'm going to add it inline with one of the deep cycle (costco) batteries. Do you guys see any problems with this??
Thanks
~NORD~
Do you have a separate battery for starting so when you run the stereo into the ground you're still able to start the boat and get home??? Perkos are nice as long as you remember to change them over and charge them when you're done.
Oh, and if you really want to stir it up, mention 6 volts and then ask about adding a cap. :D
Personally, I like my 6 volts. Haven't let me down yet. Will play all day on kill. ;)

Nord
05-17-2006, 03:31 PM
O.k, can I run 2 yellow cap 870's on one side of the selector
and 1 costco deep cycle on the other ???

Nord
05-17-2006, 03:32 PM
Do you have a separate battery for starting so when you run the stereo into the ground you're still able to start the boat and get home??? Perkos are nice as long as you remember to change them over and charge them when you're done.
Oh, and if you really want to stir it up, mention 6 volts and then ask about adding a cap. :D
Personally, I like my 6 volts. Haven't let me down yet. Will play all day on kill. ;)
The costco will be the backup starter battery

RiverDave
05-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Or have someone do it for you....... Have you figured out which side of the screwdriver to use, yet?
ScrewDrivers only come out of the glass one way??
RD

Nord
05-17-2006, 03:41 PM
o.k...............
so the question is can I run 2 yellow caps parellel on one side and one regular deep cycle on the other???

Jordy
05-17-2006, 03:48 PM
Typically, they don't recommend that you use the deep cycles for starting batteries for some reason. Personally, I'd set up a separate bank of batteries that don't connect to your starting system with a Perko even and run your amps off them, and then have the headunit run and the rest of the boat run off of the other battery (ies). Make it as simple as possible so you don't have to worry about what switch is where. Easy to forget and end up with dead batteries. ;)

Jesster
05-17-2006, 03:59 PM
The Deep cycle as a starting battery depends on a couple things. Here is a C/P on it, way easier than paraphrasing :rollside:
There is generally no problem with this, providing that allowance is made for the lower cranking amps compared to a similar size starting battery. As a general rule, if you are going to use a true deep cycle battery (such as the Concorde) also as a starting battery, it should be oversized about 20% compared to the existing or recommended starting battery group size to get the same cranking amps. That is about the same as replacing a group 24 with a group 31. With modern engines with fuel injection and electronic ignition, it generally takes much less battery power to crank and start them, so raw cranking amps is less important than it used to be. On the other hand, many cars, boats, and RV's are more heavily loaded with power sucking "appliances", such as megawatt stereo systems etc. that are more suited for deep cycle batteries.
Here is the site Battery info (http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm#Using%20a%20deep%20cycle%20battery %20as%20a%20starting%20battery)