PDA

View Full Version : first oil change help!!!!!!

boats&bars
05-17-2006, 07:38 PM
I am changing the oil in the new to me boat for the first time it is a 77 25'' hawaiian w/ 325 hp harman marine 454 and berkley jet , what is a good oil grade to use, what filter and number do I use, and should I relocate the filter,
I also need to do plugs soon, all help is appriciated, thanks

dtr352
05-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I would say a good 10w 40 or if it is hot where you are 20w 50 should be good. I don't want to start a pissing contest over what oil and filter brand is best because people seem to take it pretty seriously. Just stick with any name brand oil and filter for a bbc and you should be fine.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Quite true. There are likely way over a couple dozen oil threads on here if ya do a search. Everyone uses the best oil they know of, and that covers probably a dozen + brands, most of them synthetics these days but by no means all. My Taylor has been in my family (dad bought her) for 27 years. She's run 10w-40 to 20w-50 to 5W-50 synthetic (currently) from at least 3 mfrs I am aware of (Mobil, Texaco (Havoline), and Castrol. When rebuilt last winter ( a year ago), there was nothing worn inside really atributable to oil or filters. Sure, after 26 years the lower end bearings neded changed (and the cheapie stock tining setup was about done), but the journals didn't even need a polish and were still round. She's run Frams (a not very popular filter), Wix's ( a generally agreed to good quality filter), and currently carries a 2qt K&N Gold from Summit (I THINK a PN 6002).
If you run a lot of HP (IMO over about 400) and/or a lot of high-RPM long blasts, a good oil temp gauge would be valuable. The strong engines spin hard enough with a hard load that they heat the oil pretty quickly, especially if you run a stock size pan (I do).
I will relocate my filter next oil change (prob next fall) as I have a kit, but was unaware it used a Ford filter so I am going to use this one up I have before switching it. My new thru trans headers will make it a bit easier at least.

boats&bars
05-18-2006, 01:19 PM
is 10-30 too thin and I got a fram tg6 filter is that right by the way I am using lucas oil....

SmokinLowriderSS
05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Depends on how ya drive it IMO. If you drive arround cruising at moderate speeds, tow skiiers & tubes all the time, No, not too thin IMO (but borderline personally)
If you make a looong, several mile WFO blast (or 2), that oil is gonna get hot from the high-RPM bearing shear all over in the lower end, and it's gonna get thin. 30 wt will already be a bit thin, so it's gonna get thinner. As long as you can maintain solid oil pressure (10 PSI per 1,000 rpm or more is the general "standard"), you're ok.
Running only 5qts of 5w-50 Syntech, I have a hot idle of 23 PSI after looooong full out rips (3+ miles) and I maintain 55PSI solid at any RPM over about 2500. My 454 is no racing monster, but she's good for 400 HP and 5-grand without the nitrous.

dtr352
05-18-2006, 04:21 PM
is 10-30 too thin and I got a fram tg6 filter is that right by the way I am using lucas oil....
I wouldn't use it without an oil cooler. Boat engines work hard no matter how you drive them and oil is relatively cheap. I wouldn't go lower then 10w 40. Put the other stuff in your car. I don't know about the filter. I used to run a fram hp4 and now I have a remote setup that requires the hp6. Don't buy this setup by the way, its a $30 filter. Anyway just call an autoparts place and se if that part number goes with a big block chevy. Good luck.

boats&bars
05-18-2006, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't use it without an oil cooler. Boat engines work hard no matter how you drive them and oil is relatively cheap. I wouldn't go lower then 10w 40. Put the other stuff in your car. I don't know about the filter. I used to run a fram hp4 and now I have a remote setup that requires the hp6. Don't buy this setup by the way, its a $30 filter. Anyway just call an autoparts place and se if that part number goes with a big block chevy. Good luck.
the filter is a bitch to get to, I really want to remote it ,what is a good system
will, 20 -50 work well? its enclosed so it gets hot in there.

SmokinLowriderSS
05-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Back when I was running castrol "natural", I was running 20w-50. It'd be fine, and personally a lot better than 10w-30. Put the 10w-30 in your tow vehicle. :)

dtr352
05-20-2006, 10:37 AM
the filter is a bitch to get to, I really want to remote it ,what is a good system
will, 20 -50 work well? its enclosed so it gets hot in there.
20w 50 will work good. Check online at www.rexmar.com or anyother highperformance parts distributor and they should have a relocation kit that will work for you.

john
05-20-2006, 09:05 PM
30 wt will already be a bit thin, so it's gonna get thinner. . for breakin im running 13qts 30w + 1qt lucas i thought 30wt was a thicker oil :idea:

dtr352
05-21-2006, 12:18 PM
for breakin im running 13qts 30w + 1qt lucas i thought 30wt was a thicker oil :idea:
Great oil for breakin but too thin most of the time for hard use.

john
05-21-2006, 12:24 PM
so 20-50 it is. that lucas oil is thick as snot. it say 1qt to 6qt oil but as thick as it was i put one instead of two my oil pressure scares me a bit oil pressure is 80 at 1000rpm and climbs even higher the more rpm high volume low pressure pump oil

Hallett19
05-25-2006, 10:14 AM
I always use 20w-50 Mobil 1 and a WIX Racing or Mobil 1 filter. Cant go wrong with that setup.
I would stay away from Fram, I can tell a difference in oil pressure (much lower) when I use those Frams.
And for plugs, I always use Autolite Platinum, I have heard alot of good things about Denso as well, alot of big power guys are using them. I will try them next tune up for sure. If you use the Densos, let us know how they work !

boats&bars
05-25-2006, 05:23 PM
I use lucas oil not the additive , I buy it from a distributer by the gallon

INFINITEJJ
05-26-2006, 09:55 PM
I always use 20w-50 Mobil 1 and a WIX Racing or Mobil 1 filter. Cant go wrong with that setup.
I would stay away from Fram, I can tell a difference in oil pressure (much lower) when I use those Frams.
And for plugs, I always use Autolite Platinum, I have heard alot of good things about Denso as well, alot of big power guys are using them. I will try them next tune up for sure. If you use the Densos, let us know how they work !
I thought Mobil 1 stopped making the 20w-50, I can't find it. And Wix filters are the good stuff, no doubt.