PDA

View Full Version : who knows carbs?????

86 catalina
05-18-2006, 01:12 AM
I just finished building a 496 chevy big block it is 10 to 1 balanced crank full roller valve train.Anyways....i was wondering what carb to get for this motor.. and what size and type (manual secondaries/vacuum secondaries) or manual choke/electric choke .I was looking at the edelbrock performer carb is it good? should i get a holley?I have never bought a edelbrock carb i dont know anything about them..any help appreciated....

Tn_River_Ratt
05-18-2006, 02:55 AM
An Edelbrock would probably work if the cam dosen't have too much duration. Had one on my 468, but changed to a rather large duration hyd. Had an idle issue due to low idle vacuum. I can hook ya up cheap if thats the way ya wanna go, but I bought an 850 demon for the boat.

jmherbert
05-18-2006, 06:17 AM
.I was looking at the edelbrock performer carb is it good? should i get a holley?I have never bought a edelbrock carb i dont know anything about them..any help appreciated....
Edlebrocks are decent, but you would be happier with a holley or better yet a Barry Grant (they aren't much more $ than a holley anyway, look on ebay)
I would go mechanical secondaries, and either way on choke, or even no choke.
Barrygrant.com has a decent chart to help you size your carb.

ghittner
05-18-2006, 06:25 AM
Holley 850 Marine with Vacuum secondaries is a real nice performance carb that's still ok on the fuel. I 've ran one for 5 years and was very happy with it. Verrrrry pricey though. Going to a blower with 750's this year. :rollside: Don't know if they still make the vac secondaries. Hold on..... Just checked I dont think they do. Mechanicals are a little better in the performance category anyway!!!! I still have the 850 from last year if interested. Perfect shape.
Anyway, go Holley they're better performance, easier to tune and much simpler in every way. Parts are everywhere for them as well.

FASTRAT
05-18-2006, 08:49 AM
I just finished building a 496 chevy big block it is 10 to 1 balanced crank full roller valve train.Anyways....i was wondering what carb to get for this motor.. and what size and type (manual secondaries/vacuum secondaries) or manual choke/electric choke .I was looking at the edelbrock performer carb is it good? should i get a holley?I have never bought a edelbrock carb i dont know anything about them..any help appreciated....
i believe GUGS102 has a carburated 496 & he runs a Holley HP 950cfm on it...u might ck with him...i know he has tried several different carbs & always goes bk to the 950
fastrat