PDA

View Full Version : Head stuck

Keithb87
05-18-2006, 05:10 AM
As you know we let a family member take the boat out. (That will be the last time that happens) What we thought was a spark plug and wire issue turned out to be a bent push rod and a bent exhaust valve.
While in the process of removing the head bolts I snapped one off. Now I can not get the darn thing to break free from the head. It snapped off at the head and we got all of the others bolts out no problem. But that one bolt on the corner is stuck tight. I can rotate the head 90 degres but I can not get hte head to come off of the bolt.
Any Suggestons?

Keithb87
05-18-2006, 05:42 AM
I broke the head bolt off at the head not the block. I got all of the others out. I can rotate the Engine Head 90 degres before I come upon the transom or the floor going the other way. The bolt head is broke off and somewhere in the yard.
Short of pulling the engine and spinning the Head off then knockingthe bolt through with a ahmmer I am out of ideas.
I guess I could try drilling the bolt

lucky
05-18-2006, 05:59 AM
I have seen some guys break heads loose from the gaskets / block in some very cool ways - Pouring oil/hydrolic fluid down the the good cylinders ( threw intake valves . backing off valve adjustment and rolling the engine over by hand ( be carful ) Manual hydrolic lock . I watched a hippy do this and I was amazed ! Dam stoners are creative .. lmao
you will know if that one head bolt is stuck - when the rest of the head lifts
I hate taking heads off , by prying them - especialy alum.

Speedin' Ian
05-18-2006, 07:04 AM
One time I had a head that was stuck to the engine so I hooked up a chain to each end of the head, hooked the chain up to the cherry picker and away we went! When I did it, I applied very little pressure and tapped the head with a rubber mallet and it came up. Keep in mind the motor was on a stand and I was able to rotate the motor so that I could pull it straight up, plus I run studs. You need to make sure there isn't a ridge on the broken bolt before you try prying or pulling too hard on it.

Keithb87
05-18-2006, 07:20 AM
We tried Heat , Penetrating oil, silicone lube, Prying it with a 2x4 and as a last resort PRYING it with a pry bar. NO LUCK.
As of 11:00 pm last night we are at the point of pulling th motor and putting it on a stand so we can then use the cherry picker to pull straight up to try to get it off.
I soaked the hole with Penetrating oil real good ( man that sounds perverted) and let it sit overnight. Hopefully it will just come off tonight (Doubtful) and I won't have to pull the motor.
BTW the family mmber that did the damage( bent #2 exhaust valveand pushrod) is no where around now. (Last time he even rides in the boat)
If I pull the motor I can spin the entire head around and un screw the threads, but that seems like a lot of work.

502 JET
05-18-2006, 08:16 AM
Drill out the top of the head bolt.When it snapped it may have burred and is holding you stuck.It could also be the bolts shoulder like said above so drill that far to remove it.The bolt will be easier to remove if you dont break it off in the deck.Use PB Blaster penatrating oil on the broken bolt and be paitent.

mrossum
05-18-2006, 01:08 PM
if i understand this correctly, it is an aluminum head with steel head bolt stuck inside it with bolt head broke off. if you turn head, bolt turns with it. that being the case, lay a big nut over top of broken bolt, and then weld through center of nut to bolt. this will attach nut to bolt, but not head. then turn nut to break bolt free from head. we do this type of repair regurlarly in water plant that i work at. should do the trick with out hurting anything else.

Keithb87
05-19-2006, 06:58 AM
We pulled the engine and rotated the cast head off. It was the seleved bolt at the back of the motor. What a pain in the arse. :mad:
But at least now I can change the oil easily.

GUGS102
05-19-2006, 08:02 AM
if i understand this correctly, it is an aluminum head with steel head bolt stuck inside it with bolt head broke off. if you turn head, bolt turns with it. that being the case, lay a big nut over top of broken bolt, and then weld through center of nut to bolt. this will attach nut to bolt, but not head. then turn nut to break bolt free from head. we do this type of repair regurlarly in water plant that i work at. should do the trick with out hurting anything else.
I'll have to store that one in the memory banks!!
Thanks

SmokinLowriderSS
05-19-2006, 04:38 PM
But at least now I can change the oil easily.
There's yer silver lining. haha. :p