PDA

View Full Version : whats going on in this pic?

CMZRACING
05-18-2006, 05:48 AM
trying to get some thoughts on whats going on here, anything abnormal that you guys see? thanks for any input fellas. merc 454 gen v block
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3401HEADGASK.jpg

BrendellaJet
05-18-2006, 05:56 AM
Looks like a 454? Appears as though the water is leaking from the headbolt and caused the head gasket to go bad...

jbone
05-18-2006, 06:49 AM
Why is #6 tan and dry and the others are dark and moist.
Is that a lean condition in #6?
J

CMZRACING
05-18-2006, 06:54 AM
I Think Thats The Cylinder Thats Leaking, Making Milkshake. Just Seeing If You Guys Might See Where It Started From. Thanks Again

502 JET
05-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Do you suspect somthing cracked or gasket failure?Was the engine frozen?Rotate #6 down to the bottom and look for a rust line on the cylinder wall showing a crack.Clean up your head and look for cracks.If your heads were excessivly ported they may of cracked.

CMZRACING
05-18-2006, 09:17 AM
yea im thinking gasket failure just thought i would throw a pic up here to see if anyone else might see something i missed. thanks again

victorfb
05-18-2006, 09:40 AM
that is actually a gen VI block. dont confuse the gen V and gen VI when ordering parts. timing gears/chain, cam, ect. look closely at the head bolt holes for seepage. 454 block need the head bolts sealed durring installation. have the heads checked, very poissible that you may have a cracked head. running cold engine temps is dangerous. as the combustion chamber gets extremely hot the flow of cold water running through the head expands and contracts rapidly and causes cracks, warpage, and loosened valve seats.
also can we see a better pic of your exhaust system. if its the system that is shown on your avatar, you may have a problem there. too much up travel not allowing all the water to exit the header tips. especially at lower RPMs. the #6 cylinder is at danger since the header design has that cylinder at the bottom with the lowest and easiest route for reversion.

jets4me
05-18-2006, 10:27 AM
i will answer for cmz i know he is hard at work there is no water going threw those headers and i am thinking it is not is head gasket

Ultra Compulsive
05-18-2006, 10:34 AM
K...I might be stupid here, but why does the whole gasket look crappy??? Especially around the bolt holes??? I think some of the bolts need to be sealed due to them passing through the water jacket??...I'm just trying to remember, its been awhile......were the bolts torqued properly???