PDA

View Full Version : California and education?

Seadog
05-18-2006, 05:48 AM
I just lost even more respect for the idiotic CA judicial system. A California judge has declared the exit exams that a student must pass to get a degree, to be discriminatory. Its english and math for God's sake! Discriminatory against what? The terminally stupid? What are they going to do now? require ebonics and mexican to pass the white kids? I am about ready to give California back to Mexico, but they have to take everything, including Hollyweird and the lawyers. To sweeten the pot, we even throw in a few hundred thousand lawyers.

THOR
05-18-2006, 05:53 AM
FYI, you dont get a degree from HS, you get a diploma. Degrees on come from colleges. Kids that dont pass are only hurting themselves. Big deal. If they cant read/write English and cant do a lick of math I personally feel lucky they are not working with me. Not that I can do either one of those. :)

a catered life
05-18-2006, 06:23 AM
just to clear this up a little....areas like fresno and some of the outer smaller poorer area of calif didn't think the exam was fair ..bullshit. :mad: ...i work for a local school district and talk to kids daily and the biggest problem is these freaking kids arent learning shit....i not poking at the latin kids but they seem to be falling between the cracks.....1 of out 3 kids dont even speak english shit they cant even understand me to tell me their full name...i generally have to have a freaking translater.....and in the area where resources are low they feel that the exit exam is unfair...i feel it bullshit but it not their fault it all started when calif made it manadotory that we teach kids in spanish......it all started going down hill at this point...also on average in black and latin communities there is a 40% drop out rate....shit the same school i graduated from in 1987 had a 87% grad rate and we thought that was bad...my 06 class for this year is 52% wtf are we doing to our kids? setting them up for failure...also the freaking test in on 7-9 grade math and english...if you can pass that your focked anyway in this world......

FullUp
05-18-2006, 06:48 AM
Let's take a moment to thank the liberals for creating children who will be a further burden on our society.

MRSDRMCAT
05-18-2006, 06:57 AM
just to clear this up a little....areas like fresno and some of the outer smaller poorer area of calif didn't think the exam was fair ..bullshit. :mad: ...i work for a local school district and talk to kids daily and the biggest problem is these freaking kids arent learning shit....i not poking at the latin kids but they seem to be falling between the cracks.....1 of out 3 kids dont even speak english shit they cant even understand me to tell me their full name...i generally have to have a freaking translater.....and in the area where resources are low they feel that the exit exam is unfair...i feel it bullshit but it not their fault it all started when calif made it manadotory that we teach kids in spanish......it all started going down hill at this point...also on average in black and latin communities there is a 40% drop out rate....shit the same school i graduated from in 1987 had a 87% grad rate and we thought that was bad...my 06 class for this year is 52% wtf are we doing to our kids? setting them up for failure...also the freaking test in on 7-9 grade math and english...if you can pass that your focked anyway in this world......
No offense but you may want to spell check your response.....being that you are representing the school system...a few errors...just don't want you to get slammed!!!

a catered life
05-18-2006, 07:19 AM
No offense but you may want to spell check your response.....being that you are representing the school system...a few errors...just don't want you to get slammed!!!
ok thanks next time for sure just got excited thank god i dont teach :p

a catered life
05-18-2006, 07:21 AM
You're the most racist dumb**** on HB. Being called stupid by somebody from Oklahoma is like being called a slut by Paris Hilton.
and your reffering to who young man?

cdog
05-18-2006, 07:25 AM
Let's take a moment to thank the liberals for creating children who will be a further burden on our society.
All part of their plan. The lib's will make more money when these morons drip back thru the system and need help from social services.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Teach a man to fish and he will...........".

Mrs. casean
05-18-2006, 08:03 AM
I'm glad I decided to not become a teacher especially after all this crap w/ the school systems in California. It's BS and many of my friends w/ kids are saying the spanish speaking kids are taking the time away from the english speaking(taxpaying-parent's) kids. In college my second language was sign language because those people cannot chose to speak one language over another. They have no choice but to use thier hands and expressions to speak to others where the spanish speaking people in OUR country can learn English. So I have no sympathy for these Spanish speaking children in public schools which we are paying for that are struggling because they have chosen to make language be the barrier to succeed. Not all, but the many that are falling through the cracks in school.

Seadog
05-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Shockwavebib, Paris should know a slut when she sees one. And if you do not like the analysis, either do something about it or go crying to someone else. I probably have more relations I know about in CA than you. Most of them came and got ridiculed as Okies. Now a lot of the Okies are running the businesses in CA.
My brother's last ex-wife was born and raised in CA, has a PhD and is about as stupid as they come. She screwed up his finances so bad that he had to find some place that would pay him a lot more than anyone else. He is now working around Napa making major bucks at a hospital because they cannot find enough people capable of earning nursing degrees in the state. From what he has said, there are a heck of a lot of nurses from other states there because the state is so desperate.

lucky
05-18-2006, 11:58 AM
I just lost even more respect for the idiotic CA judicial system. A California judge has declared the exit exams that a student must pass to get a degree, to be discriminatory. Its english and math for God's sake! Discriminatory against what? The terminally stupid? What are they going to do now? require ebonics and mexican to pass the white kids? I am about ready to give California back to Mexico, but they have to take everything, including Hollyweird and the lawyers. To sweeten the pot, we even throw in a few hundred thousand lawyers.
i love kalifornia el -edumication Tt Taughs me evere thing In clu ding typin

a catered life
05-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Shockwavebib, Paris should know a slut when she sees one. And if you do not like the analysis, either do something about it or go crying to someone else. I probably have more relations I know about in CA than you. Most of them came and got ridiculed as Okies. Now a lot of the Okies are running the businesses in CA.
My brother's last ex-wife was born and raised in CA, has a PhD and is about as stupid as they come. She screwed up his finances so bad that he had to find some place that would pay him a lot more than anyone else. He is now working around Napa making major bucks at a hospital because they cannot find enough people capable of earning nursing degrees in the state. From what he has said, there are a heck of a lot of nurses from other states there because the state is so desperate.
dude you dont need to rag on cali because of the education system...we have a lot more shit worth ragging on like taxes, gas, the price of playoff tickets, and traffic....but needless to say with all this crap its a great place to live.....the weather is great and where else can you water ski and snow ski all in the same day.......and as far as finding quality nurses or anything decent here (nurse, doctor, teacher, lawyer,etc) our rules are some of the strictest in the nation and it maybe there are a lot of other nurses from out of state cause compared to where they came from this is a gold mine........also remember the most important part you said "your brothers last ex wife has a phd"....to me that sounds like your bro cant keep a woman and maybe she knows how to pimp the system...... because its not what you know but who you know

SHOTKALLIN
05-18-2006, 12:22 PM
It would be unfair to have an exit test when all the schools are not on the same level. Not to mention that little Johnny has is better at home than lil Tyrell and lil Paco. You see even though Lil Tyrell has a daddy, he's in jail. As for lil Paco,well his papi no habla Ingles'. From the get go its unfair to expect everyone to be able to pass at the level that Lil Johnny has achieved.
Lets not even bring up the fact that the Tyrell's school's board members steal tens of thousands of dollars from the school's budget every year. The Principal has to have his 24's with spinners on his Escalade. Instead of having computers in the classroom Tyrell and Paco have to share ditto papers. This is so rediculous because they know Tyrell's gang and Paco's gang don't get along.
I've come to the conclusion that Ca is just F'ed up. The ACLU should sue the school board for providing a lame education, but, I think they want Ingles' to be tought as a second language.
Just my .02 :crossx:

Mrs. casean
05-18-2006, 12:33 PM
It would be unfair to have an exit test when all the schools are not on the same level. Not to mention that little Johnny has is better at home than lil Tyrell and lil Paco. You see even though Lil Tyrell has a daddy, he's in jail. As for lil Paco,well his papi no habla Ingles'. From the get go its unfair to expect everyone to be able to pass at the level that Lil Johnny has achieved.
Lets not even bring up the fact that the Tyrell's school's board members steal tens of thousands of dollars from the school's budget every year. The Principal has to have his 24's with spinners on his Escalade. Instead of having computers in the classroom Tyrell and Paco have to share ditto papers. This is so rediculous because they know Tyrell's gang and Paco's gang don't get along.
I've come to the conclusion that Ca is just F'ed up. The ACLU should sue the school board for providing a lame education, but, I think they want Ingles' to be tought as a second language.
Just my .02 :crossx:
That's some funny schit! :D
Another thing I just thought of... since we're on the ca education system subject... how come english speaking kids have to pass a second language to graduate... but spanish speaking kids don't even have to speak English to pass? WTF! :mad:

a catered life
05-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Another thing I just thought of... since we're on the ca education system subject... how come english speaking kids have to pass a second language to graduate... but spanish speaking kids don't even have to speak English to pass? WTF! :mad:
finally someone with a brain :p

JB in so cal
05-18-2006, 12:46 PM
The so called High School Exit Exam is actually based on stuff kids should have learned IN JUNIOR HIGH!!!!!
With no kids in the school system, my tax money goes to edumacatin' a bunch of illegal duesch bags! :220v:

SHOTKALLIN
05-18-2006, 01:08 PM
The so called High School Exit Exam is actually based on stuff kids should have learned IN JUNIOR HIGH!!!!!
With no kids in the school system, my tax money goes to edumacatin' a bunch of illegal duesch bags! :220v:
where are you getting these stats??? just curious. My best friend (UCLA GRAD Teacher with Masters deg.) said it was not easy to pass. He took the test and he said he got an 80%. Maybe my friend is just stupid....but I doubt it.

SHOTKALLIN
05-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Funny but not Fiction
sad to say

Waldo
05-18-2006, 01:22 PM
The Exit exam tests 8th grade math skills and 10th grade reading skills. Passing score is only 50% mastery for each section. A student has numerous chances to pass the test starting their sophomore year.
My special education students are expected to pass the exam as well regardless of their disability. If there are any accomodation/modifications used (approved by federal law) then their test is void and they will not receive a diploma. I'm proud to say...several of my previous students, that have serious learning disabilities, have had the drive to take the test many times over in order to pass (even when it wasn't counted yet!).
It seems everything the Man does these days is deemed "discriminatory or racial"...if certain demographics are unsuccessful, unmotivated, daddy-didn't-love-me, or singled out (i.e. illegal aliens, I mean immigrants).
Whatever! This state has too many issues to count. Who should be the new Gov??? :220v:

SHOTKALLIN
05-18-2006, 01:23 PM
Who is the authority that we need to ask this Question???

Mrs. casean
05-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Who is the authority that we need to ask this Question???
I don't know!!! I'd really like to know. I think we have a right to have this question answered. I'll address it if anyone can tell me who could answer it. :mad:

Mrs. casean
05-18-2006, 01:28 PM
The Exit exam tests 8th grade math skills and 10th grade reading skills. Passing score is only 50% mastery for each section. A student has numerous chances to pass the test starting their sophomore year.
My special education students are expected to pass the exam as well regardless of their disability. If there are any accomodation/modifications used (approved by federal law) then their test is void and they will not receive a diploma. I'm proud to say...several of my previous students, that have serious learning disabilities, have had the drive to take the test many times over in order to pass (even when it wasn't counted yet!).
It seems everything the Man does these days is deemed "discriminatory or racial"...if certain demographics are unsuccessful, unmotivated, daddy-didn't-love-me, or singled out (i.e. illegal aliens, I mean immigrants).
Whatever! This state has too many issues to count. Who should be the new Gov??? :220v:
That is sooo great about your students! If disabled students can pass, everything should.

cdog
05-18-2006, 01:41 PM
I took guitar class in High school instead of a foreign language for credits. My wife graduated from U of A on the Deans list and had spanish as her foreign language. She even had the advance classes. Her Grandfather and Dad are from Chile. She cannot speak spanish today. :rolleyes: I can still play Jane Says. :rollside: I got kicked out of spanish class for asking "why do I have to learn how to speak to the gardener?" :crossx:
Parents should be asking the same question. Your kids should be learning Japanese or Chinese. That's the future.

Mrs. casean
05-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I took guitar class in High school instead of a foreign language for credits. My wife graduated from U of A on the Deans list and had spanish as her foreign language. She even had the advance classes. Her Grandfather and Dad are from Chile. She cannot speak spanish today. :rolleyes: I can still play Jane Says. :rollside: I got kicked out of spanish class for asking "why do I have to learn how to speak to the gardener?" :crossx:
Parents should be asking the same question. Your kids should be learning Japanese or Chinese. That's the future.
I took it, never said I could use it though :D I agree, kids should take Japanese, Chinese, French.... etc... and sign language :D
Considering the primary language in America is English, all kids should have to be able to speak, read and write it upon graduating high school regardless of their nationality. Although English doesn't seem to be the primary language anymore around here :mad:
I really would like to know why... :idea:

MRS FLYIN VEE
05-18-2006, 01:46 PM
I am so glad we are fortunate enough to send our kids to private school. I couldn't deal with all the BS the public school system does to these kids who are our future. It really makes me angry. :mad:

Mrs. casean
05-18-2006, 02:09 PM
I've answered my own question... this is why I had to take a foreign language and thought everyone had to:
Requirements:
One year of either visual and performing arts or foreign language is required to graduate... if you want to go to a CSU college, 2 years foreign language is required.
So I guess ESL is the foreign language for Spanish Speaking kids but from what I remember in High School, they could hardly speak english even in Senior Year after taking it for 3 years previously... I'm not a teacher so I do not know the rules there, but I still think they must have to be able to speak, read and write English fluently. Maybe they are suppose to and it's not as enforced as it should be, or they just forget it right after they get ahold of their diploma. Who knows. Like I said, I'm not a teacher so I do not know the rules... just going off what I hear and see as I interned at a high school and around California flooded with non-english speaking people. Okay, I've vented. :mad:

cdog
05-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Our kids will be going to private school. (Someday when we have some.) By the time they hit High school and go to public they will be way advanced. Mabey it will save us some college $$$. Those kids that get the dumb version of the tests are being cheated by society and will be doomed to flipping fries.

JB in so cal
05-18-2006, 04:19 PM
where are you getting these stats??? just curious. My best friend (UCLA GRAD Teacher with Masters deg.) said it was not easy to pass. He took the test and he said he got an 80%. Maybe my friend is just stupid....but I doubt it.
Waldo says...
He's a teacher and all...The OC Register has had numerous articles/letter to Ed, etc. It's not too tough from what I understand. I don't have kids, so I could give a rat's ass. I'd just like my tax money going into actual education.

FullUp
05-18-2006, 04:38 PM
Our kids will be going to private school. (Someday when we have some.) By the time they hit High school and go to public they will be way advanced. Mabey it will save us some college $$$. Those kids that get the dumb version of the tests are being cheated by society and will be doomed to flipping fries.
You wish flipping fries. Try welfare! :mad:

Boatcop
05-18-2006, 04:49 PM
The following is a start to an article in the Arizona Republic yesterday:
Perla Espinoza is 18 and a senior in high school. Perla wants to go to college and get a good job, but she hasn't passed any portion of AIMS. "The requirement that she pass the AIMS test to graduate and receive a diploma stands in her way," we're told. If Perla wants to go to college and get a good job, which of the following courses of action should she pursue:
A. Take advantage of the state's offer of 90 hours of free one-on-one tutoring and retake the test in July.
B. Remain in high school for another year.
C. Go to community college, which does not require a diploma, and take remedial courses.
D. Sue.
Answer: Do you even need to ask?
Read the whole article here: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0517roberts0517.html

Jesster
05-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Who is this shotkallin dumba$$. Lets just dumb down the whole system for a bunch of kids that don’t belong in the system anyway. Talk about taking over the state without firing a shot. Because of the Mexican over breading problem there won’t be a school that’s less than 60% Hispanic in 10 years (assumption).
Now let’s talk about all the kids that don’t have it so good at home. I feel for those kids, but does that mean everybody should suffer for the few? Are you communist? Get a clue, if you take the challenge out of the system what is there for kids to shoot for? You could say that the ones that need it will strive and do better, but that’s not competition and that’s what makes this country great.
If you start by saying you can all graduate where do you go next, the ACLU will say why should Johnny graduate college with a degree it makes Paco feel bad so lets just give Paco a college scholarship so he can sit on his a$$ and not pass anything because he had a bad life, then let him graduate with the same degree that Johnny has so they can both shoot for the same job. Well we know who will get the job and who won’t pay back the scholarship and will probably live on welfare the rest of their life because people like you said they shouldn’t be held to the same standards. Are the standards going to leave some kids behind? Yes, but it will be far fewer than if you just let them get by doing nothing.
All these people want to complain about under funding of the CA school system but if you remove all of the fricken illegals we would have the lowest teacher/student ratio on the US and enough time to teach the ones that need more attention. My wife is a Special education teacher in a school that was just forced to redistrict. Last year they were the highest scoring school in the district as far as the federal testing goes but only had about a 15% Hispanic population. This year because of the influx of illegals into areas that are now part of the new district they will be lucky to be above the min requirement mostly because of all the kids that the teaches have to slow down or halt regular teaching methods for. She had about 12-15 special ed students per track in need of intervention and help, now she has 32. The entire problem is not illegals but they exacerbate the problem to the point of the system being unable to function the way it was designed.
I just thank god I didn’t have to go to school in this state, not saying there aren’t or weren’t good schools but I want better than a shot at a good school.
I guess the thing that makes me the most angry is that I pay a lot of taxes that go to an education system that I have no faith in and refuse to let my kids utilize. So we pay more money out of our pocket to send them to private school. I do appreciate the fact that we can afford to do that, but we shouldn’t have to afford it, it is something that should come with being a tax payer. Here's a good place to plug the voucher system at least then I would have control over the money I pay for my kid’s education not the communist system in place now.
Sorry for the rant but when I see somebody talking out their you know what it pi$$es me off.
Now go ahead, give it to me,I can take it, and you will still be wrong.

Seadog
05-19-2006, 05:38 AM
I get bent out of shape over how the legal system has screwed up our education. I have seen to many cases where the majority of students are suffering due to the few. The curriculum too hard for one, dumb down the program. It would be embarassing to send that one student to remedial classes. So most of the students wind up twiddling their thumbs while a few get all the attention.
There is no reason that a student with an IQ of 75 should be in a class with students with IQs above 125. You cannot make people equal, you can only give them equal opportunities. I would like to see education get away from its current structure and develop one that allows students to move with their performance. The age criteria is bogus. My best friend as a kid was only two weeks younger than me. If his BD had been the next day, he would have been a year behind me in school. I spent most of my school days as the youngest one in class. I felt sorry for some of the classmates who were on the other end of the spectrum because they often felt out of place with the other kids.

a catered life
05-19-2006, 06:47 AM
I get bent out of shape over how the legal system has screwed up our education. I have seen to many cases where the majority of students are suffering due to the few. The curriculum too hard for one, dumb down the program. It would be embarassing to send that one student to remedial classes. So most of the students wind up twiddling their thumbs while a few get all the attention.
There is no reason that a student with an IQ of 75 should be in a class with students with IQs above 125. You cannot make people equal, you can only give them equal opportunities. I would like to see education get away from its current structure and develop one that allows students to move with their performance. The age criteria is bogus. My best friend as a kid was only two weeks younger than me. If his BD had been the next day, he would have been a year behind me in school. I spent most of my school days as the youngest one in class. I felt sorry for some of the classmates who were on the other end of the spectrum because they often felt out of place with the other kids.
dont mean to be rude but maybe i missed something but what does age and IQ have to do with the exit exam........

Seadog
05-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Because we place students in classes according to age and it is a poor way of judging ability to learn. Yet we look at IQ, and other factors, but do not adequately use them to place the kids. If we really wanted to have well educated kids, we would start earlier, administer IQ and practical application exams regularly and develop a system that would place students according to their ability to learn.

a catered life
05-19-2006, 11:27 AM
it seems to me that your are focusing on IQ a lot when most of the real world doesnt care about that...its the job of the parent to arm their kids with the tools to make a impact in their lives with the hopes of surviving this world...the education system is just a tool to assist with that job.... there are other choices a parents can take to give their child a upper hand with this... one choice is private school

Seadog
05-19-2006, 01:19 PM
IQ is a tool. It has to be administered with other means of measuring a students ability to function in class. I also agree wholeheartedly that parential involvement is critical. This is why we should start earlier. We should also mandate parential involvement, or some form of making sure that the kids get proper care and help at home. The ACLU be danged, I hate seeing the dregs of society popping kids out and then ignoring them. And it is even worse when these low lifes are well-to-do. If we have standards for everything else, we should have standards for parenting. If it was feasible, I would sterilize every baby and then when someone wanted to have kids they would have to be x-years old and show proof of mental suitability before getting the procedure reversed. Nice pipedream, but would never pass legal or ethical roadblocks, not to mention the other problems it would create.

buzzaro
05-19-2006, 02:58 PM
IQ is a tool. It has to be administered with other means of measuring a students ability to function in class. I also agree wholeheartedly that parential involvement is critical. This is why we should start earlier. We should also mandate parential involvement, or some form of making sure that the kids get proper care and help at home. The ACLU be danged, I hate seeing the dregs of society popping kids out and then ignoring them. And it is even worse when these low lifes are well-to-do. If we have standards for everything else, we should have standards for parenting. If it was feasible, I would sterilize every baby and then when someone wanted to have kids they would have to be x-years old and show proof of mental suitability before getting the procedure reversed. Nice pipedream, but would never pass legal or ethical roadblocks, not to mention the other problems it would create.
Functioning at a certain class level doesnt matter, the whole point of school is to get you ready for real life which only functions at one level. Its sink or swim, youve got to get to 2nd grade eventually. I do agree with the parenting part though, its time that people take responsibility for their own lives in all areas including raising their children.

coolchange
05-19-2006, 05:57 PM
This exit exam really fries my hide. If I work all week am I required to do it all again to get paid? If I pass all my classes why am I required to take a test to prove I passed all my classes. If they are making you go to school and receive credits to graduate AND take the exit exam to get a diploma, Shouldn't I be able to just CHALLENGE the exam and forgo the whole High School process?

Seadog
05-19-2006, 06:21 PM
In real life, if you excel at a job, you get moved up the ladder. If you goof off, or do not meet goals, you do not get promoted. Sounds like real life to me.
I can work hard all week, but if I do not do all the paperwork or meet certain requirements, I don't get paid. Everyone is expected to 'pass' life's training.

Jesster
05-19-2006, 07:08 PM
In real life, if you excel at a job, you get moved up the ladder. If you goof off, or do not meet goals, you do not get promoted. Sounds like real life to me.
I can work hard all week, but if I do not do all the paperwork or meet certain requirements, I don't get paid. Everyone is expected to 'pass' life's training.
Great analogy Seadog!
Here is another.
I graduated High School and took a test to see where I stood to get in the Navy.
I studied and took tests to see when and if I would be promoted in the Navy. With every promotion I was tested on a lot of the same info from the previous testing.
I got out of the Navy and was tested on much of the High school education to see where I was placed to get into college. When I graduated College I was tested on most of that to get into Chiropractic College. During Chiro School I was required to take National Boards on 3 separate occasions to test my knowledge of the things I had learned in school. And upon graduation was required to take one last National board exam to make sure I had learned what I was required to.
I then decided upon a state to practice in, and was required to take one last (or so I thought) exam to practice in that state on the information I learned in Chiro College. Now every year I am required to renew certain parts of my education and take continuing education classes to make sure I keep up.
Tell me that life only requires you to prove yourself once.
As far as the Challenge part goes, you are allowed to test out of certain classes in college, if you can.
And aside from all that with all the cheating that goes on in high school do you really think a lot of these kids are getting the minimum required to graduate. I don’t.

SHOTKALLIN
05-19-2006, 07:46 PM
Who is this shotkallin dumba$$. Lets just dumb down the whole system for a bunch of kids that don’t belong in the system anyway. Talk about taking over the state without firing a shot. Because of the Mexican over breading problem there won’t be a school that’s less than 60% Hispanic in 10 years (assumption).
Now let’s talk about all the kids that don’t have it so good at home. I feel for those kids, but does that mean everybody should suffer for the few? Are you communist? Get a clue, if you take the challenge out of the system what is there for kids to shoot for? You could say that the ones that need it will strive and do better, but that’s not competition and that’s what makes this country great.
If you start by saying you can all graduate where do you go next, the ACLU will say why should Johnny graduate college with a degree it makes Paco feel bad so lets just give Paco a college scholarship so he can sit on his a$$ and not pass anything because he had a bad life, then let him graduate with the same degree that Johnny has so they can both shoot for the same job. Well we know who will get the job and who won’t pay back the scholarship and will probably live on welfare the rest of their life because people like you said they shouldn’t be held to the same standards. Are the standards going to leave some kids behind? Yes, but it will be far fewer than if you just let them get by doing nothing.
All these people want to complain about under funding of the CA school system but if you remove all of the fricken illegals we would have the lowest teacher/student ratio on the US and enough time to teach the ones that need more attention. My wife is a Special education teacher in a school that was just forced to redistrict. Last year they were the highest scoring school in the district as far as the federal testing goes but only had about a 15% Hispanic population. This year because of the influx of illegals into areas that are now part of the new district they will be lucky to be above the min requirement mostly because of all the kids that the teaches have to slow down or halt regular teaching methods for. She had about 12-15 special ed students per track in need of intervention and help, now she has 32. The entire problem is not illegals but they exacerbate the problem to the point of the system being unable to function the way it was designed.
I just thank god I didn’t have to go to school in this state, not saying there aren’t or weren’t good schools but I want better than a shot at a good school.
I guess the thing that makes me the most angry is that I pay a lot of taxes that go to an education system that I have no faith in and refuse to let my kids utilize. So we pay more money out of our pocket to send them to private school. I do appreciate the fact that we can afford to do that, but we shouldn’t have to afford it, it is something that should come with being a tax payer. Here's a good place to plug the voucher system at least then I would have control over the money I pay for my kid’s education not the communist system in place now.
Sorry for the rant but when I see somebody talking out their you know what it pi$$es me off.
Now go ahead, give it to me,I can take it, and you will still be wrong.
Jesster...even though you live in a FANTASY world I'll still buy you a beer when I meet you. You don't even know me and you wanna call me a Dumbass. That post was meant to be sarcastic. It also holds a bit of reality in it. I wouldn't call half of the L.A. unified or any other inner city area district just a few kids.
By the way, where do you think these illegals are gonna go? Our soft a$$ Senate cant even agree to build a wall. The democrats voted against it along with 18 so called republicans. I got news for you. They aint leavin...ever. The best we can hope for is that the government gives them a background check and forces them to learn English. (Another JOKE! Like that will ever happen.) They will eventually get some watered down version of amnesty. Call it what you will, guest worker program...etc. Did you hear Bush's speech Monday? He mentioned a guest worker program where they go home at the end of their visa. JOKE!!! Who will make them go home? They can't wont and refuse to keep people from comming in today. They won't agree to build a fence. The fence may not be a solution but its a Damn good start. At least then they could contain the areas that are illegaly crossed. The uncrossable areas would need less enforcement. How hard is it for those morons in Washington to figure out.
Here is the solution. Build three chain link fences. Just like at a prison. Razor wire the outside fences and ELECTRIFY the middle one. This would solve 80% of the problem. :crossx:

coolchange
05-19-2006, 08:22 PM
So you work all week and do your paper work and meet the requirements, Then later you are required to do it again to prove you did it right the first time?

Jesster
05-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Jesster...even though you live in a FANTASY world I'll still buy you a beer when I meet you. You don't even know me and you wanna call me a Dumbass. That post was meant to be sarcastic. It also holds a bit of reality in it. I wouldn't call half of the L.A. unified or any other inner city area district just a few kids.
By the way, where do you think these illegals are gonna go? Our soft a$$ Senate cant even agree to build a wall. The democrats voted against it along with 18 so called republicans. I got news for you. They aint leavin...ever. The best we can hope for is that the government gives them a background check and forces them to learn English. (Another JOKE! Like that will ever happen.) They will eventually get some watered down version of amnesty. Call it what you will, guest worker program...etc. Did you hear Bush's speech Monday? He mentioned a guest worker program where they go home at the end of their visa. JOKE!!! Who will make them go home? They can't wont and refuse to keep people from comming in today. They won't agree to build a fence. The fence may not be a solution but its a Damn good start. At least then they could contain the areas that are illegaly crossed. The uncrossable areas would need less enforcement. How hard is it for those morons in Washington to figure out.
Here is the solution. Build three chain link fences. Just like at a prison. Razor wire the outside fences and ELECTRIFY the middle one. This would solve 80% of the problem. :crossx:
:rolleyes: Well don’t I feel like a dumba$$, no pun intended. I apologize for calling you a dumba$$. Looking back at your post it could be taken either way, and I did wonder at the time. And if you were stating your actual views I would still call you the same thing. :crossx: I wish it wasn’t a fantasy world, it should be a common sense world but the politicians drag us all down to their own personal level of idiocy. I also agree wholeheartedly on the fence issue. When I do meet you buy me a beer then I will buy you 3 and we will be even for the dumba$$ comment. :)

Seadog
05-21-2006, 07:37 AM
So you work all week and do your paper work and meet the requirements, Then later you are required to do it again to prove you did it right the first time?
Ever hear of an audit? Or a review? Happens all the time. Many profession require that you retake an exam every year or X years to continue the right to perform certain duties. I for one, would approve of re-examinations for drivers licences every ten years. LIfe is a constant exam, and we often do not get second chances.

coolchange
05-21-2006, 10:24 AM
We're not talking about staying current with technology or legal issues or changing market place dynamics. Last time I checked 2+2 still =4, and sentence structure has stayed pretty consistant.
Unless you count Ebonics... :rollside:

Jesster
05-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Coolchange, if you think everybody learns what they need to in school why are there so many kids failing the exam. They are obviously not getting what they need.
I mean the thing is pretty straight forward, they only want to make sure kids are graduating with at least the math skills of an 8th grader and the reading skills of a 10th grader. This in my opinion is pathetic if they can’t pass that.
Our tax dollars are spent on the education of these kids and in my opinion they need to be held accountable for the waste. If they can’t pass a basic test that I paid for, then no diploma.
Why give them something for nothing?
This is a way to pinpoint problem areas, if the kids can’t pass then it’s the system or it’s the kids\parents and somebody needs to be held accountable.
It would be doing the kids a disservice to give them a diploma for an education they obviously did not receive.

coolchange
05-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Coolchange, if you think everybody learns what they need to in school why are there so many kids failing the exam. They are obviously not getting what they need.
I mean the thing is pretty straight forward, they only want to make sure kids are graduating with at least the math skills of an 8th grader and the reading skills of a 10th grader. This in my opinion is pathetic if they can’t pass that.
Our tax dollars are spent on the education of these kids and in my opinion they need to be held accountable for the waste. If they can’t pass a basic test that I paid for, then no diploma.
Why give them something for nothing?
This is a way to pinpoint problem areas, if the kids can’t pass then it’s the system or it’s the kids\parents and somebody needs to be held accountable.
It would be doing the kids a disservice to give them a diploma for an education they obviously did not receive.
Exactly. Sort of. If you fail algebra you don't graduate. If you pass it but don't pass the test you get a completion of high school cert. not a diploma. It's redundant. And a waste. Then you can go on to a community college and get a AA or just do some time and the whole thing doesn't mean anything. At a time when the arts and special programs are cut its just more money to spend on accountabilty AFTER the fact. Do it right the FIRST time.