PDA

View Full Version : One for the Chrysler guys

Kindsvater Flat
07-29-2003, 10:01 PM
If you're running a 440 I would like to know what your oil pressure is at idle and at 5k.
Mine is 85 at 1dle and 100 at 5k.

FastTimmy
07-29-2003, 10:03 PM
Holy Shit!! cry Thats gota hert! Do those things need that much?

Kurtis500
07-29-2003, 10:41 PM
80 psi at idle on 383, Slightly more at higher rpm.

Moneypitt
07-29-2003, 11:09 PM
That's an awful lot of pressure!!!!My sons 383 jet stays around 50 at rpm and idles around 35, 30 when hot. 80 lbs is sucking alot of horsepower, Didn't I hear you say you played with the bypass spring? Really, you don't need that much pressure, high volume maybe, but 30-50 or 60 cold is more than enough, in my opinion. I can't remember any real expert info for the mopar wedge, but the BBC experts talk about 30 as plenty. anything more is wasting HP. My .02.....Moneypitt

LakesOnly
07-30-2003, 07:15 AM
Kindsvater Flat:
If you're running a 440 I would like to know what your oil pressure is at idle and at 5k.
Mine is 85 at 1dle and 100 at 5k. I thnik this is too much o/p.
LO

Blown 472
07-30-2003, 07:28 AM
My 440 in my car idles 40 wt hot at 35 to 40 and 60 to 70 at 6k.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
07-30-2003, 07:47 AM
100psi can wipe your bearings. What weight oil are you running?
Omega

07-30-2003, 08:53 AM
Damn, Mike Thats alot of pressure. Doesn't the old rule of thumb of 10lbs per thousand rpms apply here? Even the Ford FEs can live with alot less, 60-65lbs works fine. [contrary to past beliefs of FEs] Does the 440 have a restricted system that requires that much pressure? Is there any modifications that can be done to get it to flow better? Too much oil pressure has several effects such as heating the oil too much, wear on the cam/dist. gear, more power to turn the pump, posssibly 'washing' the bearings out and lack of oil control due to excessive oil thrown on the cylinders and past the valve guides. I'd find a way to get the pressure down to a more manageable limit.

BiggusJimbus
07-30-2003, 11:33 AM
Are you getting those numbers off a mechanical guage?
Before you go nuts, make sure you are getting accurate info.
Good Luck.

LakesOnly
07-30-2003, 12:44 PM
058:
Damn, Mike Thats alot of pressure. Doesn't the old rule of thumb of 10lbs per thousand rpms apply here? Even the Ford FEs can live with alot less, 60-65lbs works fine. [contrary to past beliefs of FEs] Does the 440 have a restricted system that requires that much pressure? Is there any modifications that can be done to get it to flow better? Too much oil pressure has several effects such as heating the oil too much, wear on the cam/dist. gear, more power to turn the pump, posssibly 'washing' the bearings out and lack of oil control due to excessive oil thrown on the cylinders and past the valve guides. I'd find a way to get the pressure down to a more manageable limit. Yeah, what he said....
LO

wsuwrhr
07-30-2003, 03:50 PM
You are using Milodon's system if I remember from your pictures. Their setup is way too high, you need to use a lighter spring. I would say 35-40 at idle, and no more than 80 psi unless you are running over 7500RPMs. 100 will blow your filter off soon.
Brian

Kindsvater Flat
07-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Ya I'm using the Milodon setup. I added the shims in the relief when I was trying to find the internal leak. Found and fixed the leak with new lifters and removed the shims. Readings were from 2 different mechanical guages. Both read the same. I put the spring from my old pump and the pressure is still the same.

Moneypitt
07-30-2003, 07:16 PM
KF, wasn't there an issue with the lifter reliefs leaking internally? And you fixed it by using lifters wo/ the relief, are the new lifters closing down the circulation forward through the lifter galleys, and possibly starving the rocker shafts, while the pressure builds up behind the lifters. Mopar pushrods are solid, so you can't tell if the lifters are actually oiling, or gauling in the lifter bores. When the motor ran before this, (before the first cam /lifter change), what was the normal oil pressure? And what was changed to drive it so high even after the shim was removed from the bypass. Just my .02...Moneypitt

Kindsvater Flat
07-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Moneypitt:
KF, wasn't there an issue with the lifter reliefs leaking internally? And you fixed it by using lifters wo/ the relief, are the new lifters closing down the circulation forward through the lifter galleys, and possibly starving the rocker shafts, while the pressure builds up behind the lifters. Mopar pushrods are solid, so you can't tell if the lifters are actually oiling, or gauling in the lifter bores. When the motor ran before this, (before the first cam /lifter change), what was the normal oil pressure? And what was changed to drive it so high even after the shim was removed from the bypass. Just my .02...Moneypitt Yes the lifters were leaking and the guy at Isky has seen it numerous times. I bought a set of solids without the reliefs like the previous cam had. I'm getting plenty of oil on top because when I pull the valve covers oil went everywhere. StageVI heads don't return the oil all that well. Some oil sits right at gasket level. Before the cam and lifter change Back in May. Normal pressure was 85psi, has been for the past 4 yrs. They only change after removing the shim was the lifter change. Other than that its normal. I've been tossing this subject around on the Mopar boards and most of there pressures run the same.

MoparSanger
07-30-2003, 11:45 PM
Kindsvater Flat, I run a duel pickup oil system in my 440 with a custom pan that holds 13qts. At 210º-230ºF the oil is 45psi at 900rpms and then 75psi from 1200rpm on up. I tried a high pressure spring and got over 100psi so I install the stock spring and it working great. one thing that is nice about the mopar BB you can change the spring in about 5 min. I would not run over 80psi.

roostwear
07-31-2003, 01:09 PM
The parner I used to drag race with had a RB Challenger, and had pressure around 100 at higher RPM. Used to regularly oil down West St. by Disneyland, and OCIR blowing oil filters wide open!