PDA

View Full Version : Still No Spark!!!!

QuickCheetah
05-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Just got the new Mallory Ignition module..put it in and still not firing...im ready to take a hammer to the damn thing...but i know that will cost me more money....i have replaced all the ignition parts...new coil, cap, rotor, and now this $91 find dollar module.....there has got to be a better way of doing this!!!!

FASTRAT
05-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Just got the new Mallory Ignition module..put it in and still not firing...im ready to take a hammer to the damn thing...but i know that will cost me more money....i have replaced all the ignition parts...new coil, cap, rotor, and now this $91 find dollar module.....there has got to be a better way of doing this!!!!
it sounds to me that ur not getting juice to the distributer...maybe u need to re-ck all the wireing etc from start to finish...this is why i run a mag!...never have had a starting or any other kind of prob
fastrat

Beer-30
05-18-2006, 11:12 AM
I am coming into this late, so this may have been checked already; but did you disconnect the power-in to the coil and test it during he start cycle? Maybe your ign switch is not providing 12V during start. Or, is it hooked to the starter solenoid?

Sanger Jet
05-18-2006, 11:13 AM
Msd !!!

JESSE
05-18-2006, 12:23 PM
man i had one of those mallory comp 9000 that thig blow that module all the
time. i was told that if you get less then 12 volts to that thing it will blow every time. good luck

1975sleekcraft
05-18-2006, 02:08 PM
i've heard--bad things--bad things-- about mallory--from people who sell them.
i guess they are putting plastic bushings in them and other faulty stuff (i'd have to look back into it)!!!

BrendellaJet
05-18-2006, 03:03 PM
if you sell millions of ignition units there are going to be a few problems. For Mallory & MSD both! Check the wiring and even replace it to eliminate it as a concern.

beerjet
05-18-2006, 04:42 PM
I think now would be a great time to go through as much if not all the wiring as you do not want to run into this problem while on the water . It might get fired up quiker too .
-beerjet-

poncho-pwr
05-18-2006, 04:51 PM
I would first make sure your ignition switch is providing 12 volts and hooked up properly.

QuickCheetah
05-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I just said F*ck it, im picking up the new motor MOnday and its got and HEI already dialed in..all i have to do is install it and its done...

beerjet
05-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I just said F*ck it, im picking up the new motor MOnday and its got and HEI already dialed in..all i have to do is install it and its done...
BIG CHEVY :idea:

QuickCheetah
05-18-2006, 05:07 PM
Im not a Chevy guy!!!!!!!!!

beerjet
05-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Im not a Chevy guy!!!!!!!!!
I know , I know , but it sure makes finding parts alot easier.

beerjet
05-18-2006, 05:38 PM
Is it a ford?!?!:crossx:
Can't you see the man is tryin to move forward. :hammer2:

QuickCheetah
05-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Its an Olds 455

Moneypitt
05-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Just hotwire it direct and crank it, see if you get a spark. If you do, its in the power supplied,(12 volt) if you don't its down stream from there.....As mentioned, maybe the switch doesn't supply 12 volts during CRANKING, so the hot wire WILL..........If that is the problem. These problems must be approached from a elimination stand point, eliminate each possibility as you go, and you will find the problem. The mistake alot of people make is to replace too much at a time. One thing at a time, then move one to the next one thing........by pass possible problems,(switch), then resistor, etc etc ...........MP

junkyardhunter
05-18-2006, 06:12 PM
are you running an HEI if you are you might want to check the pickup its that thing under the rotor.if you think you dont have power to the dist wire it direct to your battery and see if it works. this is a very simple set up

QuickCheetah
05-18-2006, 06:24 PM
its a Mallory Unilite...I may go to the wrecking yard tomorrow and see if i can find an HEI...but im picking up the new 455 on Monday so i may just say F8CK it....

AzMandella
05-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Not to be rude but Unilites are crap.either put a MSD ready to run dist or a mag in it.I run a full MSD (M6,billit dist,coil) and have only had one or two problems with it or the AL 7's that we ran in our Super Latemodels in the last 15 yrs.If you dont run a alternator I'd run a Mag.

Sticky Fingers
05-18-2006, 07:32 PM
When I first got my boat it had a mallory unilite and a block to drop down voltage like on a old points setup. Right or wrong don't know but it worked till I put in a spark box and got rid of it. P.S. The light is the least of your problems, the rest of the internal parts wear out quickly.

beerjet
05-18-2006, 08:09 PM
its a Mallory Unilite...I may go to the wrecking yard tomorrow and see if i can find an HEI...but im picking up the new 455 on Monday so i may just say F8CK it....
You will be plenty safe with the HEI .
Cant wait to see how this goes for ya :crossx:
keep us informed. Or me at least.
-beerjet-

MACHINEHEAD
05-18-2006, 10:50 PM
RESIST THE COIL ONLY. The unilite AND their mag pick up require a full 12v to the red lead! Never had a failure with either types! Mallory mag pickup for marine use $250, resister $12, electronic mallory coil $44. High school elec. class-priceless Thanks Mr. Wolf :220v:

MikeF
05-19-2006, 04:15 AM
High school elec. class-priceless Thanks Mr. Wolf :220v:
Yep. Gotta learn more about the systems.........then you can throw more money at it! :crossx:

Squirtcha?
05-19-2006, 07:53 AM
i've heard--bad things--bad things-- about mallory--from people who sell them.
i guess they are putting plastic bushings in them and other faulty stuff (i'd have to look back into it)!!!
I've run a Mallory unilite without a box for years without a problem. Lots of trips to the lake and river where I'd start and drive my boat while others ran around looking for a replacement MSD box. It always starts with just a bump of the key.
My buddy runs one too. Also without problems.
The only problem I've heard about with the Mallory unilites is the single thickness rollpin for the distributor gear. Between my buddy's boat and mine we've got 11-12 years worth of running on the stock pins.

R.A.D.man
05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Had a similar situation with a Unilite Comp 9000. Turned out to be my ignition key switch. In start poisition, no juice was going through ignition poisition. As soon as I let off the start key, key would go to ignition poisition and send signal to coil etc. Sometimes I got lucky, and it would just start from the momentum of the rotating assembly. When I would test it, I tested the power supply in the ignition poisition so all looked good. It was a pain. I think others have made good suggestions with hooking up direct power. If it starts, it could be your key switch. Also, here is a link to the Mallory wiring diagram for the Unilite. You do need a resistor, but it goes between the coil positive and the red unilite module wire. Full 12v also goes to the red module wire as shown and as previously mentioned. I still run the Unilite and have never lost a module for it (8 years). I now have an ignition box too on the setup and it has never stopped.
http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/Unilite_Wiring.pdf

1975sleekcraft
05-19-2006, 05:10 PM
I've run a Mallory unilite without a box for years without a problem. Lots of trips to the lake and river where I'd start and drive my boat while others ran around looking for a replacement MSD box. It always starts with just a bump of the key.
My buddy runs one too. Also without problems.
The only problem I've heard about with the Mallory unilites is the single thickness rollpin for the distributor gear. Between my buddy's boat and mine we've got 11-12 years worth of running on the stock pins.
the truth be known-i run an older mallory yl 50 series (points) first bump every time.
the problems that i've heard of are inferior plastic bearings in their newer models! thought i had heard something else but cant remember.