PDA

View Full Version : Eliminator Jakuzzi WJ jet questions

kingsransomracing
05-18-2006, 11:31 AM
My friend has a eliminator jet boat...I think its an early 70's or so??
Anyway, it has a jakuzzi WJ jet with a 455 olds.
Question:
The jet has a lot of slop on the steering area and being that old I can only assume that all the seals are shot. When the boat get up to about 40mph it starts bouncing, someone had mentioned that a worn jet could cause this. something to do with the jet not having enough efficenecy to keep the boat on a plane? is this possible? and my second question is, he can get a rebuild kit for the jet, how difficult is it to rebuild it, does the jet have to come out of the boat? with the motor out the entire jet is accesible..thoughts??
Thanks,
Mike

SmokinLowriderSS
05-18-2006, 02:03 PM
If I recall correctly, the WJ is the "good" mixed flow pump. Yes you can get a rebuild kit, quite a few places, here's one: North American Marine Jet. The owners of Jacuzzi aparently.
http://www.marinejet.com/view/39
I would think you mean it's "bouncing" to be porposing, the nose rises and falls repeatedly. Over 40 MPH is far and away "on plane", by about 20 mph or so. Is there a metal plate below the pump ( a "ride plate")? If so, try adjusting the back edge of it down slightly. The jet, if it is aimed upward by a divertor or wedges to throw a tail, it will try to lift the nose for more speed. If it cannot lift it enough to be stable, it will porpose. Does his have such a nozzle trim device? I get the problem with full up on my divertor at below 4,000 RPM, above it settles on the ride plate and holds smooth. Below 4K I have to run less up divertor.
It is pretty easy to rebuild one, but since I have a similar Berkeley, but not an exact Jac, I cannot give much advice there. I would think the engine must come out (or at least move sideways) to get the pump shaft out (mine does). Try to get the impeller off first before taking the engine loose/out. That way it's spin resistance will help you loosen the impeller nut.
Good luck guys. :boxed:

kingsransomracing
05-18-2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks for all the info.
Yes..the boat has plates on it. We have adjusted them down and up and not much difference...it stopped bouncing when it was far enough down to actually make the front of the boat plow water :)
No diverter on it either.

malcolm
05-18-2006, 06:46 PM
You just gotta go faster mine stops around 50. ;)