PDA

View Full Version : Veh. Reg. in AZ live in CA??

sdpm
05-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Is is possible to reg. a used vehicle bought in CA and reg. it in AZ? We own a house in Havasu but are not perm. residents there. Just trying to avoid the sales tax if possible. Are AZ lic. fees lower than CA? Will I run into a hassel with insurance? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

dicudmore
05-19-2006, 08:45 AM
you can register it in AZ but you will probably need to have a policy written on it in AZ also. AZ reg fees may be lower than CA but close

Boatcop
05-19-2006, 11:10 AM
If you are a resident of California and own a vehicle it has to be registered in California.
UNLESS the vehicle never enters California. Even passing through on your way somewhere else, for repairs, visiting a friend, etc.
So, yes, you can avoid California Sales tax by registering in AZ, but realize that you will have to pay AZ sales tax, and the vehicle stays in AZ forever.

Old Man Havasu
05-19-2006, 03:21 PM
Have my Jeep registered in AZ. Had to get a policy from Mercury iNs in AZ. No problems. And the people at the DMV were freindly!!! How strange...

GetWetNM1
05-19-2006, 04:42 PM
Yes you can register the vehicle in AZ fees are cheaper in AZ than California-if you want insurance you will need your insurance card to show your address in AZ to register and you can get this done easily by showing you local water bill and insurance card-good luck

lakewake
05-19-2006, 06:01 PM
The advantage is no sales tax in AZ on used vehicle and boat sales. DMV is dirt cheap as well. I have my motorhome and boat registered in Az. I have property there but have never been asked by AZ DMV to show proof of residency. All of my titles and registration are in my home office address in California. Never been a problem. You will have to use an AZ insurance agent per AZ DOT. There rates are much higher for some reason. I think most of the problems arise with the finance companies requiring the finance address to match the registration. If you own the boat or equipment with clear title I assure you it will never become an issue.

Boatcop
05-19-2006, 07:34 PM
The advantage is no sales tax in AZ on used vehicle and boat sales.
Only in private party sales. If bought from a dealer, regular sales taxes apply.

lakewake
05-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Only in private party sales. If bought from a dealer, regular sales taxes apply.
You're right my mistake. Thanks for clarifying.

Flying Tiger
05-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Carerra Tony Lives in Glendora,, registered all his stuff in AZ,,, and got his paychex withheld by the State of Cali on the strength of the AZ registrations.
They kept his chex until he paid all the back boat, car and truck registrations,, all the penalties,, and all kinds of other fees and penalties.
It sucked what he and his new wifey went through clearing it up.
Then,, they ran another check, kicked it up a notch,, and his mom and dad went through the same hell.
The Simi Valley AAA office warned us not to do it. They see what happened to Carerra Tony all the time they told us.
What price contentment?
Tax's,, ya ain't gonna beat the system.
If ya wanna screw the Govt,, don't try to beat 'um with tax's..
-work for them instead.

slingingsmoke
05-20-2006, 07:27 AM
And the people at the DMV were freindly!!! How strange...
Its cuz all the customers speak ENGLISH!