PDA

View Full Version : Best Cat for under 90K?

24RODjr
11-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Thought I'd help out Sandbar Mike in his cat hunt...and answer a question that's been nagging me. Who makes the best 26' to 28' Cat for under 90K? We all know that no one gets the bottom-of-the-barrel engine or stereo, so that should be factored into the price.
I'm partial to the Magic's, but am open to other opinions.

rude235
11-05-2002, 10:05 PM
from what i've seen it's almost impossible to beat what force has going. i think with a 540 merlin they are still only running $75,000 or so. and i think they still come with a 6 month warranty.

unleashed
11-06-2002, 12:19 AM
I'd definitly have to agree that the Force is the best value for your money. Of course Im partial as I own a 29 cat.
I've seen a force with the 540 and he got 70mph out of it. Also seen a 29 force with a 598 and he was running about 90. Not sure what the boats are going for now but last I seen beginning of summer was upper 70's low 80's price wise. I heard they may be going up in price due to demand but not sure.
Other cats I like but a little expensive are:
Skaters(true tunnels)
DCB
magic
spectre
awesome
If you have the money you can't go wrong with the above mfg's.
I think the jury is still out on the force boats but I'd have to give them a thumbs up for the nice rigging, good performance, and fricken great price!
Oh yeah did I mention I love my boat???
I'd post a video of my boat but I dont know how to.
Deano
unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

roln 20s
11-06-2002, 02:03 AM
Yes, I would agree that Force seems to offer a great product for the price.
But the driving up of the prices is due to motors and stereos (and of course some other odd stuff).
Here is a rough estimate for you:
Howard 26 Cat- great boat and company, one of my favorites: base $72K
DCB 26 Cat- DCB..enough said: base around $70K
Magic 28 Cat- a great new boat by a good company- many people on this site have them now--check with Doghouse and pure magic: base $69K
A usual average for an HP 500EFI upgrade is around $18K- which puts all of these around $90ish!
Again- please do not hold me to any of these prices, but they are good estimates. In my research and reading of every magazine, it seems that you can get most 25-28 cats with HP 500 EFI for around $90K- these listed are just my short "must have" list.
Enjoy the shopping
Roln 20s

HavasuDreamin'
11-06-2002, 06:43 AM
Problem, is a 500efi is not enough. You would only see 75mph or so under every day operating conditions. I would hate to drop $90K in one of those rigs and get passed by a jetboat! :mad:
My question would be........."who makes the best cat in the 26' - 28' range that will run at least 85-90mph and cost less than $90K?"
Is it possible without buying used?

24RODjr
11-06-2002, 08:31 AM
Excellent question HD. Is there an 80+ 26' to 28' new cat out there?
I noticed no one mentioned the Ultra Shadow. It's one of my favorites for appearance, but....do you all know something I don't?
[ November 06, 2002, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: 24RODjr ]

THOR
11-06-2002, 08:38 AM
I have talked to the Force owner a few times. He is really knowledgeable and cool.
75K gets you the 26' Cat with a 540" Merlin that runs in the low 80's. I dont see any other boat that size for a comparable price.

Charley
11-06-2002, 08:38 AM
DCB.... period and you can still get it with some impressive power for under $90k....people think they are over or at least highly priced. I have always felt they are very compeititive ESPECIALLY if you compare Apples to Apples... you want to buy a boat intelligently? write down all the same features you want.... hand it to all the manufacturers you are considering.....drive the boats....pick yer favorite.... hand the lowest bid out of all the manufacturers to the owner of the boat you like best and ask him if he can match it! If he can he will.... owners like to sell boats :D

TOBTEK
11-06-2002, 08:47 AM
Charley:
DCB.... period and you can still get it with some impressive power for under $90k....people think they are over or at least highly priced. I have always felt they are very compeititive ESPECIALLY if you compare Apples to Apples... you want to buy a boat intelligently? write down all the same features you want.... hand it to all the manufacturers you are considering.....drive the boats....pick yer favorite.... hand the lowest bid out of all the manufacturers to the owner of the boat you like best and ask him if he can match it! If he can he will.... owners like to sell boats :D I agree with Charlie 100% my top two choices were DCB and Cougar for a small 22 ft tunnel. spoke with both owners, compared apple's to apple's gave Dave the written proposal from Cougar, and he was VERY close to the same number, and DCB isnt in Canada. Kinda a drive for a warranty issue..my .02 only

DogHouse
11-06-2002, 08:54 AM
My two finalists were the Magic and the Ultra. Both retailed about the same (72ish with a 496 & B1) but Magic was willing to deal way down into the 60's. Made my decision easy!
-brian

roln 20s
11-06-2002, 10:37 AM
HD-
I agree you want the most speed for the money, but through most of the tests that I have seen the HP 500's are right around the 80 mark. Howard's right at it, DCB was a little above (82.3), and the magic turns in number near 80 (the recent deck boat- same hull, ran 76+) Not to shabby IMO for the cash.
Sure we all want the century mark, but isn't the general rule 1K per MPH.
The only reason I did not include the Ultra or Lavey, is because they are above the 90K mark--the recent Ultra tested in ***boat ran 78.3 for the small sum of $106,600.
I think for $90 K the best option is the HP 500, but of course, I agree that I would prefer a 100MPH boat, but I know someones signature on this site says--"you have to play to pay." Unfortunately this is the truth.
Roln 20s

HavasuDreamin'
11-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Charley
[QB]DCB.... period and you can still get it with some impressive power for under $90k[QB]Just out of curiosity, what is impressive power? How fast will it go? I have heard several times that it costs $1,000 for every mph (as a general rule of thumb). If I was spending $90K, I would want the boat to run 85mph all day long (not going downhill w/a tail wind) which would mean that under ideal conditions it would approach 90mph.

HavasuDreamin'
11-06-2002, 10:53 AM
roln 20s:
HD-
I agree you want the most speed for the money, but through most of the tests that I have seen the HP 500's are right around the 80 mark.
I think for $90 K the best option is the HP 500.From what Dallas here on the boards says, and from my knowledge of tunnel boats, I think an HP500 will top out at 80 under perfect conditions. Throw any fuel, people, ice chests or hot climate into the mix and you have a 75mph boat. A properly set up JetBoat will run that for about $10K or less. Getting passed by a jetboat in a DCB = :mad:
I disagree with you on the HP 500. I think someone said it is an $18,000 option? For $18K I would be talking to Pfaff or Teague for a NA 600+ HP motor. I think you can get that type of power for $18K. Now what I don't know is if the HP 500 price includes a drive or not? To make a long story short, I have heard several people say that the HP 500 is over priced for what you gain in HP. After doing some reading (in the magazine of course) I believe that to be true!
So I say Hot Boat should run an article.....on this very topic. Have all the top manufactures build a 25' - 28' tunnel with as much power as possible for $90K or less (Boat can not be stripped with a blower motor as the only option). Lets see how much bang for the buck Mr. Joe Customer can get!
[ November 06, 2002, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

roln 20s
11-06-2002, 11:04 AM
HD-
I was the one that stated the $18K for the HP 500, which includes the XZ drive I believe, not the XR. You are right, there are some engine builders that you could go to a get a high HP engine for that price also, since you most likely are going to upgrade to the XR drive (or another variation) anyways. I know in the past ***boat with the cats, the Howard had a 650HP Blosdale engine that added $15K, which is less than the HP (generally speaking).
I wish that ***boat would do the same thing on the tests..and I know many others do too. Compare apples to apples- all 25-28 cats with HP 500 or a price level (such as $90K) to see what you can get for that cash. Assuming that top end numbers and quality are both important, then everyone can make an easy decision.
Eventhough this motor was $25K, the Pfaff in the Conquest Cat putting out 900HP seems to be a pretty good bargin- when compared to other 900HPish engines.
If I could buy a cat (or even a V) right now, I would build a similar quad-rotor engine to the one tested in the 28 Bullet that broke 100+..but then again- here's that price thing. That engine listed (in ***boat) at $46K, plus $11K for drive and $3K for steering..umm $60K! Gotta love that!
Roln 20s

roln 20s
11-06-2002, 11:10 AM
Oh yeah- I was also going to mention the fact of Dallas's Daytona in the low to mid 70's. 80 seemed high for me considering the 25 is in that area. But honestly, I would be F$%king pissed too if I was Dallas and bought my dream boat and got low 70's. If I'm not mistaken, he added a supercharger or something..so thats always an option too when you feel More need for speed.
Roln 20s
IMO- There are nice cats for under $90 K, but if you are really going to buy a cat, don't hold back, go all out, and fork out the dreaded $100+
I know, I'm saying this now and will probably buy a cat one day with an HP and go 80 for $90K--but if I could I would drop an infinite amount :)

HavasuDreamin'
11-06-2002, 11:13 AM
roln 20s:
IMO- There are nice cats for under $90 K, but if you are really going to buy a cat, don't hold back, go all out, and fork out the dreaded $100+
I agree 100%!

24RODjr
11-06-2002, 11:25 AM
Ugh...and I thought 90K was a ton to pay....

Skaterfast
11-06-2002, 11:46 AM
Just buy a 1 year old Skater and call it quits.

Tom Slick
11-06-2002, 12:05 PM
I can solve everyones problem. Just buy my Spectre that goes 100+ in some of the roughest water around, and call it a day.

24RODjr
11-06-2002, 12:33 PM
Tom,
I thought you were selling an HTM in the other thread. How many boats do you have?

27mtrcougar
11-06-2002, 12:36 PM
i think you can get a 27mtr with a hp500 well under 90k.

Tom Slick
11-06-2002, 01:11 PM
24RODjr,
I have just the two boats, the 2001 HTM SS-24 and the Spectre30'. I have them both up for sale if you have any takers!

Charley
11-06-2002, 06:05 PM
HavasuDreamin':
Charley
[QB]DCB.... period and you can still get it with some impressive power for under $90k[QB]Just out of curiosity, what is impressive power? How fast will it go? I have heard several times that it costs $1,000 for every mph (as a general rule of thumb). If I was spending $90K, I would want the boat to run 85mph all day long (not going downhill w/a tail wind) which would mean that under ideal conditions it would approach 90mph.My 26 was originally purchased with a Teague 620... it ran 92 mph.....I purchased the motor directly from Teague and made sure I had my figures straight with DCB and that they would be rigging it..... then I called Teague and Dangled the "Im considering going with a Paul Pfaff motor " in front of them ...well.... Teague got hot and made me a smokin deal on the TCM620.. a deal I couldn't refuse! my point? work the deal dont let the deal work you... buying a boat is an emotional purchase... try to take the emotion out of it and use your head when negotiating all angles of the deal. and btw tom slick & skaterfast are mostly right .. buy a 1 year old boat and you will get more boat for your money... they were just wrong about the make :D :D :D DCB BABY!

mbrown2
11-06-2002, 06:29 PM
Charley:
[.. buy a 1 year old boat and you will get more boat for your money... they were just wrong about the make :D :D :D DCB BABY!Agree 100%...you get more boat for the money with a 1-2 year old boat..Look at the Mach's and Eliminator Daytona's in the Boat Trader..most are under 90.. Also, even a clean 1 year old Skater is going to run 120K...For that coin, I would a get new Spectre and ride in even rougher water.

rude235
11-06-2002, 09:09 PM
i purchased an '01 25 daytona for under 65k. the boat was never registered so i'm the first owner and ended up with a 3 year warranty on the motor/drive. it has a 500efi with the xz drive and dual ext. hydrualic steering. if you look hard enough you can find the right deals. good luck.

Stoked
11-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Rude235 How did you pull off that warranty? I have a 2002 HP500 EFI and Mercury Racing only offered me 1 year on that package.

Skaterfast
11-06-2002, 09:46 PM
Just a month ago there were a few 2000 Skater28's for under 90k.And as far as a Spectre handleing the rough better.Hhmmmm?

mbrown2
11-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Skaterfast:
Just a month ago there were a few 2000 Skater28's for under 90k.And as far as a Spectre handleing the rough better.Hhmmmm?Just wanted to see if you were listening; I am sure they handle pretty much equal, only have ridden in a 28 Skater...but that two feet has got to help???

HavasuDreamin'
11-07-2002, 06:10 AM
Charley:
my point? work the deal dont let the deal work you... buying a boat is an emotional purchase... try to take the emotion out of it and use your head when negotiating all angles of the deal. and btw tom slick & skaterfast are mostly right .. buy a 1 year old boat and you will get more boat for your money... they were just wrong about the make :D :D D DCB BABY![/QB]I agree with you 100% on both of your comments..........."work the deal" if you are buying new and "you will get a much better deal if you buy used."
I have seen several 25' Daytona's and other similar boats equipped with Blower Motors and beefed up drives for well under $90K in the boat trader. Most were between 1-3 years old.
[ November 07, 2002, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

dallas
11-07-2002, 06:40 AM
MY 26 DAYTONA WILL RUN A HONEST 75 MPH WITH 4 ADULTS AND 2 CHESTS FULL OF SODA. I LOVE THE BOAT, BUT LETS FACE IT. WHEN YOU HAVE A BOAT THAT LOOKS THAT FAST, IT IS REAL DISAPOINTING TO GET PASSED BY 2 DRUNKS IN A BASS BOAT. 500 HP IS A GREAT MOTOR IN A 22 FOOT BOAT BUT THATS WHY I TRADED MY ENGINE FOR 1 WITH 625 HP WICH SHOULD PUT ME IN THE MID TO LOW 90S

Reaper1
11-07-2002, 08:17 AM
Tom Slick:
24RODjr,
I have just the two boats, the 2001 HTM SS-24 and the Spectre30'. I have them both up for sale if you have any takers!Damn! T. Slick. You must have a killer job to have two bitchen boats like that! :D

Charley
11-07-2002, 08:32 AM
dallas:
MY 26 DAYTONA WILL RUN A HONEST 75 MPH WITH 4 ADULTS AND 2 CHESTS FULL OF SODA. I LOVE THE BOAT, BUT LETS FACE IT. WHEN YOU HAVE A BOAT THAT LOOKS THAT FAST, IT IS REAL DISAPOINTING TO GET PASSED BY 2 DRUNKS IN A BASS BOAT. 500 HP IS A GREAT MOTOR IN A 22 FOOT BOAT BUT THATS WHY I TRADED MY ENGINE FOR 1 WITH 625 HP WICH SHOULD PUT ME IN THE MID TO LOW 90Sgood luck with the new motor package Dallas.... keep us updated on the boat and how she's runnin? dallas...where you from anyway?
:D

dallas
11-07-2002, 12:49 PM
i live in wisconsin and i run on the wiscosin river and lake. i sure hope she will run mid 90s that will make me very happy.

HavasuDreamin'
11-07-2002, 12:51 PM
dallas:
i sure hope she will run mid 90s that will make me very happy.But not happy enough, once you got the bug, you want more, and more, and more. I can see it...next year you'll be putting in a custom blower motor! wink :D
Good Luck!

24ROD
11-07-2002, 06:01 PM
24jr Did I ever mention I have a buddy at Carrera.He can hook you up with a decent deal on a Cat I'm sure. :p

rude235
11-07-2002, 07:08 PM
stoked, the extra warranty is actually from an outside company. when i bought the boat, they were running some kind of deal that actually made my boat cheaper to buy the warranty than to not buy it. can't beat the added insurance! i know it's not a 100mph boat but i'm happy with it just the same.

Stoked
11-07-2002, 07:41 PM
rude235 Sounds like a great deal. My HP500 is out of warranty in April and it's straight to Whipple. That's the plan anyway. Thanks

Donnie
11-07-2002, 07:54 PM
The best cat for under 90 grand.....a ALLEY cat eek! eek!

24RODjr
11-07-2002, 08:24 PM
Donnie:
The best cat for under 90 grand.....a ALLEY cat eek! eek! I don't get it.... wink

mbrown2
11-07-2002, 08:31 PM
24RODjr:
Donnie:
The best cat for under 90 grand.....a ALLEY cat eek! eek! I don't get it.... wink Maybe he means Sanger Alley Cat. :confused: :confused: :confused:

24RODjr
11-07-2002, 08:34 PM
I was hoping he was talkin about hookers.

syke-o
11-07-2002, 11:51 PM
Hi Seez mom is an alley cat you can get for $.90

mikey
11-08-2002, 02:44 PM
dallas:
MY 26 DAYTONA WILL RUN A HONEST 75 MPH WITH 4 ADULTS AND 2 CHESTS FULL OF SODA. I LOVE THE BOAT, BUT LETS FACE IT. WHEN YOU HAVE A BOAT THAT LOOKS THAT FAST, IT IS REAL DISAPOINTING TO GET PASSED BY 2 DRUNKS IN A BASS BOAT. 500 HP IS A GREAT MOTOR IN A 22 FOOT BOAT BUT THATS WHY I TRADED MY ENGINE FOR 1 WITH 625 HP WICH SHOULD PUT ME IN THE MID TO LOW 90SDallas, on April 16, 2002 you posted the following:
“just bought a new 26 daytona with a 500hp efi with a 4 blade 28 pitch merc prop. i am only running about 75mph at 4800 rpm i tried a 26 pitch i ran 5100 rpm but only ran 73 mph i really thought this boat would run at least 80 mph . i had the engine checked out its in great shape i only have 25 hours on it so far thanks for your advise”
In the post you state the boat ran 73/75 mph tops. This was with you and you son aboard (posted April 17,2002 “i was running with 2 people but one was my son and he only weighs about 50 lbs. i had a half of a tank i was trimmed and i run 1.5 gears and it was cool out thanks”).
Again in April on the 18, you posted the following:
“you know the more i think about this whole thing. it really pisses me off. im told by my sales man that 80mph was no prob at all. and then i call eliminator and ask them the same thing , they tell me the same. so i spend more than i thought i ever would on a boat. and i know the boat looks good, and maybe 5-6 miles an hour isnt that big a deal to some people. but i paid alot more for the 500 hp efi i know how to drive a tunel ive owned 7 of them. and unless i can get my weight down to 100 lbs and i only have fumes for fuel and its 45 degrees outside, and with a good wind and a couple foot chop. this boat will never see 80+ mph so what do i do. pay more to have it rigged different or do i sell it and go to a manufacture that i have more faith in? ive owned 5 eliminators my brother and father have had 4 its not that easy for me. its not like i can drag it over to the factory. i live in wisconsin. what to do? i want my performance boat to perform is that to much to ask?”.
The post again stated you were told the boat would run about 80 mph and now you’re pissed because it would only run 75. I responded to your post, as did our Texas store. I told you and others told you the boat would run about 80 mph and it would just take time to get used to trimming the boat for top speed.
On June 3, 2002 you posted :
“i run a 26 daytona with a 500 hp i run right around 80mph. i want to put a pro charger on. my questions are i do not want to hurt my engine. i would like to pick up atleast 10mph. is this possible with only 3 lbs/ THANKS”
Now the boat is running about the speed you were told, what changed between April and June? To run 75 with 4 adults and 2 ice chest full of soda is not bad. Drop 2 adults and the soda, about 500lbs, and you should see a 5/6mph increase. I really don’t see where you should have any complaints about the performance of your 26 Daytona; it’s doing exactly what you expected.
Mike
Eliminator

mikey
11-08-2002, 03:01 PM
HavasuDreamin':
roln 20s:
HD-
I agree you want the most speed for the money, but through most of the tests that I have seen the HP 500's are right around the 80 mark.
I think for $90 K the best option is the HP 500.From what Dallas here on the boards says, and from my knowledge of tunnel boats, I think an HP500 will top out at 80 under perfect conditions. Throw any fuel, people, ice chests or hot climate into the mix and you have a 75mph boat. A properly set up JetBoat will run that for about $10K or less. Getting passed by a jetboat in a DCB = :mad:
I disagree with you on the HP 500. I think someone said it is an $18,000 option? For $18K I would be talking to Pfaff or Teague for a NA 600+ HP motor. I think you can get that type of power for $18K. Now what I don't know is if the HP 500 price includes a drive or not? To make a long story short, I have heard several people say that the HP 500 is over priced for what you gain in HP. After doing some reading (in the magazine of course) I believe that to be true!
So I say Hot Boat should run an article.....on this very topic. Have all the top manufactures build a 25' - 28' tunnel with as much power as possible for $90K or less (Boat can not be stripped with a blower motor as the only option). Lets see how much bang for the buck Mr. Joe Customer can get!Option pricing can be tricky and confusing. Here at Eliminator we price all boats with the MerCruiser 5.7 Alpha package, aluminum propeller, and thru-propeller exhaust. This makes the motor up-charge the same from the 210 Eagle to the 36 Daytona and simplifies the price sheet. Some manufactures will price smaller boats with the 5.7 and bigger hulls with the 496 Mag or 496 Mag HO. The motor upgrade price will vary with the base motor. The MerCruiser retail price for the 5.7 with the Alpha drive is 12,506, the 496 Mag with a Bravo 1 drive is 20,750 and the HP500 with Bravo XZ is 39,590. The up charge from the 5.7 to the HP500 would be 27,084 and 18,840 extra over the 496 Mag. You also need to ask the manufacture what is included with the motor package price, i.e. Stainless propeller, thru-transom exhaust, mechanical trim indicator, outside steering system, special mounts, etc.
I’m not sure of Pfaff’s motor pricing, but a Teague 509ci/620 hp single carburetor motor will set you back much more than 18K. Even if you could get a 600hp+ motor for 18K, you still would need to buy a Bravo XZ/XR drive, HP gimbal, power steering valve, trim pump, motor conversion parts (wiring, mounts, water pump, alternator, drive coupler. etc). When you are all done, you might save a little over the price of the Merc package but you will have a limited warranty (if any) on the motor and none on the drive/gimbal.
Doing an article with any HP and a 90K cap would not be realistic. Too easy to cheat and state a lower HP so a boat would look like it was faster with less HP. I think a better test would be to use the MerCruiser HP500 factory class sealed motors from Innovation Marine and all boats would have to meet a minimum weight. All the manufacture would bring a boat set for this motor package to a test site, Like Lake Havasu, were motors would be installed and boats weighed. Any boat under the minimum would have ballast added. All would be tested with only a driver and passenger, than again with weight added to simulate an average boatload of people and gear. All boats must be in full production trim with complete interiors. Manufacture can install the stock Bravo XZ drive at any ‘X’ dimension and run any production propeller (no special experimental props). All boats would be checked for top speed with a GPS speedometer. All would be clocked from 0 to 30 mph and than at 10 mile per hour increments to the top speed. Boats should be timed thru a slalom course to check the hulls ability to handle left and right turns at higher speeds to simulate evasive actions.
This would be a better indicator of a hulls over all design and not just straight line speed.
Mike
Eliminator Boats

mbrown2
11-08-2002, 03:14 PM
mikey
[QBThis would be a better indicator of a hulls over all design and not just straight line speed.
Mike
Eliminator Boats[/QB]Mike, that would be a great test...what manufactures do you think would volunteer for such test if ***boat offered such?

roln 20s
11-08-2002, 03:22 PM
I think a better test would be to use the MerCruiser HP500 factory class sealed motors from Innovation Marine and all boats would have to meet a minimum weight. All the manufacture would bring a boat set for this motor package to a test site, Like Lake Havasu, were motors would be installed and boats weighed. Any boat under the minimum would have ballast added. All would be tested with only a driver and passenger, than again with weight added to simulate an average boatload of people and gear. All boats must be in full production trim with complete interiors. Manufacture can install the stock Bravo XZ drive at any ‘X’ dimension and run any production propeller (no special experimental props). All boats would be checked for top speed with a GPS speedometer. All would be clocked from 0 to 30 mph and than at 10 mile per hour increments to the top speed. Boats should be timed thru a slalom course to check the hulls ability to handle left and right turns at higher speeds to simulate evasive actions.
This would be a better indicator of a hulls over all design and not just straight line speed.
Mike
Eliminator Boats
I agree with this- but what manufacturers are ever going to be willing to do this? I don't think many would- although as stated before I wish they would. You are definately right about the upgrade options for engines..and I forgot that Eliminator prices all of their boats with the 5.7. This makes their base prices seem lower, but at the end, they all seem to be reasonable equivalent to others. Powerboat mag did a $70K test--and they got a variety of boats with different power, but it showed you many different directions you could go with your $70K--i liked it. I think that just tested the top line boats of a company, or the high power versions, does get old, but hey--it makes me want it and makes me set goals in order to buy that boat one day..so the manufacturers are happy for that.
Roln 20s

rude235
11-08-2002, 08:53 PM
mike, that test sounds bitchin'!! i'd love to see it. i've read in hot boat that a mach 26 with a 500efi ran 82.6 or something like that. i've never seen a 25 daytona tested with a 500efi. i've got an '01 25 daytona with the 500efi and am hoping to hit 80+ with it. but after reading some of the posts it's looking doubtful. i've seen 70-75 on the speedo so far. am i expecting to much? stoked, you'll definitely have to keep me posted if you decide to run a blower on your boat! did you say you have a 25 or 26 daytona and what speeds are you running now?

Stoked
11-09-2002, 02:45 PM
rude235
I have a Stoker 224 With an HP500/XR, at the HB tunnel shootout the boat ran 94. The boat has seen 100 on GPS. A friend recently picked up a 270 Hallet with a 575 SC The acceleration is unreal!!!! I am sold on getting a supercharger, the boat should run 110-115 but my goal is 30-100.(real quick). Another guy on this board recently had a Whipple installed and is very happy. I'll keep you posted.

mbrown2
11-09-2002, 03:17 PM
Stoked:
rude235
I have a Stoker 224 With an HP500/XR, at the HB tunnel shootout the boat ran 94. The boat has seen 100 on GPS. A friend recently picked up a 270 Hallet with a 575 SC The acceleration is unreal!!!! I am sold on getting a supercharger, the boat should run 110-115 but my goal is 30-100.(real quick). Another guy on this board recently had a Whipple installed and is very happy. I'll keep you posted.I have a Whipple installed on 502EFI on a Mach 26..the acceleration is incredible. If you are looking at getting more HP in across the entire powerband...go with the Whipple. The Procharger makes most of its HP at the upper RPMs.

rude235
11-09-2002, 10:54 PM
juding by the compression at 8.75:1 on the 500efi, i would think a blower and this motor would get along great! as much as i'd love to bolt one up, i promised the mrs. i'd wait until the warrany is up. i've read where a blower on a mach26 added about 20mph. that should put me right at 100 for WAY under 100k. not to bad. i love those stokers! i've never riden in one but love the way they look and damn are they fast without that much power. i think al stoker hit the nail on the head with that hull.

24RODjr
11-11-2002, 02:36 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears the concensus, if there is such a thing, is that Force offshore gives the most bang-for-the-buck....

roln 20s
11-11-2002, 02:46 PM
24RodJr-
I guess that's the moral of the story- it gets my vote for best bang for the buck!
If you are going to spend a little more money- go HOWARD or DCB!
enjoy!
Roln 20s

24RODjr
11-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Hey Rollin' Dubz...
What are you floating in?

roln 20s
11-11-2002, 06:38 PM
Currently- a Malibu Echelon LX (open bow ski boat)- its my dads but he hasn't used it in atleast a couple years, its basically mine and my bros.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Hot_Boat_Happenings/Havasu_and_The_River/therig2.JPG
But the wish list is:
1st boat- Malibu Corvette edition, Essex 23, Howard 22 Sport
Next boat- Howard 26 or DCB Mach 26 cat.
You ever seen a pic of the corvette edition. Here's a link to a couple for sale. It will definately get attention..plus has a calloway 400 + HP engine. Not too bad :)
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/9/1773879.htm
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/2/27592752.htm
Let me know what ya think- but of course I prefer a Cat.
Roln 20s

24RODjr
11-12-2002, 01:19 PM
Ahhh...I gotta say if it aint a cat, it's a dog!

mbrown2
11-12-2002, 01:23 PM
roln 20s:
Currently- a Malibu Echelon LX (open bow ski boat)- its my dads but he hasn't used it in atleast a couple years, its basically mine and my bros.
But the wish list is:
1st boat- Malibu Corvette edition, Essex 23, Howard 22 Sport
Next boat- Howard 26 or DCB Mach 26 cat.
You ever seen a pic of the corvette edition. Here's a link to a couple for sale. It will definately get attention..plus has a calloway 400 + HP engine. Not too bad :)
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/7/9/1773879.htm
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/2/27592752.htm
Let me know what ya think- but of course I prefer a Cat.
Roln 20sNice rig...it only took me about 20 years of boating, 14 years of having my own boats to finally get my first cat...Mach 26. Once you go cat, you never go back..(unless you are going to a 38ft Cig wink :) )
[ November 12, 2002, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: mbrown2 ]

roln 20s
11-12-2002, 05:24 PM
Thanks MBrown2- I appreciate that. I take alot of pride in the rig at the lake- eventhough I see others that I just drewl over. But I will have a cat- no doubt about that. Just a matter of time. I'm only 21 years old, and hope to get my first cat (26 Howard or DCB) when I am 25. The corvette malibu is what I am leaning towards before that- hopefully by next christmas.
Roln 20s

dallas
11-13-2002, 08:44 AM
mickey the big change was my prop i must have tried 15 of them i finally found a lab finished 28 pitch 4 blade that would push me about 80mph if good weather conditions.

HavasuDreamin'
11-13-2002, 10:01 AM
Mike, thanks for the factual information on Eliminator pricing. Also, I thought what you brought up to Dallas was very interesting. I was wondering the same thing. :confused:
As I said before, tunnels are very sensitive to the amount of weight and how it is distributed. As you pointed out the flaws in my $90K tunnel test, I don't see how any manufacture would ever volunteer their product to a standardized "HP500" test. The problem there is..... too much to lose for every manufacture aside from the top dog! Only one can walk away with bragging rights and the other 4 or 6 or 8, etc. get bad publicity and in turn have to answer questions such as .......well why didn't your 27' hull run as fast as ______ 27' hull?
I still think a $90K tunnel test could be acheived fairly. Why not have a dyno at a nearby shop (plenty in Havasu) where they can be hooked up to the propshaft? Do this either right before or right after testing to ensure fairness. Also, I think by establishing a dollar limit as apposed to a HP limit, the consumer can see all of what he or she can get for a certain amount of $$$$. Does one boat have more options than another with similar horse power? Does one come with a cheaper trailer? Etc.
IMHO, neither test will happen. Too much to lose for too many manufactures.
HD

Sandbar Mike
11-13-2002, 10:07 AM
24RODjr:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears the concensus, if there is such a thing, is that Force offshore gives the most bang-for-the-buck....RodJr
I can't agree with you more wink
Anyone want to buy a Cheetah for this winter :D

THOR
11-13-2002, 11:35 AM
Sandbar Mike:
24RODjr:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears the concensus, if there is such a thing, is that Force offshore gives the most bang-for-the-buck....RodJr
Anyone want to buy a Cheetah for this winter :D Are you selling your Cheetah?

HavasuDreamin'
11-13-2002, 11:47 AM
24RODjr:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears the concensus, if there is such a thing, is that Force offshore gives the most bang-for-the-buck....Yes, I agree with you, Force is the best bang for the buck. However lets not fool ourselves and throw DCB in the same quality brackett as Force, we all know DCB is the shiznit if you have the dough!

THOR
11-13-2002, 12:09 PM
HavasuDreamin':
24RODjr:
Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears the concensus, if there is such a thing, is that Force offshore gives the most bang-for-the-buck....Yes, I agree with you, Force is the best bang for the buck. However lets not fool ourselves and throw DCB in the same quality brackett as Force, we all know DCB is the shiznit if you have the dough!It all depends on what you are getting

Sandbar Mike
11-14-2002, 07:47 AM
THOR:
Sandbar Mike:
24RODjr:
Anyone want to buy a Cheetah for this winter :D Are you selling your Cheetah?Ya, I'm asking 31K
I've had it up for about a month.
Actually I'm suprised how many people are out looking this late in the year,
Mike
[ November 14, 2002, 07:53 AM: Message edited by: Sandbar Mike ]

THOR
11-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Sandbar Mike,
I sent you a PM!!