PDA

View Full Version : How to gain 4mph for less than 10$!....

Toffen
12-30-2001, 10:55 AM
"Hi!
Just checked out JSRE tech question column at ScreamAndFly, and he comes up with a tip that is new for me!
"A little secret also, space your props as far back on the shafts as possible with spacers and have a nut machined in half, and torque to 100 ft lb. Leave the prop shaft just long enough to have one thread of the prop shaft hanging past the nylon on the lock nut. Believe it or not, this simple mod is sometimes good for as much as 4 mph".
This apply to over hub props such as choppers, cleavers, small hub Tropys, etc.
Have any of you tested this out???
Cheers, Toffen G

hcb26
12-30-2001, 11:50 AM
Toffen, have you tested this on a bravo XR drive or B-max, will 1/4 inch really make that big of a diffrence. Is only one thread really enough to hold a $1000.00 prop on.

spectras only
12-30-2001, 12:01 PM
Hcb26, what Toffen meant was ,one thread past the nut [half sized nut that is ,after cut in half ]after torqued .I'm sure a lot of people would debate this practice ,because of the force applied when the prop in reverse.

hcb26
12-30-2001, 12:19 PM
Spectras only, I am alittle bit ?able about that also. Do you have a Spectra cat?

spectras only
12-30-2001, 12:42 PM
Spectre in the east coast makes nice cats. I have
v bottom spectras.They never made a cat,???.I guess if Bud Bailey stayed in business he would have made some.He joined Hallett in the 80's and that's where he designed them [cat's]

Toffen
12-30-2001, 01:47 PM
Hi!
Buy McGard propeller lock. This nut is shorter than a regular Merc nut, and I have used it for years. It holds perfect, and on top of it people can not steel your prop.
On my lower unit I can move the prop aft about 3/4 inch, and I will test with my Chopper II anyway. Best cruising prop for me is a Tempest 26, so I have to let this prop stay as normal.
Cheers, Toffen G

waterbum
12-30-2001, 08:52 PM
Damn,I bet you got to kill us now for tellin us that. I'd go try that now but I don't have an ice prop. I wanna hear more after someone tries this,always lookin for a little more. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

Toffen
12-31-2001, 06:32 AM
Hi!
Here is Jays reply:
"Prop spacing
These mods are for over thu hub props ( yammys . ET's, ect.. )
And this is for winning races that more MPH is needed , the absolute long term effects on bearings, seals, etc... ain't my concern when I'm trying to beat someone or win titles I have never had one fail because of this practice though , but all will have to relize I do this 10 seconds at a time !
Jay @ JSRE"
Cheers, Toffen G