PDA

View Full Version : MSD Weak Spark

Wet Dream
05-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Finally got enough done to be able to turn over the motor, but she isn't firing. I pulled 2 of the plugs out and laid them down, and there is a really weak spark. No pop, crack or anything like that, just a barely visible spark. Here's the rundown. MSD 6AL, Blaster 2 coil, Accel plugs, MSD Distributor. I'm still showing 12 volts at the battery, but its turning a little slow. I'm wondering if my connections aren't strong enough, or if there is something I should be looking at. Anyone?

WHATA SQUIRT
05-21-2006, 03:45 PM
possible ground issue..and check your coil ,possiblr cracks...Is this a new system?

Paul128a
05-21-2006, 03:54 PM
my way of checking an MSD 6, if you are running the magnetic pickup to the distributor, you could first remove the magnetic pickup socket. Remove the coil wire from the distributor and put it about half an inch from a ground. Next, with the ignition on, touch the small white wire coming out of the MSD 6 to a ground source and rub it. You should getting lots of sparks with a strong cracking sound.
If not, check your big red wire if it is directly connected to the battery and not corroded, same goes for the heavy black wire.
Better to try this in the dark too, to see if your coil is showing sparks around it, as it may possibly have cracks.
Last, try a substitute coil. Hope that helps.

RICHARD TILL
05-22-2006, 08:11 PM
better be careful. stay insulated. when you get it right it will throw a good spark and knock the hell out of you. take my word, i know.

Wet Dream
05-23-2006, 05:44 AM
I have a good spark :D. I did the test with the jumper wire on the leads, and bam! Nice big blueish white spark. Thanks for help guys.

Hallett19
05-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Whats up Bill ???? Long time no talk !! How is life treating you??
What ended up being the problem ?

Wet Dream
05-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Aaron, whats up? Getting ready for boating season. We get a later start up here. I couldn't pinpoint the problem, but it was either a bad connection on the battery, or the gummed up distributor cap. I cleaned it up...and WHAM. :D