PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tongue getting cut tomorrow...

2Driver
05-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Randall's VIP trailers in Phoenix will be cutting my already swing tongue trailer to make the hinge in line with the bow (the hinge is currently a foot out past the bow). It will then fit in my garage.
Any pointers or last minute suggestions to be sure it goes smooth? Hate taking a torch to a perfectly good trailer but I need it to fit in the garage.
Sorry for a boating related question :notam:

TCHB
05-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I have seen it done before with no concerns.

Jim W
05-21-2006, 06:04 PM
"torch"???
You are kidding----- right????
Be good, Jim

2Driver
05-21-2006, 06:11 PM
Figure of speech.
Actully I don't know how they will cut off the front part of the trailer but they do it on a regular basis for customers so I am told. So long as it looks good and follows the truck when it's done - I'm good. :rollside:

SDLifesaver
05-21-2006, 06:18 PM
Are you leaving the original hinge or making that a permanant attachment point for strength? Will the new hinge look the same as the original hinge? What color is your trailer and is the paint easy to match? How will this effect the electrical connection? Cost? When we had our new boat built I made sure it fit before we ordered because I wanted no suprises but these are all questions I asked myself while I was waiting for an answer and photos of the boat in the garage and the door closed.

2Driver
05-21-2006, 06:55 PM
The current hinge is out about a foot from the bow so the trailer side rails will be cut back and a new hinge put in it's place where it should have been.
There should be no splicing as the "cut back" on the side rails should leave enough excess wiring, brake line for new attachments. No new weld areas should occur as the side rails will just meet the new hinge area one foot earlier and the area past the hinge to the coupler will now be 1 foot longer. Goal is to have no trailer sticking out past the bow when folded. If I can do that I have a whoppping 2" of clearance. I've measured it 25 times!
Total cost is around $800. $40K cheaper than a new garage.
BTW: That is just a great pic of your Howard Cat.

SDLifesaver
05-21-2006, 06:59 PM
The current hinge is out about a foot from the bow so the trailer side rails will be cut back and a new hinge put in it's place where it should have been.
There should be no splicing as the "cut back" on the side rails should leave enough excess wiring, brake line for new attachments. No new weld areas should occur as the side rails will just meet the new hinge area one foot earlier and the area past the hinge to the coupler will now be 1 foot longer. Goal is to have no trailer sticking out past the bow when folded. If I can do that I have a whoppping 2" of clearance. I've measured it 25 times!
Total cost is around $800. $40K cheaper than a new garage.
BTW: That is just a great pic of your Howard Cat.
Thanks for the compliment on the picture. That is actually the new Howard Deckboat. Same bottom as the cat just a different top layout. I know the feeling of 2" of clearance. We have about 6 to 8" on the rear wall and maybe a foot with the tongue folded in the front. We took up all the space we could with this boat but it fits and that's all I cared about. Good luck. Nick

TrojanDan
05-21-2006, 08:20 PM
We had our Zeiman triple axel trailer tongue made into a swing away by Enduro Trailer in Havasu. Enduro welded two 1/2" thick connecting plates to each side of the cut off tongue that is hinged on one end. The hinged connecting plates close with four 1" diameter bolts. A portion of the rigid brake line was also replaced with a flexible brake line. New plates and tongue was color matched good enough for a trailer. Ended up gaining a little under 2'.
Don't forget to measure where your crank handle is for your trailer tongue wheel/foot is, Sometimes the crank handle sticks past the bow of the boat. I think we paid less than $400 for the swing away about 3.5 years ago. :cool:

Throttle
05-21-2006, 08:38 PM
sell it as a package deal, boat and trailer combo...
then buy a smaller boat!
or build a bigger garage!

Sherpa
05-22-2006, 06:16 AM
I've about a dozen trailers making a swing-away tongue..... it's not that
big of a deal for a decent fabricator....
I even built 2 large A-frames to pull boats off the trailers to have the boat
free from any sparks........
I personally like sleeved trailers, they're stronger than a hinge.
--Sherpa.......... I cut my brand-new 2 week old trailer when I first bought my
boat......