PDA

View Full Version : 70 mph

Taylorman
05-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Well it seems like my new carb really did some good. Finally saw 70 mph in the Taylor today for the first time. Is there anything that can be done to get there a little quicker. I held it at wot for about 20 seconds just watching as the mph went up one tenth at a time till it finally hit 70 then i let off. Although not that fast compared to some, its been my goal to get it to run 70. When i bought the boat the max speed was 58.

beerjet
05-21-2006, 07:25 PM
I would say your well on your way!

TexasJet
05-22-2006, 03:56 AM
Congrats T man. I know what you mean, that last 1 MPH takes a looooong time to get there. If 70 or 71 is tops, it's gonna take time. The only way to get to 70 quicker is build a motor that will get you to 80. :idea:

IMPATIENT 1
05-22-2006, 05:51 AM
Cool T-man, I Had A Few Probs With My Sj This Weekend.i Was Runnin In The Low 80's And Over The Weekend It Would Only Do 74mph.kept Hearing A Clinking Noise And Was Cavatating Bad!pulled It Outta The Water And Some Dude Is Yellin At Me That Something Fell Off,my Loader!it Got Into The Shaft,busted Up My Nice Flowed In Intake Alittle.not To Much Damage And The Loader Fell Out On The Ground Not The Water, But I Learned What Had Slowed Me Down!i Got Pics From The Weekend If Someone Will Upload Them.i'll Email Em To Ya.

Taylorman
05-22-2006, 06:06 AM
Send them to me, i'll post them.
How did the loader fall out. Did the bolts break or come loose?

IMPATIENT 1
05-22-2006, 06:09 AM
Yep, The Heads Snapped Off At The Loader,i Backed Em Up With Washers,poly Lock Nuts.got Drill Out 4 Broken Bolts This Evening On A 12je,this Is Gonna Sux!pics Are On The Way T-man.

IMPATIENT 1
05-22-2006, 06:18 AM
Tman, What Pump Are You Runnin? I Know You Gotta Hot Mill And Was Wondering Why You Havin Trouble Gettin 70?my Little 12je Pump Is Pushing Mine Into The Low 80's With A Mild Bbf.do You Have A Loader And Shoe/ride Plate Kit?i Never Could Get Past 75mph Till I Bought The Hitech Shoe/ride Plate Kit.i Don't Run Outta Water Anymore And It Rides Like A Dream To Boot,planes Out In Half The Time Too.

Taylorman
05-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Hot mill, not. Stock olds with stock heads. I'll eventually get some Edelbrock heads to juice it up a little. Heres the pics.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/impatient01.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/impatient02.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/impatient03.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/impatient04.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/impatient05.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/impatient06.jpg

victorfb
05-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Taylorman.. first off let me congradulate you on hitting 70mph. thats a tough task in itself. now you mentioned you are running a stock 455 olds with stock heads. which heads are they? before spending the bucks on some aluminum heads you may want to try a little port work on your existing heads. here is what i did in my tahiti18 with a stock harman marine 390hp 455 olds and berk jc (A). with a fresh rebuild on both pump and engine, it was turning 4300RPM with untouched (K) heads. loaned the boat out and the guy ran it too cool and popped out some valve seats. i found a set of (C) heads which actually have a slightly smaller intake valve but it was all i could find. i did some mild porting to both intake and exhaust (dont cut much, just smooth it out) blend the bowl areas, smooth out the combustion chamber a bit (carefull here, it doesnt take much). installed the new heads and with 3 people in the boat it spun right up to 4700RPM. and it did it much quiker. it really made the tahiti pull alot quiker and im sure faster. i never did any GPS runs either before or after (didnt concern me) but it made a huge differance in the performance of the boat. since everything was fresh and i didnt change anything else, it was a true testament of what the head work did. (even with a less desireable head). something to consider, especially if you are capable of doing it all yourself. a couple gaskets and some time, but a large gain is the outcome.

n8dawg
05-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Well it seems like my new carb really did some good. Finally saw 70 mph in the Taylor today for the first time. Is there anything that can be done to get there a little quicker. I held it at wot for about 20 seconds just watching as the mph went up one tenth at a time till it finally hit 70 then i let off. Although not that fast compared to some, its been my goal to get it to run 70. When i bought the boat the max speed was 58.
WOW 70 from the mighty Olds! I guess there is still hope for me as well. Right now I'm between 60 - 65mph. Running a jacuzzi wj/diverter, not sure on impeller size but it spins to 5100rpm. Never had any pump work done since I bought the thing and who knows when the pump was gone threw last. A quick question for you. What do you set your timing at? Initial? and @ 3000?
My Olds is pretty much the same as yours - 9.7:1 compression, stock "K" heads and a tunnel ram with dual 450 holley's. It is my dream to to run in the 70's.
How about a 100hp shot of NOS?
Keep it up, your motor looks sweet! Keep all of us Olds guys on our toes!

Greaser
05-22-2006, 09:57 AM
Way to go Taylorman!!!!

Taylorman
05-22-2006, 10:01 AM
WOW 70 from the mighty Olds! I guess there is still hope for me as well. Right now I'm between 60 - 65mph. Running a jacuzzi wj/diverter, not sure on impeller size but it spins to 5100rpm. Never had any pump work done since I bought the thing and who knows when the pump was gone threw last. A quick question for you. What do you set your timing at? Initial? and @ 3000?
My Olds is pretty much the same as yours - 9.7:1 compression, stock "K" heads and a tunnel ram with dual 450 holley's. It is my dream to to run in the 70's.
How about a 100hp shot of NOS?
Keep it up, your motor looks sweet! Keep all of us Olds guys on our toes!
I have my timing locked out at 32*. I may put a small nitrous kit on mine in the near future. I want to do some carb tuning first to make sure my A/F is right on. Heres my .02 and my exprience. I had a tunnel ram with dual edelbrocks. Looked nice. I decided, don't know why, to go with the new Victor intake and a single carb. Picked up about 4 mph. Best i from the tunnel ram was 66. Im now at 70. Im running a Holley 750 Dominator now.

Devilman
05-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Pretty nice, Taylorman. I need to get Greaser to GPS mine, but he keeps taking the batteries out of it for some toy he has.....:D Congrats on the 70... :cool:

460 jus getn it
05-22-2006, 10:15 AM
Congrats on 70................................................ ...............................

n8dawg
05-22-2006, 10:23 AM
I have my timing locked out at 32*. I may put a small nitrous kit on mine in the near future. I want to do some carb tuning first to make sure my A/F is right on. Heres my .02 and my exprience. I had a tunnel ram with dual edelbrocks. Looked nice. I decided, don't know why, to go with the new Victor intake and a single carb. Picked up about 4 mph. Best i from the tunnel ram was 66. Im now at 70. Im running a Holley 750 Dominator now.
I might have to look into that set up. I'd rather have the 4mph than the looks! Besides that I hate polishing that monster!
Thanks.

Taylorman
05-22-2006, 10:38 AM
I might have to look into that set up. I'd rather have the 4mph than the looks! Besides that I hate polishing that monster!
Thanks.
Im with you. Jet hot it.

esabataj
05-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Damn buddy
I didn't think your truck would pull the trailer that fast LOL
Congrats on the 70. Good numbers for an Olds.

Jet Hydro
05-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Congrats T man. I know what you mean, that last 1 MPH takes a looooong time to get there. If 70 or 71 is tops, it's gonna take time. The only way to get to 70 quicker is build a motor that will get you to 80. :idea:
True dat!!!

jpeaston
05-22-2006, 03:11 PM
taylorman,
on most gps handhelds you can swith the amount of time between signals to the satellites. from the factory they are usually substancially longer that the quickest interval available to save battery. figure out how to change the interval and your 0-70 time will shorten, you were probably running 70 or maybe more for about 8 or 9 seconds before it registered.
Thats the cheapest way to get to 70 faster.

Taylorman
05-22-2006, 07:56 PM
taylorman,
on most gps handhelds you can swith the amount of time between signals to the satellites. from the factory they are usually substancially longer that the quickest interval available to save battery. figure out how to change the interval and your 0-70 time will shorten, you were probably running 70 or maybe more for about 8 or 9 seconds before it registered.
Thats the cheapest way to get to 70 faster.
I have an in dash gps speedometer. It updates pretty quick. Every couple of seconds if not faster.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b334/vidrinek/DCP_6282.jpg

n8dawg
05-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Damn that is one of the sweetest Olds motors I've ever seen! Good work and Good job!

beerjet
05-22-2006, 09:40 PM
Damn that is one of the sweetest Olds motors I've ever seen! Good work and Good job!
See n8dawg , there is alot of hope for ya. Your set-up probably just needs to be tightened up a bit and you'll be handing me my ass in no time.
BTW Taylorman that looks great and congrats on the big 7-0 .