PDA

View Full Version : Stainless or Billett Impeller

ztoe
05-21-2006, 11:09 PM
I have a 2001 22 foot Sonic Jet Vortex with a 502 BBC dyno built at 585HP I have a Legend G Pump with AA impeller now. I live in Colorado (5500 ft) I turn 4850 RPM and run 62mph. I was wondering about changing to a new impeller and loader grate. The boat weoghs 2800 lbs and I have a place diverter. Any input would help Im happy with my performance but was wondering if its worth spending the cash on the stainless set up.

victorfb
05-22-2006, 08:59 AM
at those rpm levels the aluminum is all you need. no gain from stainless steal. pumps spinning 6000+ rpm can tear up the aluminum, hense the swap to stainless. youll never get those rpms in the 22. unless of course you run it dry/unloaded. spend your money elswere. or on me. :)

SmokinLowriderSS
05-22-2006, 05:33 PM
If you like to run rocks thru the pump, the steel will take a ton of abuse the Al will never do. If you can stay out of rocks, I'd run aluminum. There should be virtually no perf diff if the cut is the same. I would consider running a Mag-Bronze tho, especially if you think you'll ever want to put more HP to it.
IMO at nearly 600HP you are on the ragged edge of what cast Al would take for any decent period of time, Billet i'm sure is tougher but I have no idea how much. Bronze is 2/3 the cost of steel and takes the same HP, but is easier to ding-up.
Do you have a loader currently? At 62mph, one might help if you don't have one, but I doubt one would be better than another in that big boat.