PDA

View Full Version : Cavitation Plate Adjustment Help

boatinj
05-22-2006, 06:53 AM
I recently got my 72 sanger bubbledeck flatbottom running and noticed that the cavitation plate is bowed up in the middle about a half inch. I would like to know if it should be straight and if there is a general rule of thumb to adjust the up/down of the plate. It has a single foot adjustment . Any help is appreciated.

Flat Hall'N
05-23-2006, 06:10 PM
I dont know what kind of speed you are going for but this will vary from one boat to another. I typically see the plate bow down where the two plates come together in the middle to create a gull wing shape. If you can get a straight edge along the bottom of the boat and line-up your plate even with it, while making sure your overide handle still has room to move, this would be a good place to start. See how the boat rides and what it likes at whatever speed you are looking for. I have raced a couple of boats and they responded differently to similar plate adjustments. When making plate adjustments go with half turns only on the turnbuckles, it makes a big difference. Good luck!!

ColeTR2
05-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Can you post some pictures of the back of your boat? Some Sangers have gull wing in the bottom.

AzMandella
05-23-2006, 08:16 PM
How does it ride?Sometimes people will turn the two middle turnbuckles up in an attempt to help float the nose.Especialy if it is a low horsepower engine that can't hold the nose up.

BIG TIME
05-23-2006, 08:17 PM
follow the bottom of the boat with a at least a 36" straight edge..is a good start...good luck

boatinj
05-26-2006, 07:01 AM
I'm only running about 500hp and spinning a 11.5 by 15 prop. I am not sure on the gears yet but i will find out. I've had it out twice now and the first time it was bowed up in the middle it seemed like it would lift nice but then do a sudden drop of the nose to one side or the other. Not a great feeling at about 75 mph. So, I haven't pushed it any more. I adjusted it roughly flat with the bottom of the boat with about 1/2 inch upward travel and about 1 inch of down travel and took it out yesterday. It seemed to ride better and didn't stuff the nose this time. One complaint is that it doesn't like to be raised much off of the lowest setting. It starts to porpoise at high speed. I'll get some pics this weekend to post. Thanks for all your help. I can't wait to get it right.

Sangerboy
05-27-2006, 04:36 AM
I'm only running about 500hp and spinning a 11.5 by 15 prop. One complaint is that it doesn't like to be raised much off of the lowest setting. It starts to porpoise at high speed.
Move your prop back some. I don't think you've got enough power to carry the nose at it's current position. Sounds like you have to run to much down plate to keep it in the water at speed. Been there. Good luck