PDA

View Full Version : hard drive help.............

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-22-2006, 09:03 AM
I am looking for any kind of diagnostic tools to troubleshoot a faulty drive. The pc recognizes the drive but I cant get into it. I need to get into it to recover some data. Anyone have any info to help a fellow boater out? thanks in advance.....

Cheap Thrills
05-22-2006, 09:07 AM
I've used this several times with good results. recover my files (http://www.recovermyfiles.com/) I lost all my music one time (over 80gig) talk about heart failure :220v: but got them all back.
Good luck
C.T. :wink:

Kiddunot
05-22-2006, 09:12 AM
If you have a second computer or a friend with a computer you can take your hard drive out and connect it to another computer on the secondary channel then you should be able to have access to it. If that does not work, check to see what hard drive it is example would be maxtor, western digital, etc. and you can go to there website and download some tools.

Cheap Thrills
05-22-2006, 09:21 AM
I forgot to mention that the TOC first line of format was corrupt on my drive.
if thats what happened to yours it will appear that the drive is unformatted you wont be able to access it with another computer or the manufactures drive tools.
Good Luck
C.T. :wink:

Old Guy
05-22-2006, 07:48 PM
I am looking for any kind of diagnostic tools to troubleshoot a faulty drive. The pc recognizes the drive but I cant get into it. I need to get into it to recover some data. Anyone have any info to help a fellow boater out? thanks in advance.....
Not much to go on here......however.....if this drive has Windows XP on it.....and IF this is the "boot" drive......and IF it does not boot as it should........THEN...... this might help
How to Repair the Boot Sector:
If XP won't start it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files.
To replace damaged ntldr and ntdetect.com you can copy fresh files from the XP CD using the COPY command. Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console (as above). At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:
To repair a damaged Boot Sector at the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"
Good Luck
old