PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new place to go on the 4th

GunninGopher
05-23-2006, 09:14 AM
I've got a couple of kids, so we usually avoid the big weekends, but we just got a late surprise, the Grandparents are going to step up and take 'em all weekend through Tuesday morning. I called the usual haunts (Hidden Shores, Martinez, Fishers) and they won't have any RV spots open, or rentals available, as I expected. The wife simply refuses to stay at the Fishers air-strip, and I'm not too keen to run my generator for 3 nights straight anyways.
I run a 19' daycruiser and I'm looking for a place with hookups down river from Parker. We've got 1 couple coming with us that just had another kid (not coming) and will be ready for a good time, and another couple that has never been to the river. We'll hope to be able find a decent sand bar scene with some dancing for the girls, and horse shoes for the guys, as well as a bar to go to 1 or 2 nights.
My neighbors have a place at McIntyre and have said we should go up there sometime, but I've never stayed there and don't remember how great the river scene is. Besides, they are going to have all the kids along, and I'd rather meet up with them when we have ours. Also, I know they don't have a bar or anything there. Is hippie cove still going off for the daytime?
I went to Lost Lake about 10 years ago for a poker run, and don't remember much about it, since my in-laws arranged everything on that trip. I do remember there were about 5 resorts on the poker run and the river looked pretty nice, as I recall. I'm thinking about going back to that area, but don't remember much about the parks there or what they offer. How's Aha Quin? Oxbow? Mayflower? Waterwheel? It looks like those must have been the 5 that we stopped at. That poker run would be fun to do again whenever that is.
I'd really like to go to Martinez/Fishers, since that's where I've been going for umpteen years and we'll run into a bunch of old friends there, but without hookups it doesn't look like it is going to work out for this trip.

GunninGopher
05-23-2006, 09:55 AM
I had some bad information. It looks like Oxbow is down by Palo Verde, so that is not by Lost Lake. Mayflower is below the Palo Verde Diversion Dam, so that isn't what I'm after, either.
I've driven through Big River, and it doesn't look like there are any weekender spots, are there?
I can't find Shazit on the internet about this area, and I've only boated there once, 10 years ago. I called Aha Quin and the lady there told me that Lost Lake and Twin Palms are the only places that offer weekender hookups. Anyone have any opinions on those 2 spots?

GunninGopher
05-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Not that anyone apparently cares but we're going to be at Lost Lake. I'm on the waiting list at Twin Palms, but doubt I'll change.
I could use a some advice on what to do while there. What sand bars or 'resorts' have what types of scenes?

LLGirl
05-25-2006, 08:49 PM
Not much to do out there except boating! The upper sand bar (turn left out of the lagoon) is pretty nice. Gets crowded on holiday weekends. You get a lot of people from Lost Lake and Big River there. There are several sandbars down river. The one with the palapas are usually Hidden Valley locals. These sandbars are also accessable by vehicle (air down if in a two wheel drive truck - very silty sand!)
As far as racing goes, that doesn't seem to happen much anymore. If they do, it will be on a holiday weekend, so you might get lucky. Not sure if the people told you when you made a reservation, but an older man named Herman rents golf carts. I'd reserve one early as he tends to rent a lot on the big weekends. Since you're camping, you'll be kind of far from the store so you may want one. Also nice to cruise around in the evening and check the place out. Usually on big weekends someone is throwing a good party.
Hope that helps! We have a place at LL and will be there on the 4th. We're heading out tomorrow night for Memorial!! Can't wait!

QuickJet
05-26-2006, 01:23 AM
We'll be at LL Friday in these two boats.
http://www.norcal1320.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10085/Cole%20boat.jpg
http://www.norcal1320.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10085/phone%20pic%207.jpg

GunninGopher
05-26-2006, 05:56 AM
Not much to do out there except boating! The upper sand bar (turn left out of the lagoon) is pretty nice. Gets crowded on holiday weekends. You get a lot of people from Lost Lake and Big River there. There are several sandbars down river. The one with the palapas are usually Hidden Valley locals. These sandbars are also accessable by vehicle (air down if in a two wheel drive truck - very silty sand!)
As far as racing goes, that doesn't seem to happen much anymore. If they do, it will be on a holiday weekend, so you might get lucky. Not sure if the people told you when you made a reservation, but an older man named Herman rents golf carts. I'd reserve one early as he tends to rent a lot on the big weekends. Since you're camping, you'll be kind of far from the store so you may want one. Also nice to cruise around in the evening and check the place out. Usually on big weekends someone is throwing a good party.
Hope that helps! We have a place at LL and will be there on the 4th. We're heading out tomorrow night for Memorial!! Can't wait!
Thanks for the tips. I've got a brown/pearl 19' Charger Day Cruiser. Maybe I'll call Lost Lake and ask about the golf cart guy.

GunninGopher
05-26-2006, 09:43 AM
Not sure if the people told you when you made a reservation, but an older man named Herman rents golf carts. I'd reserve one early as he tends to rent a lot on the big weekends.
Wow, I just had an interesting conversation with Mrs. Herman just now. She didn't seem to want to take a reservation on one, at least for that weekend. She said she'll have one ready.
It was pretty funny. Folks who live on the river are all the same.

POP-AGGRESSOR
05-26-2006, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=GunninGopher] GO TO MEXICO - NO ONE THERE !!!! EVEN THERE PRESIDENT HAS COME TO THE STATES TO GET HIS CITIZENSHIP AND ALL THE BENEs WITH IT. hELL LETS TAKE OVER BAJA WHILE ITS EMPTY !!! ITS AWESOME COUNTRY.

LLGirl
05-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Wow, I just had an interesting conversation with Mrs. Herman just now. She didn't seem to want to take a reservation on one, at least for that weekend. She said she'll have one ready.
It was pretty funny. Folks who live on the river are all the same.
Ahh yes! She is a little different!