PDA

View Full Version : Help, how to manually spin motor?

Nubbs
05-23-2006, 10:08 AM
Hey all, I need some help here. I need to manually spin my engine. But, I don't have access to the front of the crankshaft. I can not use the starter to spin the motor as I'm checking flexplate/starter clearances. Any ideas? I use a top mount starter, so the mounting position for the bottom mount starter is available. Is there some sort of tool/device that bolts into the starter location and allows you to turn the flexplate via a drive gear? Just a thought.
Thanks

dtr352
05-23-2006, 10:22 AM
I know they make a tool that grabs the flexplate teeth and lets you turn it by hand. It is basically a breaker bar with a different end. I have used them to turn over an engine to install transmisions. It is easiest with all the plugs removed and the carb plates open. I don't know if this will work but I am almost possative they sell them at sears.

Nubbs
05-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the idea. That sounds good, but I don't know if there is enough space to get a "wrench" on the flywheel and spin it. I'll check it out.
Thanks

Hallett19
05-23-2006, 11:27 AM
That flexplate spinner is a pretty big gizmo, if you are short on room, you might not have much luck with it. With the plugs out the motor should spin fairly easy, but not easy enough to do anything by hand, maybe if you can spin the alternator it MIGHT move the motor, but only with the plugs out. Good luck !

CARLSON-JET
05-23-2006, 11:29 AM
Nubbs, I have used the alternator before using a 1/2 drive rachet and socket. you have to add tension to the belt with your hand. please be sure he power to the dist. is disconnected. R.B.

CARLSON-JET
05-23-2006, 11:30 AM
was typing while hallet was posting.. ya. what he said

kcsteck
05-23-2006, 11:33 AM
stick screwdriver in driveshaft and spin

1978 Rogers
05-23-2006, 11:43 AM
stick screwdriver in driveshaft and spin
Thats what I was thinking. I have to use a breaker bar when I tighten the driveline to keep it from spinning the motor.

Nubbs
05-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'll give it a shot.
Nubbs