PDA

View Full Version : Wax that works??

GUGS102
05-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Looking for a wax that will last. Boats gel and brown. I've tried everything I can find and usually lasts for no more than a month before I re apply. Anything better out there? Anything specific for gel?
Thanks,
Gugs

Nucking futs
05-23-2006, 11:02 AM
I use a teflon coating from west marine. Ive tries several waxes and they never last. Someone told me that the wax melts at 89* anyways. Water spots wipe right off with the teflon.

455Rocket
05-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Regular ol' Turtle Wax lasts longer than anything I have tried... even the $8.00/bottle marine stuff.
Do you wipe your boat down w/ anything at the ramp? That's where wax meets its demise...

NautiTwins
05-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I use Meguires cleaning wax followed by two coats of the finish was, every trip out. Did not really need it but I liked the hull to look new, so I did it everytime out.
Also you have to wipe your boat down after use. Distilled water and vinager work well to get the water spots off.
Just my .02!

NELSON#109
05-23-2006, 03:13 PM
I use a teflon coating from west marine. Ive tries several waxes and they never last. Someone told me that the wax melts at 89* anyways. Water spots wipe right off with the teflon.
THATS WHAT I USE, AND IT SEEMS TO BE THE BEST FOR GEL COAT. ITS THE SAME AS STAR BRIGHT TEFLON WAX.... YOU CAN BUY BOTH AT WEST MARINE, BUT THE WEST BRAND IS CHEAPER. CARNUBA WAX IS A WAIST OF TIME ON A BOAT... IT BREAKS DOWN AT ABOUT 85* LIKE FUTS SAID.

79Challenger
05-23-2006, 03:24 PM
THATS WHAT I USE, AND IT SEEMS TO BE THE BEST FOR GEL COAT. ITS THE SAME AS STAR BRIGHT TEFLON WAX.... YOU CAN BUY BOTH AT WEST MARINE, BUT THE WEST BRAND IS CHEAPER. CARNUBA WAX IS A WAIST OF TIME ON A BOAT... IT BREAKS DOWN AT ABOUT 85* LIKE FUTS SAID.
Hey Nelson. Haven't seen you around here in a while. Remember me? Still got those badges?

Beer-30
05-23-2006, 03:26 PM
I use Meguires cleaning wax followed by two coats of the finish was, every trip out. Did not really need it but I liked the hull to look new, so I did it everytime out.
Also you have to wipe your boat down after use. Distilled water and vinager work well to get the water spots off.
Just my .02!
Vinegar will strip wax right off.
I use Eagle One "Wipe-n-Shine" spray detailer. It removes the days collection of waterspots and is designed to help your wax between waxings. Will not strip. I happen to like Eagle One as it is readily available at any auto place. Any of the other brands work just as well. Meguiars, Mothers, Griots.

gregr1971
05-23-2006, 05:55 PM
DuPont teflon wax, black bottle, on the shelf at wal-mart, 5.00, real slick! and lasts too!

Jbb
05-23-2006, 06:03 PM
http://www.highwayshine.com/400_DSC03124.jpg

GUGS102
05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I bought the teflon and instantly was NOT impressed. Did not remove any oixidation at all. So after pondering the situation, I used an cleaner wax to pull of the junk on top and tried the teflon after. About the same finish but if it lasts longer, I'm all over it. AZ is not nice to anything so hopefully this stuff will work.
Gugs

Jbb
05-23-2006, 06:41 PM
I bought the teflon and instantly was NOT impressed. Did not remove any oixidation at all. So after pondering the situation, I used an cleaner wax to pull of the junk on top and tried the teflon after. About the same finish but if it lasts longer, I'm all over it. AZ is not nice to anything so hopefully this stuff will work.
Gugs
Wax is designed to protect an already clean surface.....cleaner{another name for a very mild compound} is designed to level the surface and remove some oxidation......If the oxidation has progressed too far....Its time to buff...or in extreme cases sand and buff...then wax.....cleaner/waxes....do very little of either...

shueman
05-23-2006, 06:53 PM
I've found that a spray bottle with the water you are boating in works great for a launch ramp clean-up. No water spots.
For daily detailing, I mix plain od' Turtlewax and water. Just spray and wipe to a shine. Cheap and functional.

NELSON#109
05-23-2006, 07:52 PM
Wax is designed to protect an already clean surface.....cleaner{another name for a very mild compound} is designed to level the surface and remove some oxidation......If the oxidation has progressed too far....Its time to buff...or in extreme cases sand and buff...then wax.....cleaner/waxes....do very little of either...
THATS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. COLOR SAND, BUFF, THAN WAX WITH TEFLON... ITS THE SHIT FOR GEL COAT.

Cs19
05-23-2006, 07:57 PM
BUFF
That chit will buff out

NELSON#109
05-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Hey Nelson. Haven't seen you around here in a while. Remember me? Still got those badges?
WOW, FORGOT ALL ABOUT THOSE... ACTUALLY I DO STILL HAVE THEM SOMEWHERE. HAVENT BEEN AROUND AS MUCH. ABOUT THE TIME I WAS GONNA SEND THOSE THINGS OUT, BUISNESS EXPLODED. IVE BEEN WORKING ALMOST 80 HRS EVERY WEEK. SOMETIMES UP TO 38 HRS AT A TIME W/ NO SLEEP... BEEN BALLS TO THE WALL. ONE DAY IM IN YOSIMITE, THAN TURN AROUND AND DRIVE STRAIGHT TO LONG BEACH, THEN STRAIGHT TO LA, THEN ON TO BAKERSFIELD... THEN UP TO SAN FRANSISCO, AND SO ON. FINALLY HAD A DAY OFF TODAY.. DONT GET TO MANY OF THOSE THESE DAYS. TRYING TO CATCH UP ON LAUNDRY. BEEN FREE BALLIN IT FOR A WEEK. SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS AND ILL TRY AGAIN... TAKIN THIS FRYDAY OFF AND MONDAY NO MATTER WHAT WORK COMES UP... GOING TO MEXICO. I NEED A BREAK... I NEED HOOKERS... I NEED BOOZE... I NEED SLEEP... GOTTA GO, LEAVING FOR WORK AT 2AM....

Squirtcha?
05-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Dude...............that friggin eye creeps me out.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860mainevil4t4tEYEwqdw.jpg
I agree with the statment vinegar and water eats the wax off. I've seen it a thousand times.
I wipe mine down with plain old water as soon as I get off the ramp.
I use turtle wax on a regular basis.
Color sanding and buffing when it needs it (typically color sand once a year, and a good buffing twice a year).

RCB19
05-23-2006, 09:52 PM
I've had the best luck with a urathane based wax instead of the parafin based stuff. A detailer told me years ago that urathane based works best for boats especially if they are used in extreme heat like at the river in the summer. Regular wax used to pool up on the deck when it got wet and left spots like a mother focker. Believe it or not I just use the cheezy neon green bottle of Turtle Waxes 2001 finish. Urathane based and the shiot works great. I have a mostly black finished boat and that is a true test. Just my opinion but it has worked for me.

Cas
05-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I've been using some stuff called Astro Shield instead of wax on all my vehicles for years. It's a polish and a glaze, no wax. The first time I used it was about 1982 or so, found it at the lumber yard I used to deal with....been using it ever since.
http://www.astropolish.com/
The only place I've found it recently is on the net but it's pretty pricey. I contacted the manufacturer and just bought a case :D
the above address is not the manufacturer.
UNCONDITIONAL GUARANTEE:
You must be pleased in everyway with results you get with Astro Shield or you may return unused portion of can for MONEY BACK REFUND within 3 years of purchase. Must be accompanied by sales slip!

kachina_labala
05-24-2006, 05:36 AM
I use the collinite fiberglass boat wax. It has a great shine. 2 steps that I take to make the wax last. 1) as soon as I pull the boat out of the water I dry the whole boat. This keeps the water spots from becoming hard and the boat looks good for the pull home. 2) Before I go out I rinse off the hull and use Miguires minute wax. Spray it on a wet surface and dry it off. Its easy and does a great job. I only put the base coat of wax down 1 time a year and it looks great all year.

HammerDown
05-24-2006, 12:56 PM
THATS WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. COLOR SAND, BUFF, THAN WAX WITH TEFLON... ITS THE SHIT FOR GEL COAT.
Rumor has it, unless baked in/on...the "Teflon" hype is BS. :messedup:

GUGS102
05-24-2006, 01:01 PM
Rumor has it, unless baked in/on...the "Teflon" hype is BS. :messedup:
I can cook eggs on the deck, that should doube as a bake process :)
Ran another coat of the teflon on this morning, Looks great, we'll see how long it lasts in AZ.

moneysucker
05-24-2006, 01:43 PM
I use eagle one wax as you dry all the time. Works for me.

NautiTwins
05-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Vinegar will strip wax right off.
I use Eagle One "Wipe-n-Shine" spray detailer. It removes the days collection of waterspots and is designed to help your wax between waxings. Will not strip. I happen to like Eagle One as it is readily available at any auto place. Any of the other brands work just as well. Meguiars, Mothers, Griots.
I have never had a problem with it taking the wax off.

bighead
05-24-2006, 02:11 PM
I have tried a variety of waxes and coatings the last two years and nothing really impressed but recently tried the new eagle nanowax and nanowax/polish and I am pretty happy with the results on the boat and my 88 K-5 with original red paint.

79Challenger
05-25-2006, 06:44 AM
WOW, FORGOT ALL ABOUT THOSE... ACTUALLY I DO STILL HAVE THEM SOMEWHERE. HAVENT BEEN AROUND AS MUCH. ABOUT THE TIME I WAS GONNA SEND THOSE THINGS OUT, BUISNESS EXPLODED. IVE BEEN WORKING ALMOST 80 HRS EVERY WEEK. SOMETIMES UP TO 38 HRS AT A TIME W/ NO SLEEP... BEEN BALLS TO THE WALL. ONE DAY IM IN YOSIMITE, THAN TURN AROUND AND DRIVE STRAIGHT TO LONG BEACH, THEN STRAIGHT TO LA, THEN ON TO BAKERSFIELD... THEN UP TO SAN FRANSISCO, AND SO ON. FINALLY HAD A DAY OFF TODAY.. DONT GET TO MANY OF THOSE THESE DAYS. TRYING TO CATCH UP ON LAUNDRY. BEEN FREE BALLIN IT FOR A WEEK. SEND ME YOUR ADDRESS AND ILL TRY AGAIN... TAKIN THIS FRYDAY OFF AND MONDAY NO MATTER WHAT WORK COMES UP... GOING TO MEXICO. I NEED A BREAK... I NEED HOOKERS... I NEED BOOZE... I NEED SLEEP... GOTTA GO, LEAVING FOR WORK AT 2AM....
Congratulations on the business taking off, a good problem to have! I will shoot you an email.
Careful with them senoritas!

76elimspecial
05-25-2006, 10:54 AM
GO TO BoatWaxPlus.com. THIS STUFF IS AWESOME. gOOD PRICE TOO. USE A GOOD WAX AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON THEN USE THE BOAT WAX PLUS EVERYTIME YOU PULL OFF THE WATER AS A WIPEDOWN WAX. IT GET RID OF ALL THE WATER SPOTS, CLEANS, AND LEAVES YOU WITH A COAT OF WAX. LEAVES THE BOAT LOOKING GOOD ALL SEASON.