PDA

View Full Version : Holley 780 Help

Hallett19
05-23-2006, 11:38 AM
I noticed the other day my squirters on my carb were squirting fine when you open it up, the other day at the lake, they wouldnt squirt again and there is alot of pressure in the line. Fuel pressure drops off immediatley after turn off which is not normal (or is it) ?
I dont know much of anything about carbs, does it sound like it just needs to be cleaned out ? I pulled the needle and seat and it was clean and good movment.

502 JET
05-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I noticed the other day my squirters on my carb were squirting fine when you open it up, the other day at the lake, they wouldnt squirt again and there is alot of pressure in the line. Fuel pressure drops off immediatley after turn off which is not normal (or is it) ?
I dont know much of anything about carbs, does it sound like it just needs to be cleaned out ? I pulled the needle and seat and it was clean and good movement.
WARNING GAS IS FLAMABLE AND YOU CAN BLOW UP YOUR BOAT CLEAN UP ANY SPILLED FUEL AND LET THE BOAT AIR OUT BEFORE STARTING THE MOTOR!!
First stuff paper towels into the carb so you do not drop any thing inside.Remover the squirter there is a gasket under the screw and under the squirter.Underneath it there is a check valve needle.Most likely it is stuck.With the squirter off push the acellerator pump arm down quickly and the needle should pop out.If not use a pick tool and try to wiggle the needle loose.You could spray some penetrating oil into the hole and it may release it.The other problem could be the check valve under the accelerator pump.You would have to remove bowl to check it.If you do not have reusable fuel bowl gaskets this will require having new gaskets.If your accelerator pump diaphragm is bad gas would leak out from that area.

FASTRAT
05-23-2006, 04:42 PM
time to get a re-build kit & clean & re-build the carb...its easy...kits come with everything u need + directions...get 1 & do it...u will be happy with the results...u can use solvent in lieu of carb cleaner...alot cheaper!...just my .02 cents
fastrat

GofastRacer
05-23-2006, 06:13 PM
A little tip to preserve a carb: When you park it for any amount of time, take it all apart and blow dry it completely, add a tad of Marvel to all rubber, it'll last a long long time before needing a rebuild. Also adding Marvel to the gas will preseve your braided lines!.. Btw, it also acts as a great leak detector!..

Hallett19
05-24-2006, 08:03 AM
it runs between 6.5 and 7 lbs of fuel pressure and I have a mechanical pump.
I'm sure I'll end up just taking it apart and cleaning it out, it seems I have to do it every season after it sits with out use, 1 week shy of a year I havent used it.
The other day when I went to check the needle and seat, I removed the big bolt up top and it squirted fuel like a fire hose..... is that normal ? I didnt think the bowls would stay pressurized like that, the rear bowl was under pressure too.... wasnt sure if this is normal or not...

jmherbert
05-24-2006, 10:00 AM
it runs between 6.5 and 7 lbs of fuel pressure and I have a mechanical pump.
I'm sure I'll end up just taking it apart and cleaning it out, it seems I have to do it every season after it sits with out use, 1 week shy of a year I havent used it.
The other day when I went to check the needle and seat, I removed the big bolt up top and it squirted fuel like a fire hose..... is that normal ? I didnt think the bowls would stay pressurized like that, the rear bowl was under pressure too.... wasnt sure if this is normal or not...
Thats normal, all it means is your fuel pump was in the pumping position (under pressure) when the motor stopped, all it means is your fuel pump and bowl needle/seat aren't leaking :rollside: