PDA

View Full Version : Staining decks

Burn Out
05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
I have in the past been doing the power wash and removing the old deck color and reapplying the deck stain. I do this about every 2 years. Question is, if I just wash the deck and apply the new stain, like every year, ok? Or just do what I do and completely strip off the old stain and reapply? I did this again this season and last time I applied a brown color on the deck, so this time I bought a light natural color and applied....looked bad, since the old colors, where I didn't completely strip off was there visible thru the lighter new stain. So I couldn't find the right color brown, so I went with Brick Red, and this is a linseed oil based sealant. Looks good, but a pain in the ass to reapply to all the deck railings and lattice!
:cool:

YeLLowBoaT
05-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Well it all depends on what your using and the condtion of the deck. From the way it sounds your doing more damage with the power washer then good.
Then again it might need to be striped... I wish I could be more helpful, but with out seeing it and knowing what products you have used on it its hard to say.