PDA

View Full Version : Just made Panther history

wrenchdaddy
05-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Well here you go, its finished. The first Panther diverter that can shoot a decent rooster tail. The pics aren't great but my gilrfriend said I was going too fast so I will get some more pics as soon as possible. I will give details later. Keep in mind that this is a panther pump all the way, no berk nozzles or anything. A LOT of machining and welding, it has taken over 5 months to finish. What do you think????
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2980boat_rooster_2.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2980boat_rooster_1.JPG

cave
05-23-2006, 07:32 PM
I think other Panther peps are gunna get a big a$$ chubby from all
your hard work!

malcolm
05-23-2006, 07:50 PM
What kind of performance differences have you noticed?

wrenchdaddy
05-23-2006, 07:57 PM
I haven't got to run it wide open yet so its hard to tell. It will definately porpise when I put it all the way up unless you ease into it. Just haven't had it on the water enough to see what difference its going to make. There is no down travel on the diverter, only up so thats a con but she jumps up on plane pretty quick anyway.

El Prosecutor
05-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Nice work there WD! How about some closeup photos of the new hardware?

beerjet
05-23-2006, 10:40 PM
I think you are the f@ckin man .............
that's all .:D

MudPumper
05-23-2006, 11:13 PM
my gilrfriend said I was going too fast
Your girlfriend always says that for some reason. :rollside:

Devilman
05-24-2006, 03:08 AM
Damn, Wrenchdaddy! Looks pretty sweet! Congrats on the completion, I knew you had been working on it for a while. Nice to see it paid off for you.:cool: And yes, keep the pics coming & more details when you get the chance! :rollside:

Greaser
05-24-2006, 09:42 AM
Nice job man!!!!! Cant wait to see it in person!!!!

Cas
05-24-2006, 09:57 AM
good job WD! I'm also looking forward to seeing some numbers.

AZKC
05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Nice work and thank you for sticking with it. :)
Next goal is to get a Panther to the 90mph mark :crossx: I'm pretty sure someone has cracked 80mph. :crossx:

wrenchdaddy
05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
The main reason I attemted this whole thing is just to prove to people that it can be done. Ya I like being able to throw some tail but to do something thats never been done before is what its all about. Might hit the lake this weekend but not sure, might have to wait till next week to do more testing.

Devilman
05-24-2006, 06:44 PM
The main reason I attemted this whole thing is just to prove to people that it can be done. Ya I like being able to throw some tail but to do something thats never been done before is what its all about. Might hit the lake this weekend but not sure, might have to wait till next week to do more testing.
I tell you one thing & correct me if I'm wrong..... Didn't you start this whole project using the pump out of your boat?? Not an extra that you had mocked up on the bench, but the very pump you were running? That takes serious backbone in my opinion & would say you are to be commended for it. Having the "guts to cut" is one thing, but to take into consideration the possibility that you may render your pump useless, at great monetary expense, not too mention time & labor involved, & forge ahead anyway? That is to be applauded bro. That's my opinion anyway... Once again, congratulations & I look forward to seeing more pics & details. Hopefully you'll drag yer butt to Somerville some time when we are all around & we'll get to meet! :cool: :rollside:

wrenchdaddy
05-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Thanks Dman, Ya it was the pump I was/am running. I won't lie, it was kinda hard making that first cut but I has faith that it would work. I just wanted others to know that things can be done, even if they seem impossible. My design is in no way perfect, the welding, etc, etc, can be improved greatly but the fact that it actually worked makes it worth it. And ya I bought a welder and quite a few other things that I had to have to do it without testing it at all to see if it would work. I've heard it a bunch of times "Go big or go home" so I went for it. I'm not a panther fanatic by any means, but i figured since I have one and can't really switch it out I might as well improve it best I can while I have one.
BTW was anybody out at Somerville this past sunday afternoon running around in a loud Taylor style jet? I was gonna chase whoever it was down but I has some ignition problems (two loose wires)

Devilman
05-25-2006, 03:20 AM
Thanks Dman, Ya it was the pump I was/am running. I won't lie, it was kinda hard making that first cut but I has faith that it would work. I just wanted others to know that things can be done, even if they seem impossible. My design is in no way perfect, the welding, etc, etc, can be improved greatly but the fact that it actually worked makes it worth it. And ya I bought a welder and quite a few other things that I had to have to do it without testing it at all to see if it would work. I've heard it a bunch of times "Go big or go home" so I went for it. I'm not a panther fanatic by any means, but i figured since I have one and can't really switch it out I might as well improve it best I can while I have one.
BTW was anybody out at Somerville this past sunday afternoon running around in a loud Taylor style jet? I was gonna chase whoever it was down but I has some ignition problems (two loose wires)
Heard that I did. Glad you got it together, could have been a boring summer without it.:D Not sure about Somerville, what color was the boat?

wrenchdaddy
05-25-2006, 04:26 AM
It was a dark color i couldn't tell, too far away.

Demon_Knight
08-05-2006, 05:45 AM
Hey .. New here on HB forums .. I have a 1978 Cheyene Hull with a Panther Pump with a Place Diverter. I will post a link with in depth pics of what it looks likein a few days ( Need to upload the pics ) . I Got mine done in Westminster California. By a place called ADM boatworks. http://www.admboatworks.com/. The guys name is Don. A little grumpy at first . But he gets the job done fast. Cost me a small fortune as Panthers seem to. Let me know if you want any key pics and Ill do my best to send em.. laters Chris

centerhill condor
08-05-2006, 07:32 AM
those Aggies can do anything! good job and good follow through!

wrenchdaddy
08-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Im not knocking aggies by any means but I never went to A&M, Blinndergarten all the way baby! Its too bad they didn't have any shop or welding classes at the Bryan campus or it would have turned out even nicer!

SmokinLowriderSS
08-05-2006, 05:30 PM
Congrats dude, I'm curious myself to see if ya get any (how much) performance gains from the levering the boat higher. Best of luck to ya. Kinda sounds like you may be able to create a product folks want, if you could develope it into kit form of some sort. probably not a very high-volume one tho unfortunately.
There is another thread just now from a guy looking for you, the panther diverter guy.
Again, best luck to you. :)

BrendellaJet
08-05-2006, 09:19 PM
somebody post some pictures!

Jeanyus
08-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Sound like a lot of work, good job. No offense but the only question that hasn't been asked is -------------------------------------------------------- why? :) :rollside:

wrenchdaddy
08-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Jeanyus, you have a very good question there. In fact that is the very same question I asked myself countless times while I was fabricating that thing. True, it does not help getting on plane faster, it only has up travel and its mostly all for show, but what kept me at it for 5 months was the simple fact that it has NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE. (At least not that I've heard) Im not an engineer or anything like that, just a college kid who doesn't like to be told "it can't be done". I know its still a Panther and theres a lot of things about the pump I still don't like, BUT if you ever see my boat at the lake throwing a roost and you ask yourself "Thats a Panther???" It makes it all worth it.

Squirtcha?
08-06-2006, 09:21 AM
This is my thinking (such as it is).........When you trim a boat for speed w/diverter, you never trim down past level (at least I haven't). Granted if you want a good holeshot, or pull skiers etc. trimming down could be beneficial. However, for speed and trimming the boat with a slightly bow up attitude, you'd be trimming the diverter up. Apparently this thing'll do that.
If the holeshot is still good I could see where this might actually do you some good.
I'll be curious to hear how it does when you can gps it on some good water.

wrenchdaddy
08-31-2007, 09:15 AM
I know its been a while, but I've been busy with a new job and many other things. I know that everyone wants to here some speed numbers, I don;t have a top speed yet because everytime I go out its not smooth enough and I usually have a boatload of people with me. But cruising at 20mph and then hitting the diverter to make about a 4-5 ft tail gives me a 4 mph increase. You can definatley feel it air out of the water, the ride gets smoother. Maybe Cas or somebody can answer this, when i start trimming up real high the boat will porpoise real bad, is there anyway I can adjust my rideplate to compensate?
P.S. More rooster pics coming after canyon lake next week

Longstr
08-31-2007, 10:00 AM
I know its been a while, but I've been busy with a new job and many other things. I know that everyone wants to here some speed numbers, I don;t have a top speed yet because everytime I go out its not smooth enough and I usually have a boatload of people with me. But cruising at 20mph and then hitting the diverter to make about a 4-5 ft tail gives me a 4 mph increase. You can definatley feel it air out of the water, the ride gets smoother. Maybe Cas or somebody can answer this, when i start trimming up real high the boat will porpoise real bad, is there anyway I can adjust my rideplate to compensate?
P.S. More rooster pics coming after canyon lake next week
I got a panther pump on my Galaxie... that was one of the two reasons I am ditching it.... PUMP and motor was not big enough.. :mad:
WELL done... Well done.. :jawdrop:

H20MOFO
08-31-2007, 12:38 PM
That Must Be A Different Cat Than The Panther I Had. The Only Way Mine Was Goin To Hit 90 Was If I Drove It On A Waterfall. I'm A Little Confused 'Panther Jet Has A Diverter 4-sale. Or Did You Improve On That? Just Curious.

wrenchdaddy
08-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Ya my design is pretty much first of its kind as far as I know. Instead of putting a piece of 4 inch square tubing inside the nozzle to adjust the trim like the one panther sells I designed one that allows the entire nozzle assembly to move up and down, just like a berk or Dom. you get the full effect and the roost is 10 times higher.

wrenchdaddy
08-31-2007, 06:34 PM
Heres a pic from the side.

78TaylorSS460
08-31-2007, 06:51 PM
Is that on Lake Bryan?

Cas
08-31-2007, 07:28 PM
that's some good stuff WD! WTG with your thinking on that!
Porpoising - You might want to try a little longer ride plate but be aware the reverse may not work too well when the diverter is all the way down.
The other thing is you might want to put a nozzle stop right at the point where it starts the porpoising.

78TaylorSS460
09-01-2007, 10:26 AM
Im not knocking aggies by any means but I never went to A&M, Blinndergarten all the way baby! Its too bad they didn't have any shop or welding classes at the Bryan campus or it would have turned out even nicer!
Blinndergarten is the shiz!! I just got done doing my time there in Byran too! Lake Bryan has some awesome scenery on the weekend!

wrenchdaddy
09-01-2007, 03:06 PM
I've never been on lake bryan, only Somerville up there. I might try a longer ride plate, Im sure I can fab somethin up. No nozzle stop for me I wanna shoot the moon, HAAAAAAAAAAA!