PDA

View Full Version : 24' boat witha a jet???

HefeRaton
05-24-2006, 06:44 AM
I just sold my 19' with a jet and am in the market for a new boat. I found an Ultra 24' with a jet and am wondering if anyone knows how a larger boat will handle with a jet. Prop is the way to go with a larger boat in my opinion, but does anyone have any suggestions or opinions?

voodoomedman
05-24-2006, 06:52 AM
I just sold my 19' with a jet and am in the market for a new boat. I found an Ultra 24' with a jet and am wondering if anyone knows how a larger boat will handle with a jet. Prop is the way to go with a larger boat in my opinion, but does anyone have any suggestions or opinions?
The boat has a notched delta pad so the jet is probably setup well on it. That being said I'm sure it doesn't go anywhere near as fast as with a prop on it. Depends on what your looking to use it for I guess.

castone001
05-24-2006, 07:05 AM
my buddy has an older 22' foot jet, says its more of a cruiser, rides bitchin but.........uses WAY MORE gas!

Dan Lorenze
05-24-2006, 07:24 AM
It all depends on what you want to do. I've seen 24' jets from many of the manufactures. I'm sure they handle chop just fine, but I think you'd really have to have some major ponies to get the thing to jump out of the water and move. From my expierience weight is a key factor with jet drives, the bigger the boat the more HP and money you'll need to get the thing to move.
If you're looking at Ultras, you should check out the Ultra 21' stealth also. I took 10 people on a trip from Laughlin to the Sandbar and back last week in mine(I want to say it was around 100 miles round trip), plenty of room for everyone and handled chop better than I thought it would. The 21 is a wide roomy boat yet not as heavy as the boats you're looking at. I too wanted a 24' with a jet, I'm happy with the 21', it's a big little boat. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a 24' Ultra jet too, they're real nice....
I know team Hawaiian has an "offshore" model they sell with jets, I've seen some Commanders and Aftershock jets in 24' too.
Good luck.........
Dan

Dan Lorenze
05-24-2006, 07:37 AM
Hefe, is this the one?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/84026528.htm

HefeRaton
05-24-2006, 07:41 AM
I'm looking for something to handle the chop better and not necessarily looking for top speed. The boat would be used for skiing and wakeboarding, but the fuel thing is a concern. The boat I'm looking at does about 50mph and I'm used to having something that does about 70. I was told I could change the impeller and that would make a diffrence.

HefeRaton
05-24-2006, 07:42 AM
Hefe, is this the one?
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/84026528.htm
Bingo! yeah that's the one, I'm going to try to go see it today.

flat broke
05-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Call John West at Ultra about that boat. To the best of my knowledge, there was only one 247 ever made with a jet and that boat has a little "history" to it. If it is indeed the 247, the good thing is that the running surface of the boat is really only about 22' so you're not pushing quite so much boat around. But you will need some HP to make the thing move.
There is some back info on the boat Here (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63529&highlight=ultra+247+jet)
IfTHIS (http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/2/8/84026528.htm) is this the boat you are looking at? Seems to me it went for less last time it was on Ebay.
Good luck,
Chris

flat broke
05-24-2006, 07:58 AM
Just saw your other post while I was typing my previous resonse. That bit about changing the impeller.... Yeah it might change things, but with a 454 in that boat, don't expect it to change how fast it goes ;) Also, for pulling skiers/boarders outta the hole, I have a feeling you may want to look at a different propulsion system in that size of boat.
Good luck,
Chris

HefeRaton
05-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'll stay away from this one.

hallettman
05-24-2006, 08:20 AM
jets in big boats handle just fine i have a 25 foot hawaiian with a berkely jet and stock ford 460 and easily see 55mph . handles great and extreamly smooth

Statue
05-24-2006, 08:26 AM
Halletman you should GPS your boat. I don't think there is anyway a "stock" 460,
roughly 330hp will push your 25' boat to 55 once let alone all day.

9er
05-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the info guys, I think I'll stay away from this one.
Good idea. That guy has been trying to sell that boat for over a year. I went to look at it about this time last year. The guy selling it was nice but won't hesitate to oversell it. The trailer is roached, alot of the wood in the interior has seen better days. Originally, the boat had a HUGE motor which it certainly needed to push it around. The motor (now a stock 454) when I saw it was nothing more than a nice anchor. The thing has been used in saltwater as well. Definitely a boat you'd have to sink alot of money into to make it as nice as it was when John built it.
The thing was done right originally and I know John put alot of effort & $ into it. The original purchased even screwed him for a few G's.
I was able to get the history from John before I looked at it. And I'm glad I took his advice.
Needless to say, I don't own it..........
My 2c

LAFD
05-24-2006, 08:41 AM
my opinion would be that 22 feet and under go with a jet. anything above that definitly go with a prop.

77Woodbridge
05-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Mine is a 25 footer with 454 JG-A. No problems. For running shallow and small children, can't beat a jet. Everyone's concerned about gas, but everyones still driving SUVs too. My .02 :cool:

jet4fun
05-24-2006, 09:45 AM
dual drives :idea:
by the way, how come the pics dont come up?

Dan Lorenze
05-24-2006, 10:09 AM
jets in big boats handle just fine i have a 25 foot hawaiian with a berkely jet and stock ford 460 and easily see 55mph . handles great and extreamly smooth
That's surprising.. I have an older boat with the same exact configuration (460 330hp JG-A) on my 21, all trimed up on glass down river I'm barely seeing 58 on a good day.. The engine is strong and pump is very efficient.. Those Hawaiian's must be lighter than I thought... You are the man!

Legal Chemistry
05-24-2006, 11:48 AM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/LegalChemistry/boat.jpg I have a Team Hawaiian offshore as well (24 or 25') w/454. With about a full tank of gas and 4 peeps my speeds are mid/low fourties via GPS, and probably tops about 50. It's currently getting a tune-up and reworked pump so it will hopefully be a bit faster now. These are large boats (in turn heavy.) Running a outdrive would pick up mph and economy IMO; however, there was a cost factor. At this point I wanted to get into a larger boat in a price range -this model fit perfect. In chop the boat handles great, comes out of the hole fine (for me), love the size and looks as well. If your in the SD area hit me up and I can take your for a spin next time I'm out. Good Luck!
Now how do I get this picture to work????!?!?!? got it, thanks!

Dan Lorenze
05-24-2006, 12:11 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/LegalChemistry/boat.jpg
To get pics to work in the thread you need to click on the icon that looks like a mountain with the yellow background, then paste the like to your photo at photobucket... :)