PDA

View Full Version : should I ditch the Single Tunnel on the OLds455?

kcsteck
05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
thought id ask for some olds guys advice? I have a 76 Tahiti,455 Olds bored over 30 (461) ARP rod bolts ,aftermarket rods,Oil main restricters,Mondello restricted Pushrods,Stock heads,280H comp cam,Headers,Offy Single 4 Tunnel ram ,750 Speed Demon,Mallory 9000 unilite,timing 12" initial timing Berkley JC with A impellar and I can only turn 4300 RPM with 2 people at 57MPH GPS'd .plugs look clean as a whistle (like lean)
Last year with smaller cam, 600 Holley,and logs it went lean with same tunnel and I sucked 2 valves. dont want a repeat as I am startin to see.
should I change to lower intake for single carb? I see a nice lookin offy Port sonic (2000-7000) not that i will ever go that high that has been port matched for 180$ any ideas if this would help me and get me more MPH and be better all around on my motor.?
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/kcsteck/Jet%20Boat/MVC-011F.jpg
Thanks in advance.
Casey

kcsteck
05-24-2006, 08:23 AM
also not sure Tach is reading correct or not?

YeLLowBoaT
05-24-2006, 08:28 AM
I would get rid of that tunnel ram and single carb. You might as well be using a squirt gun to add fuel to the motor. I would go with ether a single or duel plane and your 750.

Cas
05-24-2006, 08:34 AM
I purchased a single carbed TR a couple of years ago but never put it on. From what I read at the time, a single carbed tunnel ram doesn't supply the A/F mixture equally to all cylinders. Apparently 1, 2, 7 and 8 will be leaner than the middle 4 thus one of the reasons that set up is a little more difficult to tune. It also will increase the chance of burning valves and or pistons on those cylinders.

Cas
05-24-2006, 08:35 AM
btw, real good looking boat!

Taylorman
05-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Your speed and rpms don't sound quite right with an A impeller. You should be around 4600 with an A impeller and should be in the 60's. I'd check my tach.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-24-2006, 08:37 AM
Casey, your boat is clean ass hell!!!!!;)

kcsteck
05-24-2006, 08:55 AM
well the tag says A impellar. dont think it has been changed? it did hit 60.1mph at 4900 RPM by myself with open headers(pulled out restrictors) Im bad. of course like you said Tach could be wrong. Cheap ass Faria or some brand like that for all the guages.
Thanks for the compliments on the boat.
Spent all winter doing body work on it (80 hours plus)and then painted it and put all back together. taken out 3 times now.its gettin better and better but im scared to hurt motor like last year.
so by ditchin ram and going with Single plane or dual plane will it be faster? thats my goal. Id like to go 70 and id be happy!!!
Now thanks to 396 ways to spit I now have a Place diverter Ill be puttin on real soon as I figure out how? will that help in my quest for 70?
Casey

FASTRAT
05-24-2006, 08:57 AM
I would get rid of that tunnel ram and single carb. You might as well be using a squirt gun to add fuel to the motor. I would go with ether a single or duel plane and your 750.
Casey...
i agree with YellowBoat & Cas...chit can the sgl T/R & go with a dual plane manif...Edelbrock RPM air gap works great!...u will be much happier :)
fastrat

kcsteck
05-24-2006, 09:05 AM
they dont make a edelbrock RPM air gap for the olds 455, or even just a Performer RPM they only make a performer period. Correct me if Im wrong but i have been lookn for RPM air gap but no luck. if you know where please tell me.
Casey

Cas
05-24-2006, 09:17 AM
here's the list of intakes for the BBO from Edelbrock
Olds Intake Manifolds (http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/man_olds.html)
you are somewhat limited compared to other engine applications. My stepson put the Victor intake on his relatively stock engine and it worked pretty good, saw a little perf gain over the Performer. The bad thing about them is they are quite pricey, the good thing is they have a high cool factor. Given how wide the Old intakes are, the Victor has pretty long runners which puts the carb way up...almost like a TR.

FASTRAT
05-24-2006, 09:40 AM
they dont make a edelbrock RPM air gap for the olds 455, or even just a Performer RPM they only make a performer period. Correct me if Im wrong but i have been lookn for RPM air gap but no luck. if you know where please tell me.
Casey
Casey...
u r rite...they dont make 1...wow...what a surprize!...only make a Perf RPM for the small blk...i would go with the Performer rather than the Torker or Victor...its a dual plane & will give u better perf overall...just my .02 cents
fastrat

Cas
05-24-2006, 09:55 AM
here's a pic of the Victor, hard to see the manifold itself but you can see how high it is
http://www.laidbackboaters.com/b8244f00.jpg
tough decision ahead...don't you wish you could borrow and test before buying? I tried setting up an exchange deal like that a few years ago on here but it never really took off. Unfortunately, I was the one that got stung....loaned out a set of 3 1/2" exhaust risers and the guy sold the boat then disappeared.

kcsteck
05-24-2006, 10:06 AM
Cas.
yeh wish I could do that.. try it before I buy it. what exactly did your sons boat have in it?Motor 455 had what cam, headers, what kind of pump&impellar,RPMs,speed I deff like the looks of the Victor but it says 4500-7500 and we talkin Olds here where you dont want to go over 5K so I dont think it will see any of its potential. you tell me did it go good?did he ever try a single or dual plane that was lower rpm range?
sorry for so many questions.
Casey

Wild Bill
05-24-2006, 10:12 AM
If you have the $, Victor. If not, Torker. The guy that designed the Victor used to have an Olds in a jet boat. Their tests showed improvements through the whole RPM range. If your jet's on plane, you're turning 3K so you don't need the low end from a dual plane. It's a long way to 70 from where you are, but if you plan on getting there you're going top want a single plane. It won't hurt you now, and it will help later.

FASTRAT
05-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Casey....
here's just a thought...u have a pretty stout mtr...why not chng the top to a 2x4 T/R & run a pair of 650's??...i have a couple of Edelbrock 650's u could try!...just throwin' that out there! :)
fastrat

kcsteck
05-24-2006, 10:33 AM
thanks for the offer but I have a offy tunnel and I have not seen and dual tops for it.im kind of leanin tords the Victor or Torker like Bill said.
Thanks tho!
Casey

FASTRAT
05-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Casey...
go to the "Spam" forum...there is a Holley street dominator manif sgl plane for sale for a 455...pg 6...wants $75...might still have it...the person's handle is LynnsJet...just trying to help out...good manif & the price is rite
fastrat

Cas
05-24-2006, 07:00 PM
Cas.
yeh wish I could do that.. try it before I buy it. what exactly did your sons boat have in it?Motor 455 had what cam, headers, what kind of pump&impellar,RPMs,speed I deff like the looks of the Victor but it says 4500-7500 and we talkin Olds here where you dont want to go over 5K so I dont think it will see any of its potential. you tell me did it go good?did he ever try a single or dual plane that was lower rpm range?
sorry for so many questions.
Casey
KC,
He had a 455 bored 30 over, not sure of the cam but it really wasn't anything too special, Bassett OT's, an 850 DP Holley with a Jacuzzi pump. When he got the boat, it came with a Torker and a pos carb. 4300 rpms
Had the carb redone by Bigs Performance and gained 200 rpms
Changed the Torker for a Performer and it went down to 4400
Replaced dual point with an MSD set-up - 4500
installed the Victor - 4800
To be honest, I tried to talk him out of buying it because of the 4500-7000 deal but it did work out pretty good. All the info is based on his boat and set-up, you may or may not see the same results (disclaimer :D )
That street dominator doesn't sound too awfully bad!

gregr1971
05-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Casey, i have a pic of that intake from the spam section, almost identical to my torker, real clean,and well worth 75.00, i would like to have a shot at that tunnel ram if you decide to get rid of it.....

kcsteck
05-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Cas. thanks for gettin back to me. Sounds like a good deal. I can get a used VICTOR from a ***boater on here but he wants 350 and I think thats to steep for used. also see a real nice intake on ebay for $180 thaT IS A OFFY PORT SONICE BASICLY NEW, PORT MATCHED AND COMES WITH GASKETS. iM THINKIN THAT ONE OR WE SEE WHAT THE DOMINATOR LOOKS LIKE.
DECISIONS DECISIONS???
cASEY

n8dawg
05-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Nice looking boat. A chevy would look alot better in it!
I also have a 455 olds. Tunnel ram dual 450 holley's. The motor pretty much stock, 9.7:1 compression. Jacuzzi pump (do not size on Imp.) My best is a gps'd 65.5mph at 5100rpm. You might want to check out Taylorman's post for his quest for 70 w/ a 455 olds! He made it! With a victor intake and single carb set up! Check it out. Makes me jealous.
Good luck

n8dawg
05-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Cas. thanks for gettin back to me. Sounds like a good deal. I can get a used VICTOR from a ***boater on here but he wants 350 and I think thats to steep for used. also see a real nice intake on ebay for $180 thaT IS A OFFY PORT SONICE BASICLY NEW, PORT MATCHED AND COMES WITH GASKETS. iM THINKIN THAT ONE OR WE SEE WHAT THE DOMINATOR LOOKS LIKE.
DECISIONS DECISIONS???
cASEY
My advise would be to read as much as you can about the olds and know your motor before buying anything! Start by doing a search here on the boards.

poncho-pwr
05-24-2006, 10:58 PM
You can get a dual carb top for your tunnel ram here http://www.mondellotwister.com/IntakeFuelSys.htm for $199.00 or here http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=2561 for $188.34

mrswetdream3
05-25-2006, 07:44 AM
You can put whatever you want on top of it, but if you can't get it out of the engine, you can't get it in. What I mean is, if your heads wont let the motor breathe, your intake aint doing squat. What heads are you running?

kcsteck
05-25-2006, 09:42 AM
I have K heads on it. I heard the diff between all the stock prod heads was so small it didnt matter which ones you run ,C,K,etc. Unless you go with aftermarket aluminum heads. Is that not the case? Or are you talkin if I had porting and polishing done etc?
Casey

kcsteck
05-25-2006, 12:15 PM
I went with the Victor. ill be sellin the Tunnel ram its a offy for a single 4 that is polished. Let me know if anyone interested. looks real nice!
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/kcsteck/737b691c.jpg
Casey

Taylorman
05-25-2006, 01:13 PM
Your gonna love it. Will run much better than that ram with a single carb.

gregr1971
05-25-2006, 01:20 PM
kcsteck, i am interested in the ram!

VAspectra
05-25-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm running the Torker on my Olds with a 750cfm Edelbrock carb in a Spectra 20 and getting 58 on the GPS. Pump is Berk with B impeller.

HotDogz
05-25-2006, 08:44 PM
I run a Torker with a 750 and a 2" spacer on a .060 over 455. Stock Ga heads with oversized Farrea SS valves, 292 CompCam, MSD, and Bassett headers. You dont mention what kind of exhaust you are running. Good headers will pick you up a couple hundred rpm. I would think you still have more in her to bring out.
My setup spins a "B" impeller to 5200-5300 rpm with a best of 66.9 on GPS in a 19 ft Nordic. (with hook ) Ditching my "B" for an Aggressor A-2 and just try to make more horse down the road.